Thread: Instant coffee

Instant coffee

Ok I know it’s a sin for serious/gourmet coffee drinkers. And I used to be one of It happens, though, that since I had COVID in 2021 my senses of smell and taste never were the same anymore.

I just can’t stand the smell and taste of some things I used to love like Bourbon whiskey, red wine… and my taste for coffee has been permanently altered.

I used to love home brewed coffee above any other beverage, properly filtered freshly ground coffee. And I only drank instant coffee if it was the only thing available. Well, just after I recovered I couldn’t even stand the smell of it. It was like uncovering a 10 day trash can and breathing deep.

Fast forward a year and a half. Yesterday, I got sick of drinking my own coffee, which I am drinking like half for the taste I get and half for the memory of how it used to taste. Often I’d brew a pot and leave most of it.

I then thought “what the hell, if this keeps tasting like shit I might as well save water” Headed to the supermarket and bought some classic Nescafé.

Dude, I was surprised at how good it tasted. I am actually enjoying the full coffee experience again.

Go figure…

Re: Instant coffee

I have been fortunate to not have had bad COVID, so I am still able to enjoy my recent obsession with freshly roasted, whole bean Costa Rican Tarazzu, ground and drip-filtered. But even though I have a monthly subscription to such (yes, I'm obsessed!) I sometimes run out before my fresh supply arrives. When that happens, I reach into my cupboard and pull out my "old standby." It's surprisingly good!

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

I'm also a fan of "Juan" approved coffee, doesn't seem to matter if it's a store brand, or the "gourmet", but I haven't tried any instant yet.
    A couple of years ago, I had a customer who was Vietnamese, and he gave me some coffee flavored hard candy, and some instant in one cup packaging, didn't see Juan and his burro, so I didn't try any.

I'm a Folgers man. My girl gets the paper filters out, grinds the beans, boils the water, stands there pouring the water over the coffee for 10 minutes, to the point that it's a frickin' project, first thing in the morning!

I just want a cup of coffee! Mine is instant! Then I stand there making hers while I'm drinking mine. Just can't win!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Whatever comes out of the Keurig. I'm usually not awake enough to know the difference.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    I'm a Folgers man. My girl gets the paper filters out, grinds the beans, boils the water, stands there pouring the water over the coffee for 10 minutes, to the point that it's a frickin' project, first thing in the morning!

I just want a cup of coffee! Mine is instant! Then I stand there making hers while I'm drinking mine. Just can't win!
    "Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts"
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I'm a tea drinker. Thank goodness covid didn't mess with my sense for the taste for that- it's like a hobby to me!

I think I've horrified the peanut gallery with my tales of perfidy reheating coffee

I should get a subscription, but I don't know what frequency to use. I can't abide running out, like I just did today. I read the email my order was ready to pickup, 2 minutes after closing time. I hope to pick it up tomorrow before they ship it, because then I don't know when it'll get here.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    Ok I know it’s a sin for serious/gourmet coffee drinkers. And I used to be one of It happens, though, that since I had COVID in 2021 my senses of smell and taste never were the same anymore.

I just can’t stand the smell and taste of some things I used to love like Bourbon whiskey, red wine… and my taste for coffee has been permanently altered.

I used to love home brewed coffee above any other beverage, properly filtered freshly ground coffee. And I only drank instant coffee if it was the only thing available. Well, just after I recovered I couldn’t even stand the smell of it. It was like uncovering a 10 day trash can and breathing deep.

Fast forward a year and a half. Yesterday, I got sick of drinking my own coffee, which I am drinking like half for the taste I get and half for the memory of how it used to taste. Often I’d brew a pot and leave most of it.

I then thought “what the hell, if this keeps tasting like shit I might as well save water” Headed to the supermarket and bought some classic Nescafé.

Dude, I was surprised at how good it tasted. I am actually enjoying the full coffee experience again.

Go figure…
    You know, Mr. Cane, since my wife went through her chemo, she can’t stand the smell or taste of beer. Thank God she still enjoys scotch!

This discussion is making me thirsty. I just went and brewed a cup of chocolate-flavored coffee. My daughter gave me a gift of chocolate spoons (three different chocolates). Put one in a cup of coffee and stir. The spoon melts into the coffee and the result is a pleasant after-dinner drink!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I drink Newman's Own decaf out of the Keurig and it's good enough for me. Since I started dieting I use a teaspoon of 1% milk and no sugar. It gets me through the day. There is a Dunkin about a half mile up the street - went there a lot until dieting... all a memory now... a plain donut is 180 calories!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I'm somewhat in between on coffee. Can't stand instant, or Folgers and such.
    So I do get the beans, I put up the coffee the night before - grind them, water etc, and my pot had an auto start.
    I don;t bother with filtered water and all that.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Ever eat the instant crystals right off the spoon? Tremendous time saver.
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 01-07-2023 at 09:55 AM.