Thread: Fender Limited Edition Player Stratocaster - Maple Body?

Fender Limited Edition Player Stratocaster - Maple Body?

I received a above listed Strat and wanted to know what differences there were between it and a regular MIM Strat. Fender replied, and here's a portion of that they said:

"Your guitar is essentially a standard player strat but with a baked maple body, roasted maple neck, and Fat 50s pickups. These were a limited run of about 400 due to the roasted maple, so a separate spec sheet was not created. I've included a spec sheet for a standard player strat below. Hope this helps, have a great day!"

I've never heard of a "baked maple body" before. Has anyone else heard of such a thing? It seems odd they would list that, but like they said, they didn't create a separate spec sheet, so I only have their word to go on. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Fender Limited Edition Player Stratocaster - Maple Body?

Quote Originally Posted by DdC441 View Post

I've never heard of a "baked maple body" before.
    Nor have I. And I would think the only time it would make a difference would be if the guitar is naturally finished; any paint would hide the look of the maple body (which in itself is rare, from what I gather). Pics would help a lot!

And welcome to TFF!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I had never heard of maple bodied Strats. Only roasted maple necks. But for what it’s worth, it has a nicer set of pickups than most factory MiMs. those Fat 50’s are like Aces in a poker hand. And that neck probably looks killer.

From what I've read about roasting maple necks, it makes them more stable and less subject to movement in climates where the temperature and humidity changes rapidly. Roasted maple necks are not subject to "fret sprout". They can remain unfinished, or finished with tung oil or another light finish. A fretboard can be installed on a roasted maple neck, or the frets can be installed directly into the neck.

I'm not sure if the properties of roasting have any advantages for a guitar body, except perhaps the appearance, which some people like and some don't.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

My Strats have alder bodies and a baked musician.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    My Strats have alder bodies and a baked musician.
    {{{rimshot}}}
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Here's a pic of the body. Woodworking used to be a hobby, so I know a little about wood. If maple isn't figured it usually has very little grain depending on how it's finished. This does not look like maple to me. I never worked with alder, so I don't know what it looks like. Also, maple is heavy. If this were a maple body I think it would weigh more than a Les Paul!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

The body does look like alder but it and maple can often look similar.

However I see no evidence that it's been "baked".

What's the total weight of the instrument?
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

It’s actually hard to tell maple from alder beneath a thick SB finish, especially if the maple isn’t particularly figured. There’s also veneering and tinting to consider, no idea if this guitar was treated with either.

Anyhoo, I’d look for potentially unfinished areas (like the neck pocket) and cavity stickers.

My recently purchased Fender Squire Classic Vibe 70's Thinline Telecaster actually has a soft maple body. Confirmed on Fender's website. The grain is very straight as you can see.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

<edited to reflect the pic I saw was of a different axe, not even a Stratocaster. D'oh!>

I'd trade it for a BFG in Alligator Green and name the axe Godzilla.

Chuck
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 01-05-2023 at 07:43 AM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim