Thread: Consensus on San Andres ‘62 T-style guitars?

Forum Member

Consensus on San Andres ‘62 T-style guitars?

(posting here because, even though it’s not a proper Fender, they’re made by an ex Fender luthier)

So… I found one of these locally and i’m seriously considering it to scratch the tele itch.

What’s the consensus the quality and playability of these guitars? There’s very little about them online.

I’m looking into a used one in excellent condition in the 1,400 to 1,600 range. Is this an acceptable price?

Opinions?

One of these -> https://imgur.com/a/qaAsRGH

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Consensus on San Andres ‘62 T-style guitars?

Difficult to assess with only two photos but the visual execution seems to be pretty authentic. Have you played one? How do they sound?
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Got the pics of the actual guitar:

https://imgur.com/a/DQIs6FH

The guitar plays beautifully… haven’t played it a lot though so I can’t attest to tone (played through a blackstar fly when I was shopping for ukeleles for the kids).

I guess my main concern is with perceived built quality and thoughts / opinions on San Andres as a whole, to see if it’s worth it to go back and test it further. Basically if it’s worth to part with 1.5K for the guitar.

Thanks!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

$1500 doesn't seem overly outrageous for a custom Tele but I'd want to wring it out through a more substantial rig like my '64 Vibroverb or a tweed 5F6 before laying my Platinum card on the counter.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Right off the bat, I like the fact that it doesn't pretend to be a Fender. The headstock logo says what it is. It's got a three-barrel bridge, which in the minds (and hearts) of many is preferable to the six-barrels.

It may just be the photo, but the wood grain on the headstock looks a little rough to me. But that's cosmetic.

You say it plays beautifully. In my opinion, that's the first and foremost consideration. What you haven't indicated is the price. Not that you have to say, but perhaps you can compare it to a Fender (model of your choosing, I guess). Does it seem like a good/fair price? If so, I'd say "Done deal."
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Hmmm, a custom built Tele for $1500? I'd expect to pay at least two to three times that for a quality guitar, so either this guy doing it for charity or is cutting serious corners somewhere. My first question to him would be how do you sell it at this price? Anyone who can build a quality custom Tele for that price should have a cop directing traffic outside his place.

OK, a rosewood slab-board isn't going to sound very traditionally Telecaster, so it's going to be something other than the trad Telecaster experience. Might just be the pics but the fret ends look a bit untidy too. Most players I know prefer a rolled edge on a Telecaster.

Just also be aware it's a heel adjust so seasonal tweaks of the rod are a PITA.

My overall issue with it is that for another $200 you can get an American Professional II with a hardshell. They are really nice guitars that will hold up for decades.

All that said, if you love it and the hardware is quality stuff it's your money and you can spend it however you choose.

Hint, if you're looking at value Sire Guitars makes a blackguard Larry Carlton T-style that is a bang-on bargain and a half at 600 bucks.

Chuck
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 01-02-2023 at 03:29 PM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Right off the bat, I like the fact that it doesn't pretend to be a Fender. The headstock logo says what it is. It's got a three-barrel bridge, which in the minds (and hearts) of many is preferable to the six-barrels.

It may just be the photo, but the wood grain on the headstock looks a little rough to me. But that's cosmetic.

You say it plays beautifully. In my opinion, that's the first and foremost consideration. What you haven't indicated is the price. Not that you have to say, but perhaps you can compare it to a Fender (model of your choosing, I guess). Does it seem like a good/fair price? If so, I'd say "Done deal."
    Oh same boat here. I was planning on getting a Suhr to scratch the tele itch at some point, but this crossed my path. I love my Strats, and no copies from other brands have made me stray, but there’s so many tele options that I feel got that mojo going. For me the brand is a plus because of this.

The wood on the headstock looks fine in person. The lightning in the photos make it look rough, but it’s in pretty great shape.

The price is “around 1.5K”. It plays on par with my American and Mexican strats and my Les Pauls. It feels quality. Radius feels “different” to modern Tele’s I’ve played, but a good different.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    $1500 doesn't seem overly outrageous for a custom Tele but I'd want to wring it out through a more substantial rig like my '64 Vibroverb or a tweed 5F6 before laying my Platinum card on the counter.
    Agree. I plan to run it through something more substantial. And hell, even if the electronics were not up to par, I can always change that. Playability and “connection” is where it’s at for me. But I don’t want to pay over a grand for a guitar that costs much less though. Wish there was more information on the internet… or hell, at list on Reverb.

Sprk1 See my thread on the Squire Classic Vibe telecaster. I got nothing but positive feedback on the guitars, and now that it has arrived it's very well made and didn't require a setup, other than to slightly adjust the intonation. The Classic Vibe guitars are the highest of the Squire series, and if you are just looking to get into teles, it may be a good place to start. I got 20% off by ordering directly from Fender, but that sale may have ended.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Hmmm, a custom built Tele for $1500? I'd expect to pay at least two to three times that for a quality guitar, so either this guy doing it for charity or is cutting serious corners somewhere. My first question to him would be how do you sell it at this price? Anyone who can build a quality custom Tele for that price should have a cop directing traffic outside his place.
    That’s fair. Some context. These are not truly “custom”, they’re more like small batch handmade guitars from an ex Fender luthier. I expect this was a spot sale (as in limited run), and probably costed 2-3K new. This is used but in excellent condition. Also, in my country selling off brand instruments is close to imposible.

Ok, a rosewood slab-board isn't going to sound very traditionally Telecaster, so it's going to be something other than the trad Telecaster experience. Might just be the pics but the fret ends look a bit untidy too. Most players I know prefer a rolled edge on a Telecaster.
    Good point. In practice it feels right between my Les Pauls and Strats. I have played other Teles, and you’re right they feel slightly different, but this one feels more like a Tele than not. Regarding the rolled frets. These feel fine to me. I’m not a fan of modern Strats I’ve played with rolled frets. I give the rolled frets award to Gibson, even when their QC is a hit or miss these days.

Just also be aware it's a heel adjust so seasonal tweaks of the rod are a PITA.
    Noted. Hadn’t even thought about that one. That’s a con for sure.

My overall issue with it is that for another $200 you can get an American Professional II with a hardshell. They are really nice guitars that will hold up for decades.

All that said, if you love it and the hardware is quality stuff it's your money and you can spend it however you choose.

Hint, if you're looking at value Sire Guitars makes a blackguard Larry Carlton T-style that is a bang-on bargain and a half at 600 bucks.

Chuck
    That’s fair enough. Though honestly I’ve got a Player Strat that after some mods rivals my American one. Hell I think it might even play and sound better. But I digress. I guess what I’m liking for is something “special”. If this is it I don’t mind the price tag. On the other hand, if it’s not, I’d probably either get a Suhr or a Player Tele with a few upgrades.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    Sprk1 See my thread on the Squire Classic Vibe telecaster. I got nothing but positive feedback on the guitars, and now that it has arrived it's very well made and didn't require a setup, other than to slightly adjust the intonation. The Classic Vibe guitars are the highest of the Squire series, and if you are just looking to get into teles, it may be a good place to start. I got 20% off by ordering directly from Fender, but that sale may have ended.
    While fair and probably better bang for buck and value, I’m not looking to rock Squire’s. CV’s are great guitars, but I’ve been burned by Squire (decades ago, but still) and I’m looking for the extra quality and “specialness” in higher end instruments.

Or maybe in just a brand snob 😆 thanks for the recommendation though.