Thread: Top Wrapping Les Pauls

Top Wrapping Les Pauls

Top wrapping my Tune-O-Matics.

So after 50 years of "conventional" stringing I was noticing JB had all his bursts top wrapped. Asked why that is and got the old "try it you'll like it" answer from folks. I figured if JB was doing on a '59 burst it must be worthwhile.

I have a couple of really great sounding Les Pauls and didn't think I'd notice but - Holy Sheepdip! Viva la Difference! I cannot believe how much better it sounds and feels. After all these years I learned a new trick. The double ball secret is the real key I was told, so I set mine up double-balled too. The increase in sustain and the added slinkiness makes them sound super creamy and play like butta.

My advice - drop that tailpiece to the deck, double-ball the strings and top wrap. You're gonna like it.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Re: Top Wrapping Les Pauls

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post

My advice - drop that tailpiece to the deck, double-ball the strings and top wrap. You're gonna like it.
    Well, you've got me curious. Dropping the tailpiece I get, but how do you double-ball a string? And what is top wrapping?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Just keep an eye on that tailpiece. Softer ones can get a groove which leads to string breakage. Been top wrapping since 79.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Well, you've got me curious. Dropping the tailpiece I get, but how do you double-ball a string? And what is top wrapping?
    Take a look at an old LR JR. Picture inserting the string through an old ball end, then into the front of the TP and then over its top then to the tuners.
    Mark

I was going to post a long-winded description but here's a vid I found that explains it quite well.

(812) How to Top Wrap A Les Paul - YouTube
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Ah, got it, thanks! Makes a lot of sense, actually.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I've found top wrapping to work really well on guitars where you can't lower the tailpiece due to the required bridge height.

On the other hand, I've found that on guitars that have a low bridge and the tailpiece already bottomed out, top wrapping can actually make the guitar feel too slinky and give the guitar a "soft attack", for lack of a better term.

It’s all about getting the proper break over angles that works for the guitar. I find matching the bridge to TP to the same as the nut to peg head works well for Gibbys. Break angles do impact ‘slinky’ feeling.
    Mark

I have top wrapped my Les Paul when I owned one, but never heard of double balling before. What’s the benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    I have top wrapped my Les Paul when I owned one, but never heard of double balling before. What’s the benefit?
    Sometimes the wraps on the end of the string end up bent as they exit the tailpiece. This happens on Les Paul Jrs and Specials with wrap tail/bridges as well. This can lead to string breakage and/or the sharp end of the wrap poking you. That was the case with my Kauer Daylighter Jr. Adding a second ball end helps.

You can't see the added ball ends here. They're inside the counter bore

I tried top-wrapping mine a while back and TBH, I didn't notice any difference.
    Maybe I'll give it another go next time I do a restring, It doens't cost any different other than adjusting
    the TP.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I played a job this weekend filling in for a friend, I did notice the tuning was a little touchy. I'll play it again this week and decide.