Thread: Recommend some horn parts?

Recommend some horn parts?

I just got done transcribing the sax solo in the Stones Can't You Hear Me Knocking, and can see that playing horn parts on the guitar is going to help out my dynamics if nothing else.
    I don't listen to a lot of music with horn sections, but think I might start. Who has some good suggestions?
    A friend of mine is working on Au Privave, and from what I've heard it's a bit much for me at this point, something less technical maybe?

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.

Recommend some horn parts?

Well, there's the mouthpiece, the slide, the valves, the bell, the tubing, and the spit-valve...

Try Charlie Parker or John Coltrane. That'll keep you busy.
    Sell me that guitar!

Re: Recommend some horn parts?

Originally posted by Sven
    Well, there's the mouthpiece, the slide, the valves, the bell, the tubing, and the spit-valve...
    Right on man! I knew someone would have the answer I was lookin for.

Now that I know the parts, maybe I'll see what's going on with what everyone is telling me about. Who are these Coltrane, Parker people? ;)

stxrus

Re: Re: Recommend some horn parts?

Originally posted by j d
    Right on man! I knew someone would have the answer I was lookin for.

Now that I know the parts, maybe I'll see what's going on with what everyone is telling me about. Who are these Coltrane, Parker people? ;)
    just a coupla old geezers that probably had harelips or something. for really hot action check out kenny g or that yanni cat. HEAVY DUTY

also, for the parts don't forget the reeds. very important those reeds. they shuld be made of a reedy type of material also.:tw59

have fun
    steve

I think Charlie Parker and John Coltrane would be a bit difficult. Try some James Brown, in particular, Maceo Parker. The funky stuff. Lots of one-chord vamps, where phrasing is really important since there are no chord changes.

For jazz, I like Lester Young. Charlie Christian learned a lot from him.

If I understand, you're looking for recorded horn parts which you can apply to guitar.

If that's right, then I suggest you snag both "White Trash" releases by Edgar Winter, the second being titled "Recycled".

Both are rich with playable horn parts in the finest blue-eye'd soul tradition I've ever heard. I had a band at one time with twin guitars, sax, and trumpet. We copped and lifted several Edgar Winter horn arrangements and stuck'em in other tunes with the two guitars playing parts with the horns. LOVED IT!

Good luck!
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

Originally posted by doc540
    If I understand, you're looking for recorded horn parts which you can apply to guitar.
    Yep, that's what I'm lookin' for. Still haven't gone to buy the music yet, I'll check the Edgar Winter stuff. Thanks for the suggestions!

Forum Member
    jd, I was just listening to that song today and thinking about trying the horn parts on guitar too. :wail2
    Got Strat