Thread: The "It's Sunday - December 11, 2022" Thread

The "It's Sunday - December 11, 2022" Thread

Good morning/afternoon/evening!

The gloom of winter has descended upon us here in the mid-Atlantic. Temps in the 30s and 40s, a bite to the wind, and the sun has gone to warmer climes. Christmas is two weeks away. I've finished almost all my shopping, and today I think I'll send out Christmas cards.

Little else is happening here, other than a first-world problem: Our trash removal company suddenly went out of business -- literally overnight -- leaving some 3,000 homes without service. Alternatives have been sought, and talks are underway with a new company, so for the time being we have to make do with a disruption. This affects me less than others, since I live alone and don't generate the amounts of refuse families with kids do. Like I said, first-world problem.

Enjoy the Sunday!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The "It's Sunday - December 11, 2022" Thread

It’s another gray, dismal day here on the western shore of Lake Michigan, and I guess we have a large winter storm headed our way with up to 12” of snow possible. The snowblower is all gassed up and ready to go so I’m as prepared for this as I can be.

My mother passed away last year and I’ve been busy emptying out her home so I can put it on the market and have encountered a problem I hadn’t planned on. She left a listing spelling out what of her possessions she wanted to be given to various family members and here’s where the problem lies. Nobody wants it. I have her china, my grandmother’s china, antique crystal stemware, antique furniture, etc that I will probably end up donating to Goodwill or one of those agencies because I already have my own and have no need or room to put more in my home.

It appears that the young people of today don’t entertain as past generations did and have no need for the accoutrements of fine dining.
    Last edited by Laker; 12-11-2022 at 12:24 PM.

Pretty sure winter is about here. Had to get snow off the boat this morning. When it's below freezing you need to watch out for ice making her top heavy. You can feel the ice because the rolling of the boat starts getting slower, that's when you know you need to get rid of it. Water temps in the 40's so fish are getting finnicky.

Anyhoo, both bands are working well. Second band is turning out to be a whole lot of fun. Everyone has enough talent, repertoire and good enough ears our set lists are more "suggestions" than a firm itinerary. A between songs noodle turned into a full New Speedway Boogie jam that went about ten and then morphed into the Rock and Roll Animal version of Sweet Jane. During the live sets I've been experimenting with a treble-boosted Strat and gotta say it's an amazingly fun way to play. The clearness and cut is really liberating. It also really forces you to think because there's no place to hide. LOL, it's only taken a few decades to get there.

Other than that, just trying to keep my head low during the Holidays. Helping the better half bake cookies. We are on band Holiday starting next weekend for three weeks and looking forward to that!

Oh yeah - had the boiler for the Offshore-a-rosa inspected and it needs replacing. Another $13,287 down the pipe. So far I'm just over $100K in house repairs this year. Yay! (Not counting the new tractor either.)

But really, first world problems. Not complaining.

Anticipating the Artemis splashdown. Will watch live.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

cold and cloudy here, sun is trying to peek through the clouds before the snow arrives. I want to get a walk in, probably by going to the grocery store and getting a few things. When it does snow, I'm staying in and let all the short-memoried people do their annual pinball imitation aka indoctrination and/or introduction to driving in snow.

Sold a guitar yesterday, getting another one ready to be put up today. Got three bodies, who knows how many necks, pickups, parts else to list. I was looking for something yesterday and found 6 boxes unopened. A couple were from Stew Mac so I know those were most likely tools.

Two weeks to Christmas and I don't even have my window lights up. I used to have them on Thursday night of Thanksgiving. Just not in the Christmas mood at all this year. Fortunately got my brother's name for Secret Santa and he's easy to buy for. Gift certificate to restaurants. Same for me.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Worked my ass off yesterday. Took the Sunday to relax.

I recently started to learn a thing or two about proper cooking, it’s a quasi semi new hobby. Got some decent kitchenware and right now it’s 8 pm, I am sipping a nice Spanish red wine and listening to some Sonny Rollins while I keep my eye on a risotto I’m finishing.

We’ll finally get to play again. Our drummer is still busy with his things and we started a new thing with another drummer. We’ll hit the studio again on Thursday. Can’t wait.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    I recently started to learn a thing or two about proper cooking, it’s a quasi semi new hobby. Got some decent kitchenware and right now it’s 8 pm, I am sipping a nice Spanish red wine and listening to some Sonny Rollins while I keep my eye on a risotto I’m finishing.
    Don't neglect your spice and herb inventory.

I reckon I got a hundred or so bottles of various seasonings in my spice cabinet.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Late to the party... Spent close to an hour on the phone with TeleBob today. He's helping me get back to recording and about time, too! This weekend seemed to go way too quickly and this week is probably going to DRAG-G-G-G... We're getting a nice soft snowfall which is fun to watch. The @$$clowns will be out in force tomorrow and my daughter still has my truck, so Ill probably work from home tomorrow so I don't risk the Mustang.

Have a great week all!!!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

A lot of family drama stress in my life. On a positive...had a great show and sound gig with Paul Nelson... for anyone not familiar her was johnny winter side man and manager towards the end. Great band. Joey Pafumi was on drums....met him in 03 I think with walter trout and it was my first blues fest also right where I began playing. Had a second show sat night running sound. All but drums and bass were ampless. Keys...acoustic....2 electric guitars and vocs. Handy getting these right before the holidays. Picked up one stratbfrom a friend that tweeked the circuit for me a little. I hadn't played it in a while and when I got it back it felt and sounded awesome.
    That all said....it outweighed the drama. I'll take the win.
    Last edited by FrankJohnson; 12-11-2022 at 07:12 PM.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>