Thread: Squire Classic Vibe 70's Tele Thinline

Squire Classic Vibe 70's Tele Thinline

Does anyone have any experience with one of these guitars? I'm mainly interested in how well the frets are dressed from the factory, or whether I would need to spend $$ for a setup right off the bat. They are back ordered at GC currently, but I found one site where they are in stock for about $40 more. Oddly, GC says they are not available for in-store pickup. Which I find kind of strange, since I know it's best to play a guitar before buying it.

Last edited by Michael Smith; 12-07-2022 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Image didn't show up
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Re: Squire Classic Vibe 70's Tele Thinline

I don’t own a CV guitar , but I do have 4 CV Basses. 3 are fretted. Those 3 are totally playable and gigable as they came.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    I don’t own a CV guitar , but I do have 4 CV Basses. 3 are fretted. Those 3 are totally playable and gigable as they came.
    Thanks Mark. I've always wanted one of these, since I saw Tab Benoit playing the Gibson version several times here in Houston. He picked his first one up used from a music store in Houston while recording his first album at Sugarhill Studios. I do know a good guitar tech here, but he is always backed up with loads of work. I can do the basic setup (neck relief, saddle height, intonation, etc), but not fret leveling or dressing. The guitar is available in natural or the 3 color sunburst finish I showed in the photo. I think I like the sunburst better.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Update: Fender has the CV thinline teles on sale for 20% off, or $392, but only have the natural finished ones in stock. So I think that is the route I will go.

Edit: Order placed. Free shipping. Should arrive in 2 to 7 business days. I will give my general impressions once it arrives.
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 12-08-2022 at 05:05 PM.

I bought one of these when they first came out. A GuitarCenter FSR exclusive at the introductory price of $399. Absolutely not a thing wrong with it requiring attention. Perfect in every respect. Even the pickups were very nice. I would not consider changing a thing on this guitar.

Squiers are better today than ever, though there are still alot of deniers and brand snobs out there when it comes to Squier branded instruments. I've purchased seven Classic Vibes in the last year. I find I'm playing them a lot more than my much more expensive guitars.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/...inline&index=1
    Born in Fullerton, California in 1952

Sorry, double post...

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    I bought one of these when they first came out. A GuitarCenter FSR exclusive at the introductory price of $399. Absolutely not a thing wrong with it requiring attention. Perfect in every respect. Even the pickups were very nice. I would not consider changing a thing on this guitar.

Squiers are better today than ever, though there are still alot of deniers and brand snobs out there when it comes to Squier branded instruments. I've purchased seven Classic Vibes in the last year. I find I'm playing them a lot more than my much more expensive guitars.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/...inline&index=1
    Good to know Bobbymac. According to the FedEx tracker, mine is out for delivery today. I will take some photo's after I inspect the setup.

The guitar arrived in good condition. Initial inspection revealed no flaws, dings or scratches. Frets were well polished and the fret ends rounded off. After initial tuning, I adjusted the intonation at the 12 fret. No need to adjust truss rod at this time (I will have to find my feeler gauges). I had to tighten a few screws on the pickguard, 3 way switch and bridge plate slightly.

The finish on the neck and fretboard is the high-gloss, which is not my favorite, but I think my American Strat neck came that way also, and it got less "sticky" over time. I haven't played it thru an amp yet, just noodled around a bit while tuning the strings.

It seemed to pass "Rusty's" initial cat scan.

Last edited by Michael Smith; 12-15-2022 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Photos and comments added.

That is an awesome score. I really like the look. You even got some flame in that neck! Congrats! HNGD!

Does it have a country of origin marking on it? I'm wondering who made it.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Does it have a country of origin marking on it? I'm wondering who made it.
    Looks like it says "Crafted In Indonesia" on the reverse side of the headstock.

Who made the kitty?
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post

Who made the kitty?
    Thanks PM, I can't see the pic on this IP login. If it's Indonesia there's a good likelihood they are made by Cort, and Cort makes some fine guitars.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Yes, it is made in Indonesia. According to the serial number lookup feature on Fender's website, it was built in December, 2022, although that seems kind of unlikely that they could ship it to California that quickly. Maybe that's the date it arrived in California, and when Fender assigns a serial number to it.

One thing I noticed that's odd to me is that it doesn't have a separate fretboard, but the frets are installed right into the maple neck. On my other (cheaper) made in China Squire tele, the maple neck has a maple fretboard installed. Does anyone have any experience with the current production Squires that could confirm the no separate fretboard? I will try to take some detailed pictures, but will have to find some good natural light inside my house so I don't have to use the flash on my camera.

Here are 2 pictures. It's probably easiest to see in the picture of where the neck meets the body, that the grain lines run all way to the top of the neck.

Last edited by Michael Smith; 12-16-2022 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added photos

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post

Who made the kitty?
    "Rusty" was born on my side patio about 5 1/2 years ago. We brought him inside when he was about 3 months old, and he's been here ever since.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

He's a good lookin' guy.

Seems like he digs the new Tele too.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."