Thread: How are Fender selling new amps like this???

Forum Member

How are Fender selling new amps like this???

Just got this brand new Fender '68 Princeton Custom Reverb an hour ago after falling for all the marketing hype and shlick from Fender and all
    the lovely video demos you see on Youtube. Please tell me if this is normal?

The dealer said it was tested and this is acceptable noise...

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: How are Fender selling new amps like this???

Simple answer. They load 'em on a truck and ship 'em to dealers then rely on those dealers to cope with customers' gripes. That ivory tower in Scottsdale is pretty isolated.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

That hum is so bad that something must have happened during shipping. I can't imagine it left the factory sounding like that.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    That hum is so bad that something must have happened during shipping. I can't imagine it left the factory sounding like that.
    do they really listen to each and every amp before it leaves? I wonder how many amps a day leave the assembly line?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    do they really listen to each and every amp before it leaves? I wonder how many amps a day leave the assembly line?
    You think all the amps come from Corona, California?

Nope......FMIC is a worldwide conglomerate with manufacturing facilities in the US, Mexico, the PRC, Malaysia, and elsewhere. Virtually nothing from their regular production lines is tested anymore. Fender can't be bothered with such mundane tasks anymore -- they're too busy dreaming up goofy hats for their "Lifestyles" catalog to be concerned by such trivial matters as QC/QA.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

If I paid $1,200 for that amp and it arrived in that condition, I would not be happy. Would Fender attempt to repair it under their warranty, or just toss it in a landfill and give the customer a new one? I'll stick to 1960's and 1970's silverface Fenders that I know can be serviced and repaired, even 50 years later.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Pffft. There were issues with new amps back in the day too.

Unfortunately, we never saw what the amp is plugged into so while I don't smell fish, I'm definitely looking on the bottom machine.

The part where he turned up the trem was a bit of a head scratcher too. The trem appeared to be working perfectly.

Tube amps can be a bit cranky. We learn to live with it.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim