Thread: Best Beatles Album?

Best Beatles Album?

i have a sleeper opinion on this one.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Best Beatles Album?

If I could only have one, I'd take "Rubber Soul".
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Mine are Revolver and Sgt. Peppers, for entirely different reasons.

I have to go with Please Please Me as my fav Beatles album.

It's the one that has the true essence of the band in it's purest form and the best songwriting IMHO.
    It starts with I Saw Her Standing There and ends with Twist and Shout. THAT's the sound of the Beatles and the British Invasion, game over.

The Beatles basically became the antithesis of the Dead. One fell into the trap of convoluted studio recordings and the other is still centered on live performance and still going strong after 60 years. Stones are keeping it real too.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I'm thinking "A Hard Day's Night", might have the strongest songwriting, particularly the Lennon songs. It is their first album to contain no cover songs and was written and recorded in a relatively short period of time while they were involved in a flurry of other activities. I know that Rubber Soul and Revolver are said to mark the beginning of the "evolution" of the music. This is just my opinion, and there is no wrong answer to the "best" of anything.

Here's an interesting factoid. The song "I'll Cry Instead" which appears on the US (Capital) "Something New" LP, as well as the United Artist's A Hard Day's Night Soundtrack LP contains a verse not on the Parlophone (EMI) LP, and is about 20 seconds longer. The CD version (Parlophone/Apple Records) which is part of the first Beatles boxed set also contains the shorter version of the song.

Probably of no interest to anyone but the hardcore Beatles geeks (like me), lol.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Up until the Beatles I was playing Buddy Holly, Harry Belafonte, Gene Vincent, and songs by other popular American artists so I’d have to say “Introducing the Beatles” would be the best for me. It got us out of rock-a-billy three chord music and into a bit more sophisticated stuff.

I'll try to upload our version of "things we said today" to YT and post the link here. I'm a little rusty on the video software needed to post to YT, but hopefully I will remember.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Honestly, it depends upon my mood. Rubber Soul is always in the top 3.
    Mark

After not uploading any music videos to YT for a couple of years, I was able to figure it out this morning with only a few hiccups!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    After not uploading any music videos to YT for a couple of years, I was able to figure it out this morning with only a few hiccups!

As always, great job!

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    As always, great job!
    I agree!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

We also attempted a cover of "If I Fell", but couldn't figure out the vocals. Oh well, I have some instrumental backing tracks.

Rosewood
    Ford Trucks
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I'm not sure I have a favorite. My initial response to this question was, "Whichever one I happen to be listening to." There are some Beatles albums that are mash-ups "Love - Cirque de Soleil soundtrack" and then there's "1," which compiles all 27 of the band's #1 hits in the U.K. and U.S.

Here's an oddball bit of trivia: In 1963, I was living in Bangkok, Thailand, when the Beatles first hit the scene. What was released in the U.S. as Please Please Me was available in Bangkok via an India-pressed vinyl on the Parlophone label titled Meet The Beatles. Their second album released in the U.S. also titled Meet The Beatles did not have the same track list or cover photo. Rather, the cover photo was the one used on With The Beatles (confused, yet?).

Apparently Parlophone, EMI and Capitol Records were much like Fender in their early years, mixing and matching, sometimes for unknown reasons.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

The UK albums generally did not contain the songs released as singles. The Beatles apparently objected to fans having to pay for the same song twice. Also, it was customary for the UK albums to contain 14 songs, while Capital in the US only wanted 10 or 11 songs. So the UK and US releases always differed up until Sgt. Pepper.

There's a guy on YT that is kind of a Beatles expert (Parlogram Auctions), and he discusses Beatle's oddities.