Thread: Modern vs Vintage-Style Strat Pickguard

Forum Member

Modern vs Vintage-Style Strat Pickguard

I'm new here. I looked around and searched this topic but failed to find an thread. Based on the wealth of knowledge here, I'll bet someone has an answer. If there is a thread maybe someone can point me to it.

I'm building up a new MJT strat style body someone gave me (weird, right?) with a genuine Fender neck. I was told I need a vintage-style pickguard for this. My question is: is the difference between Fender Vintage-Style pickguards and Fender Modern pickguards just the mounting hole placement and the truss rod scallop or are there other differences? Pickup placement? Bridge placement? Since the body has never had a pickguard on it, there are no mounting holes so if the only difference is the mounting holes, can I use either a Vintage or Modern guard?

Thanks

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Modern vs Vintage-Style Strat Pickguard

I can't say absolutely, but I think all American made Strat pickguards are all the same shape & only the screw holes are different. By that I mean Standard vs. AVRI. Obviously the holes for the pickups are going to be different according to whatever p'ups are in there
    Last edited by Cogs; 11-18-2022 at 03:29 PM.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

The holes in a vintage-spec Strat pickguard are all countersunk for use with oval-head fasteners -- pickup mounting screws, switch mounting screws, and the mounting screws for the pickguard itself. The modern-spec Strat pickguard uses common round-head machine screws for the pickups and selector switch. If your body is intended for use as a '54 through '57 instrument, you'll have difficulty installing a post-1957 11-screw pickguard because the control-cavity rout is different for the earlier guitars.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

TFF Stage Crew

Dang, you're right. I forgot about the screws & the little "shoulder" in the control cavity. The holes can be beveled w/a countersink if you're careful