Thread: Scratching an itch for a looper

Scratching an itch for a looper

when I jammed with my friend this weekend, he surprised me with his acquisition of a looper pedal and an acoustic amp. He's a through and through acoustic player, doesn't know what do to with an electric guitar. Technical stuff is not his forte. Yet, he started playing, found the groove he wanted and before I knew it, had a backing track looping. It was so seamless that I looked up to see that he wasn't playing yet it was his guitar I was hearing as if he hadn't stopped.

I've been trying for years and years to develop my recording chops so I could make a backing track to play along with. First I have to set up and arm the DAW, set levels, tempo, key, signal path, amp models if using any, effects if using any, set their levels etc. So often by the time I get everything ready, it's an hour later (10-15 minutes on a good day if I had been doing it frequently) and I've forgotten what I wanted to work on.

And here's my buddy, who wouldn't know the slightest thing about gain staging, panning et al, throwing down in minutes what would take me the better part of an hour, if I actually succeeded in recording something useful.

Now I want to get a looper. I want it simple, don't know about needing to save stuff, I highly doubt if I'll be using it for more than my own practicing and composing. If there was a way to send the loop to my DAW via USB/whatever, great but not crucial. Does anybody have a recommendation for a simple looper pedal, for home use, not gigging?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Scratching an itch for a looper

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    when I jammed with my friend this weekend, he surprised me with his acquisition of a looper pedal and an acoustic amp. He's a through and through acoustic player, doesn't know what do to with an electric guitar. Technical stuff is not his forte. Yet, he started playing, found the groove he wanted and before I knew it, had a backing track looping. It was so seamless that I looked up to see that he wasn't playing yet it was his guitar I was hearing as if he hadn't stopped.

I've been trying for years and years to develop my recording chops so I could make a backing track to play along with. First I have to set up and arm the DAW, set levels, tempo, key, signal path, amp models if using any, effects if using any, set their levels etc. So often by the time I get everything ready, it's an hour later (10-15 minutes on a good day if I had been doing it frequently) and I've forgotten what I wanted to work on.

And here's my buddy, who wouldn't know the slightest thing about gain staging, panning et al, throwing down in minutes what would take me the better part of an hour, if I actually succeeded in recording something useful.

Now I want to get a looper. I want it simple, don't know about needing to save stuff, I highly doubt if I'll be using it for more than my own practicing and composing. If there was a way to send the loop to my DAW via USB/whatever, great but not crucial. Does anybody have a recommendation for a simple looper pedal, for home use, not gigging?
    Uh, use the DAW? Just create the loop, trim and then stretch it out. Easy peasy, and you can come back to it anytime you wish. It's a real challenge to use a loop pedal and not lose the timing.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

I'm usually just fooling around by myself, and a few years back bought an RC-3 which suited my purpose. It even had a memory I could recall. I also picked up a Digitech trio which would generate drum/bass accompaniment and I tried with little success to mate the 2. I then found a Trio+ which is both pedals in one, and for me works reasonably well.

I have a TC Electronics Ditto pedal on my acoustic board. It is really easy to use.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I have a TC Electronics Ditto pedal on my acoustic board. It is really easy to use.
    there are a couple now, which one do you have?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    there are a couple now, which one do you have?
    The smaller one... https://www.tcelectronic.com/product...odelCode=P0DD4
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain