Thread: 1998 min std fender with weird pick set up can someone explain

Forum Member

1998 min std fender with weird pick set up can someone explain

hi, everyone, I just bought a 1998 Mim std Strat, i received a diagram with the guitar if anyone can figure it out, please advise. there is a push pull on the tone control and the middle control knob is an ABC middle control it dials three positions. I can seem to be able to attach this diagram to this thread it says hb-10 with ten different pick-up settings kind of like David Gilmore set up
    the diagram tittle ROCK IT SCIENCE labs advanced guitar technology HB-10

Re: 1998 min std fender with weird pick set up can someone explain

You need to upload your photo of the diagram to an image hosting site like Imgur, and then copy and paste the link generated for the photo into theFenderforum. I did a search for the title of the diagram you mentioned and came up empty.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

https://imgur.com/a/TyuKxT5 hope this works

It worked, but too blurry for me to read.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

That's interesting. I don't know how hard it'd be to explain - seems that switch in place of the neck tone control
    changes the pickup combinations between series and parallel. at least between A and B settings, the C setting adds the neck pickup into the fun, and gives the 'all three' and bridge & neck combos that are missing on most strats.
    Obviously it's an aftermarket mod - Fender did something similar a year or 2 later than that, but it left the tone controls alone and added a small push-push button to add the neck pickup on the back 2 settings.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    Fender did something similar a year or 2 later than that, but it left the tone controls alone and added a small push-push button to add the neck pickup on the back 2 settings.
    Correct......that was the S-1 switching option usually furnished with the SCN pickups. And in that case the "C' designation referred to a special tone cap that was inserted into the wiring for specific "series" switch positions to simulate a humbucking pickup. A total of ten factory tones were possible with that configuration.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

I think I will have my local shop open this up and verify, i might want to go back to original pick-up layout is it worth keeping it this way, guess I will plug it in and test it out, the work looks very well done, curious to see what's under the hood of this guitar,

thank you Guys I will post again when I get more info .

thanks /bob

Very interesting modification! If the wiring was done professionally and there are no extraneous noises present, I would leave it as is. It looks like you can get the "normal" strat settings among the options provided.

Forum Member

it sure looks like it was well done clean no marks, i will photo it when it's opened up and everything verified. once again thanks for helping me out .