Thread: String change

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

String change

Put some LaBella Black tape wounds on my Fretless Jazz. That was always the plan, and it delivered! Awesome
    Mark

Re: String change

I had a beautiful black fretless jazz bass. I sold it for some reason. I kind of regret it now. It was used on a few recordings, but I didn't keep records of which guitars were used on which songs. Another regret, lol.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

I’ve never tried the black tape wounds on my fretless Jazz. How would you compare them to regular flats? Btw, a while back, I did send you a reply about your Höfner questions. Did you ever decide on a Höfner? I do have a set of black tape wound for mine but going to wait a bit to use them. I love the LaBella’s on there now.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

In reply to both:
    1st I got laid off so no gear acquisition.
    The tapes are almost as mellow as my Labella flats. But so in a different way. Never had flats on my Fretless so comparing to flats on a P Bass.

my initial thoughts are on the E and A strings it pretty close. The D and G strings are different. The Tapes on the Jazz are more trebly but less present than the flats on the P Bass.

For 1 of my gigs just got scheduled for the next 2 weeks on bass. Going to run through the set list on the fretless. If all is good I’ll take it to rehearsal.
    Mark

Well took it to rehearsal last night. The band LOVED it and it gets the thumbs up for live this weekend.
    I asked a number of times if my intonation was solid and was told yes. I do need to watch hitting octaves as I tend to be a little flat on the high octave.
    A number of people said, "You are doing more runs" which is not the case. They are just hearing them better I believe. It may be for the overall sound we have, the JB cuts better, and being fretless and with tapes is still mellow.

Doesn't matter to me. They're happy so I am happy.
    Mark

Good for you. Jaco knew the right bass for fretless playing. It took me a couple of hours to get used to mine, and now, I have no problem with staying on key. It’s an addictive way of playing, isn’t it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Agreed. Still need to improve my skills while sight reading and transposing on the fly. That’s no prob on fretted instruments, a touch rough Fretless.
    IE: supplied music is in C we are doing it in Eb
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Well took it to rehearsal last night. The band LOVED it and it gets the thumbs up for live this weekend.
    I asked a number of times if my intonation was solid and was told yes. I do need to watch hitting octaves as I tend to be a little flat on the high octave.
    A number of people said, "You are doing more runs" which is not the case. They are just hearing them better I believe. It may be for the overall sound we have, the JB cuts better, and being fretless and with tapes is still mellow.

Doesn't matter to me. They're happy so I am happy.

Very nice. Does your band have social media/videos?

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    Not this one, but my other does. Doubt if the taped Jazz will work there. If I play bass with them, it’s normally my Dingwall or Ric. I did use the fretted Jazz there once as the strings on the Ric need replacing.
    Mark

Here's a link to me on guitar playing the Tele.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1dwBPXTaQ
    Mark

Nice band, although I only saw snippets of a pair of hands on a Thinline Tele. Way to keep your face hidden.

I am not familiar with any of the song choices, and the production values are quite good, as are the singers.

My church is a humble little fellowship room off a coffee shop (which we own). We don't have the mega-church facilities, lights, and sound system you do. Still, we have talent, and I sometimes play with them, too. Well done!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Nice songs and nice church!

Nice songs and nice church!
    Thank you. Yes not much video time for those other than singers. Rarely a face shot. In fact there’s times there are no bass shots. Depends on how many camera people we have and what’s cut out in production.

We normally cut out 2-3 songs for production for the video for time sake.
    At this church, we rehearse then perform live on Thursday. Then we perform again live a couple times Sunday. For the online Sunday posting, it is the production of Thursday’s performance.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Nice band, although I only saw snippets of a pair of hands on a Thinline Tele. Way to keep your face hidden.

I am not familiar with any of the song choices, and the production values are quite good, as are the singers.

My church is a humble little fellowship room off a coffee shop (which we own). We don't have the mega-church facilities, lights, and sound system you do. Still, we have talent, and I sometimes play with them, too. Well done!
    Im in witness protection LOL
    Mark

Not the best production (audio is a little hot) but me on the Ric bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEwr3crFsaA
    Mark

And not much on the video, but me playing the Dingwall bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDkdYn_K9Wc&t=1038s
    Mark