Thread: How To Buy a Guitar Case?

How To Buy a Guitar Case?

In another post, I mentioned the angst I had over putting my 50 year-old 12-string on an airplane as checked baggage, and so I didn't. The reason I had trepidation is because the original guitar case I have for it is a "hard shell" where the hard part isn't really. Hey, it's 50 years old, too. Worse, there isn't any foam padding, so the guitar rattles around in the case when I carry it.

After checking with the guys at Seven C Music, they seemed to think that if I just put bubble wrap around the body and tape the case with brown tape, I shouldn't have any problem. Okay, I might do that. But that leads me to the question: How do I shop for a case?

I have two guitars I think would benefit from a good case. My 12-string, only because of its sentimental value, and the other is my custom built guitar. The 12-string is a fairly standard size dreadnought, but the headstock is obviously longer. Gator makes a case that ought to fit, the
    GC-DREAD-12. If I bought from Sweetwater, I could return it if it doesn't fit. But I hate the buy-and-return process. Still...

But I cannot find a case to fit my custom archtop. The builder put it into a Gator resonator guitar case. It's a close fit, but not great. And it's a great guitar! SBK makes cases for the Taylor GS Mini, and they fit the way I want the case for my custom to fit. One thing I've considered is buying a case like the Cedar Mill Guitar Rifle case, which is pure foam inside that requires cutting to fit.

So, if your guitar isn't a Strat, a Tele, an LP or SG, how do you buy one, sight unseen?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Re: How To Buy a Guitar Case?

I have a Shecter round back A/E that I got with no case, after searching, (with no luck), for a factory case, I realized the case manufacturers give detailed dimensions. After a little research, I figured out that an Ovation mid depth case was/is the right fit.
    As for protection, I've owned a couple of the SKB shaped molded cases, one for Strat/Tele, and another for an SG, I won't say they can't be destroyed, but one would have to work at it!

Re: How To Buy a Guitar Case?

I have three SKB cases, and they're terrific! Sturdy and not too pricey. I bought one for my GS Mini, as they make one specifically for that guitar model. It turns out the same case fits my Breedlove Companion, so I bought another. Then, I have one for my 1957 Gibson ES-225, which was a godsend, as the original case is falling apart. The fit is superb!

The problem is that my custom guitar is small: roughly the same body size as the GS Mini, but with a longer neck and headstock. For comparison, below is a photo of my Taylor 652ce 12-string with the other two. Sadly, the Taylor's body is longer, or I'd consider its case.

I'm really tempted to order a
    Calton case ("the hardest working cases in show business"). They have long lists of makes and models, but mine is a custom, so I would have to go through the tedious job of measuring and tracing, and for me that would mean moving furniture, getting paper and supplies and the bother I would like to avoid if I could just find a suitable case. I know it's hoping against hope, but I want to eliminate the possibilities before I go down that road.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!