Thread: Peavey Classic 30 112

Peavey Classic 30 112

Forgot just how much I love this little amp.

I had to have a practice rig at a rehearsal space so I pulled my extremely well-travelled Classic 30 112 out of storage and set her up.

After the first song we were all in awe of this little amp. It just does everything so well. I've long since disconnected the reverb tank in it and just does that gritty cutting clean thing better than any amp I own. Strat or LP, it doesn't care. I figure I've had it at least 25 years and it's still the nicest little combo I've played. When you are halfway through a practice set and realize you've never stomped on a pedal you know you have a winner.

To me it falls right between a Fender DR and an AC15 on the top boost inputs. Never understood why they aren't more popular. SRV, Nile Rodgers, and many more loved them. I guess it's the nameplate that puts a lot of people off? (Then, of course, most tone snobs wouldn't be caught dead with a Peavey Bandit but they were the amp of choice for live gigging players for a long time!)

Any other C30 aficionados out there?

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Re: Peavey Classic 30 112

That sounds like an amp that I'd really like. In fact, your description makes it sound a lot like my Dr. Z Cure, but with more power and a lot less expensive. I don't know why I've never looked at one seriously. Maybe because I bought a new Peavey Classic 20 many years ago and it turned out to be a horrible little amp (I know they're very different amps, but decisions like this aren't always rationally made). Thanks- I'll keep it on my radar.

This is one of my favorite amps. Never owned one but been around them a lot on the road.

Is yours covered in tweed?

I always thought I’d replace my Hot Rod Deluxe with a C30 but the Blues Jr was lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    This is one of my favorite amps. Never owned one but been around them a lot on the road.

Is yours covered in tweed?

I always thought I’d replace my Hot Rod Deluxe with a C30 but the Blues Jr was lighter.
    It's covered with scrapes and dents but yes, it is a tweed.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim