Thread: 1960 Fender Tremolux 5E9-A

Forum Member

1960 Fender Tremolux 5E9-A

I just inherited a 1960 Fender Tremolux amplifier (production code JA) that appears to be completely original; even the tubes. It does have a 1958 12" Utah speaker in it that I have never seen before in old tweed amps. It has a large, heavy magnet. It is very dusty inside and dirty outside, but the white panel markings are in very good shape!
    Would anyone know if it is possible that the speaker could also be original?
    Would anyone have any tips on what should be serviced?
    I am told that it works, but I have yet to turn it on.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: 1960 Fender Tremolux 5E9-A

Utah was not brought on board as a speaker supplier to Fender until the mid '60s (ie: the blackface era). It's likely that the OEM speaker for your amp was a Jensen P12R or P12Q.

As for servicing, the electrolytic caps in the filter array and those that comprise the cathode-bypass circuits probably need to be replaced (my brand choice would be F&T's). Any resistors that appear crispy or toasty should be replaced. The amp should be brought up to operating voltage slowly using a variac transformer. If these procedures exceed your skill set, take the amp to a competent technician who is familiar with early Fender architecture.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

That is quite a find! Even though I have performed complete service on 3 or 4 amps from the late 60's and 70's, I wouldn't attempt servicing an amp of that vintage myself. Like Phantomman advised, find a competent tech who has experience with amps from that era.

It would be great if you could post some pictures of the amp, inside and out, including close ups of inside the chassis.

Edit: I just noticed you are in Michigan. Contact Terry at D-Lab Electronics. I think his contact info is shown on his YT channel. He would be able to advise you on the best plan to service the amp.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

I'd just say what these guys said. That's an awesome find and should be serviced before playing to avoid damaging anything.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    It would be great if you could post some pictures of the amp, inside and out, including close ups of inside the chassis.
    +1

It's imperative that you document the amp. Images of an unmolested tweed Fender amp are priceless.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."