Thread: The "Hey, It's The Sunday Thread" for October 16, 2022

The "Hey, It's The Sunday Thread" for October 16, 2022

I'm welcoming a bit of quiet week, as next week will be quite the busy one. My birthday falls on Wednesday, and at the dinner event we have every couple of weeks, they'll have my favorite cake for dessert: German chocolate!

I renewed my membership in the open mic club (has it really been a year already?), but lately I've not been feeling inspired to get onstage, but rather to just enjoy the music and the food instead. Maybe playing my new Tele has something to do with this? I don't know. One fellow last week took the stage playing a left-handed Rickenbacker. so it's not like electrics are against the law or anything.

The weather this week has been delightful. Chilly mornings and then sunny, short-sleeve afternoons. If Autumn could be like this every day... But it can't.

Another "nothing special" Sunday for me. How's everyone else faring?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The "Hey, It's The Sunday Thread" for October 16, 2022

Heading down to the water in a bit. Keeping the boat exercised until I take her to Florida for winter fishing. Back home early enough to catch the Bills - Chiefs game, aka The Rematch.

Have a padawan guitar player who came to me for help escaping playing boxes and pentatonics. He was raised on the CAGED method and now he's a captive of it. I'm teaching him Help on the Way/Slipnot along with Scarlet Begonias to get him started moving scales over changes and we'll flirt with modes and intervals. I know that The Dead isn't everyone's cup of tea but you sure learn your theory in a hurry when you start trying to keep up with Jerry.

Rhythm player for our band is going to start retiring from live shows so we have auditions this week. I enjoy them, watching upcoming players getting a shot and then teaching the craft. I could bring in a "ringer" but at this point I feel like we owe the music a chance to let a newb into the fold and pass it on. As long as they are team players and can comp the changes, feel the rhythm and understand dynamics we can get them there. The only other thing with a newb is often (usually?) they don't understand the commitment required for a successful band. Other than that, we can get them going. Got a few local success stories of guys I "took of the street" and now they're inner circle players in the community. Makes me feel good to pay it forward.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

The past week here behind the cheddar curtain has been a cold and gloomy affair so there hasn’t been much activity from this old dude. Next week is supposed to be bit warmer and drier so I’ll be grilling my winter supply of brats and burgers and it’s the last time I’ll be using the twenty year old Napoleon grill with a new Napoleon Prestige Pro 500 waiting for delivery.

On Wednesday I’ll be on a Veteran’s honor flight to Washington DC to spend a day visiting the various memorials like the Vietnam Vets and Korean War followed by observing a changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It should be an interesting and enjoyable day with our flight leaving home at 6:30 AM and returning home again around 8:30PM. In the past the only thing I got out of being a Vietnam vet was Agent Orange related prostate cancer so it’s great to finally have a good experience as a result of my service.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    On Wednesday I’ll be on a Veteran’s honor flight to Washington DC to spend a day visiting the various memorials like the Vietnam Vets and Korean War followed by observing a changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It should be an interesting and enjoyable day with our flight leaving home at 6:30 AM and returning home again around 8:30PM. In the past the only thing I got out of being a Vietnam vet was Agent Orange related prostate cancer so it’s great to finally have a good experience as a result of my service.[/COLOR]
    Hand salute, Sir!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Rough weekend here. Health issues, a ton of problems do deal with at work, but I’m trying to keep cool.

It didn’t help that the band has decided to take a break from rehearsals until January, when we’ll sit down and decide what we’ll do, more like if we’ll do anything at all. I’m pissed and depressed: these seven years of friendship and fun together seem to be facing an ending.

Anyway, I guess this means more time to woodshed and sharpen my blues/grateful dead repertoire

Kinda a weird day here on the pond.

I can't exactly explain why, but everything just feels off.

I played last night for a while. Grabbed a Tele off of the rack and plugged into the Twin Reverb with Cerwin Vega clones. It was blah. Not normal, that one is usually a slap yo mamma combination.

Hang in there Mr. Cane.

Be well my friends.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

I've been spending a whole lot of time, going over the house, measuring tape and note pad in hand, taking pictures. I know what I want to do, but it's a little complicated. My goal is to make the house a better living space, with quality workmanship. What it has is pretty much anything but that. I can't really think of one thing in this house that makes me go "Wow, look at that, it is wicked nice." The trick is trying to figure out what will affect what when something is torn out, how to live with it while the work is being done and what order to do the projects that minimizes inconvenience and maximizes results.

This while I have the specter of my brother's warning to me last week about his impending surgery. There's no guarantee he's going to pull through and recover from this. His insurance won't pay for the house and I would have to find a place to live. That's worse case scenario. Better, he pulls through and recovers. Then I have to contend with renewing my license in March. That's not a guarantee either. I don't want to be elbows deep into projects and not be able to bop down to Home Depot 2, 3 times day as needed.

It's looking like a winter of much research, soul searching, and planning.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I can't believe I missed the Sunday thread again. I worked Saturday and it definitely threw me off. Got new carpeting for the family room on Friday so we had to disconnect everything to clear out the room and I've been reassembling the home entertainment stuff. Lots of wires - did it rather slap-dash over time, as I'd add components, so I took it all out and am rewiring everything from scratch. It appeared really daunting when I started, but it's actually been fun. Wire ties and clips to hold everything in place. Mr's Junkie's basement grow tent project is coming along too. Another crazy schedule this week - actually, it won't slow down until after Thanksgiving - if it does at all. But, it's been pretty good. I often have to deal with dysfunctional school boards to help them put the "func" back in, but Saturday I worked with a really high-flying board that really "got it", along with a superintendent who is fantastic. A really great session!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain