Thread: Wooden Ships!

Wooden Ships!

Our friend Roger usually talks about his likes of Jefferson Airplane and Quicksilver Messenger Service, IIRC.

I like the stuff from that time, and one of the albums I dig the most is Crosby Stills & Nash’s debut album. Atlantic Records was really kicking ass back in ‘69, releasing some GREAT albums, like Zep I and this one.

This track in particular always makes me feel good:

Re: Wooden Ships!

Roger's not the only one! I have a pretty good collection of Airplane, Quicksilver, (original) Steve Miller Band, It's A Beautiful Day, Spirit and similar Bay area and 60s sounds. Crosby's Wooden Ships is right up there. I especially like his solo acoustic rendition on Four Way Street.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    (original) Steve Miller Band
    "Children Of The Future" is one of the most under-recognized and under-appreciated albums of the era.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    "Children Of The Future" is one of the most under-recognized and under-appreciated albums of the era.
    Everything up through Number 5 is aces, in my book.
    Striving to be ordinary

I know I'm OCD, but does it weird anyone else out that CSN are out of order on the couch? Always bothered me, lol.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Perhaps the photog was dyslexic and that's just the way he happened to pose them......?

Perhaps the photog was dyslexic
    ROFLOL

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I know I'm OCD, but does it weird anyone else out that CSN are out of order on the couch? Always bothered me, lol.
    I just read Graham Nash's autobiography, and he even mentioned it. They noticed it after they got back from the phot shoot and were going to go back to the house to take another photo in the correct order, but the house was gone. the book was a really good window into the times and the music... I really enjoyed it.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

If it weren't for Stills holding that Martin, they could've probably just flipped the image and nobody would've been the wiser.

The first time I heard the first CSN album I was taking a final exam in my American Government class in high school. Mr. Ryan was the teacher and he put it on while we took the test. I forgot most of what I learned in that class, but that day marked a huge turning point in my life. That album was amazing!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

TFF Stage Crew

I got hip to those guys when I found Déjà Vu in my sister's record collection in 1970. Blew my 10 yo mind.
    But one of my favorite albums from that era is David Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name, which is basically CSN&Y with Jefferson Airplane & The Grateful Dead. A classic

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    I got hip to those guys when I found Déjà Vu in my sister's record collection in 1970. Blew my 10 yo mind.
    But one of my favorite albums from that era is David Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name, which is basically CSN&Y with Jefferson Airplane & The Grateful Dead. A classic
    💯% One of my "desert island" albums!
    Striving to be ordinary

If you haven't already, check out "Blows Against The Empire". It features a lot of those same artists.

YES!!!

If you haven't already, check out "Blows Against The Empire". It features a lot of those same artists.
    ALSO YES!!!

We share a lot of the same tastes. A third to join the party is the lesser-known "Baron von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun." The solo by Craig Chaquico on Jack Traylor's "Flowers of the Night" remains one of my all-time favorites.

According to Grace Slick, she was given the name "Chrome Nun" by David Crosby, and Baron von Tollbooth was Paul Katner.
    Striving to be ordinary