Thread: Is A Used American Standard Worth Double The Cost Of A 40th Anniversary Squier Tele?

Forum Member

Is A Used American Standard Worth Double The Cost Of A 40th Anniversary Squier Tele?

As the title says. I will very soon be purchasing a Telecaster as I have always wanted to own one. I've seen many kudos for the 40th Anniversary Squier Telecaster. I particularly like the gold version. Used American Standard versions that I have been looking at can run double the price of the new 40th Anniversary Squier. Other models also come in at double or more. Are they sufficiently better that you would advise spending that amount? I would greatly appreciate your expertise. Thanks.

Re: Is A Used American Standard Worth Double The Cost Of A 40th Anniversary Squier Te

Before I go on, let me first say that a product is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. But you knew that...

I will also say that I don't currently own a Squier Telecaster. I do, however, own several Fender Teles. All of my Teles age back to a 2006 limited edition 60th Anniversary (Fender's) to a 2013 Classic Player Triple Tele, to 2016 Magnificent Seven. All of these are effectively limited editions, as they are no longer being produced. None of them was a "standard" issue guitar.

However, if I were to go looking for a new Tele, I would give some serious consideration to a Squier. I've given up on my "snobbery" about the headstock label and concern myself more with build quality and sound. Squier is getting high marks for their quality these day.

I note on Reverb, that 1988 - 2000 used American Standard Teles are going for around $1,200, and the 2008 - 2016 are going for roughly the same, perhaps a touch more. A brand new Squier 40th Anniversary Tele goes for around $599, or half (as you stated). A mint condition used Tele can drop the price a good $100, too (they look pretty nice, too!). To quote
    Guitar Player, "This guitar looks sharp as hell, plays well, and sounds good for anything you’d want to aim a Tele at."

I dunno. With prices the way they are these days, I think I'd get the Squier and use the extra $600 for other stuff.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Re: Is A Used American Standard Worth Double The Cost Of A 40th Anniversary Squier Te

I read great things about the Squires so I bought a used 60's Modified Thinline Tele last year. I replaced the "Duncan Designed" pickups with Hwy 1 Fender, and updated to CTS controls, 4 way switch, Sozo cap and a Switchcraft jack. I liked it OK, but then put it up for a while and played my MIM Tele. This summer, (after the rains started), I got it out, and found the neck had moved, couldn't play the small strings close to the nut. My friend Russell shimmed the neck, and readjusted the truss rod and bridge saddles.
    It plays great again, but the neck on my other Tele doesn't move around like that one did!

Dang. JC17 got me started. I was goofing around on the 'Net doing my routine search for "Sherwood Green" when I came across

Yeah, it's a 40th Anniversary Telecaster Gold Edition with anodized pickguard in Sherwood Green metallic. Even though I'd prefer a maple board, this was an open box mint condition with free shipping, so...
    Striving to be ordinary

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Dang. JC17 got me started. I was goofing around on the 'Net doing my routine search for "Sherwood Green" when I came across

Yeah, it's a 40th Anniversary Telecaster Gold Edition with anodized pickguard in Sherwood Green metallic. Even though I'd prefer a maple board, this was an open box mint condition with free shipping, so...
    Nice pickup. Let me know your thoughts on how well it plays and performs when you have it in your hands!

Forum Member

Having re-read several of the reviews of the 40th Anniversary Squier Tele, while they have been overwhelmingly positive, they do point out some shortcomings. Apparently they skimped on the tuning pegs, and nut, and those were mentioned as being something to replace. And even the pickups were described as "okay" and "polite" or just lacking a bit in grunt.

This will be the only Tele that I will own. If I upgrade those suggested things, I would end up spending 3/4th's of the price of an actual used Fender American Standard. I find myself debating whether that is a wise decision.

Remember, there is no Squier factory. These guitars are bid out to low cost region suppliers and bought in batches. The quality of Squiers therefore is all over the map.

The thing many people need to consider is who's using it. For the average hobbyist sitting in their bedroom there is no need whatsoever for a high-end professional quality instrument, other than it makes you happy. There are eminently playable low-cost guitars. If you're plugging into a Champ XD or a Crate who cares?

Will a Squier deliver the goods onstage night after night? Probably not. Will an American Fender? Probably yes.

It's about hardware, tuning stability and electronics.

My $.02,

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

As is always the case, if you can get your hands on one of each, the evidence will be obvious. In my case, this isn't the first Tele, and likely won't be my "pick of the litter" -- I already have a couple that meet my requirements. No, my purchase is based more on looks, and given the (to me) low price, might be a candidate for some upgrades.

It's tough buying a guitar sight unseen and unplayed. Kind of like buying a car -- it might be a gem, or it might be a lemon. I can't buy a car without getting behind the wheel first. These days, it's almost impossible to get your hands on a guitar before buying it unless it's in a shop or being sold by someone you can meet face to face.

Chuck is right. If you're looking for a "working" gig guitar, you're probably better off paying for the Fender. If you're entertaining yourself, your family and your pets (when I had a cat, she'd run away the moment I picked up a guitar. Wonder if she knew more than I?), then the Squier is probably an excellent choice.
    Striving to be ordinary

Forum Member

Thanks for the input guys. Wise words to remember. I really never choose to buy a guitar that I've never had in my hands. However, when looking at used guitars, it's very difficult to stick to that, unfortunately. And, as you noted, you could get a great guitar, or one far less than that. And, from my perspective, if the guitar was a really good example of the model, why did it get sold? If I just had the cash to buy a new Fender Tele, it would be so much easier, but sometimes the realities of life are limiting.

Quote Originally Posted by JC17 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Wise words to remember. I really never choose to buy a guitar that I've never had in my hands. However, when looking at used guitars, it's very difficult to stick to that, unfortunately. And, as you noted, you could get a great guitar, or one far less than that. And, from my perspective, if the guitar was a really good example of the model, why did it get sold? If I just had the cash to buy a new Fender Tele, it would be so much easier, but sometimes the realities of life are limiting.
    Dude, the stuff coming out of Mexico is more than adequate for weekend warriors. I'd say split the price and buy a Player's Series or whatever the name de jour is for the mexican Tele. They're a great value.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Dude, the stuff coming out of Mexico is more than adequate for weekend warriors. I'd say split the price and buy a Player's Series or whatever the name de jour is for the mexican Tele. They're a great value.
    +1

I have a MIM 50th Anniversary Strat, and it's one of the finest guitars -- Strat or otherwise -- I've ever owned. The middle pickup on it died, and was replaced with a Fender Custom Shop Texas Special. I did have to adjust the pickup height slightly, but other than that, it's probably my go-to Strat.

Striving to be ordinary

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

After seeing years of positive posts on Squires Classic Vibe level and higher, I took the plunge.
    Got qty 2 CV70s PBasses (1 flat the other round). Like me them so much I bought 2 other Squires: CV 60s fretless JBass and a 40th Anniversary JBass (white and gold). Played that last one I mentioned for over an hour last night. Love it and could not find a single issue with it. And I tend to be a bit of a snob.
    the higher end Squires are for real

Hate to say this: while playing it, I played a lick that was “I’ve heard that somewhere”. Yep Working for MCA. Then I glanced over and saw my constipals helmet. From there I got my Leon on LOL
    Mark

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    the higher end Squires are for real
    I've played several CV50's Strats and as entry-level instruments go, they are outstanding both in features and value. Light years beyond my first electric, a twin-pickup tulip-bodied Teisco.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and advice concerning this. All of your assistance is immensely appreciated. A good friend, who is a talented guitarist of over thirty years, decided that it was time for us to take a trip to fully understand the Telecaster world and what is available. It was an hour and half drive each way, but the store in question haThad esesntially the entire Telecaster lineup available to check out. And so, we spent close to eight, total hours yesterday doing just that, not counting a stop for dinner on the way back.

My friend, who has a very extensive collection of guitars and amplifiers, was also looking for a very good Telecaster as he doesn't have one in his collection. We spent most of the afternoon at the store, playing various Tele's. We started with a Squier Classic Vibe, and 40th Anniversary (the very cool looking black and gold model), and went right up through the Fender line to the Professional II model. My friend found a Fender Pro model, that he loved the look of, and sat down and played it extensively. He finally turned to me and said, "it's a bit more than I hoped to spend, but I'm buying this". Not long after that, I had more or less decided that I thought the best value for me given my available budget, was a nice Fender Player series in a beautiful Sienna Sunburst(which was also $200.00 off, on sale!).

At that point, it seemed we had done our complete due diligence and were ready to buy a couple guitars. However, as I glanced across the aisle I saw a shelf of guitars that we had not previously noticed. It turned out that it was a "consignment" shelf of guitars being sold on behalf of their owners. There was one Telecaster there that was different than anything we had auditioned. It turned out that it was a Jason Isbell Signature Custom Model. I pointed it out to my friend and said this is the only Tele that we haven't tried.[

We both sat back down and he started playing the guitar extensively. As he was playing, what I noticed was how pure and perfect the tone of the guitar sounded. Literally better than any other Tele I had played/heard during the course of the afternoon. After probably fifteen-twenty minutes, he handed the guitar to me and picked up the Pro model that he had been intending to buy, and began playing that. After some time, he looked at me and said he thought he was absolutely sure that he had made the right decision on what guitar to buy, and now, playing the Jason Isbell sig model had completely upended his thoughts on the matter. He literally said, I don't want it to be better, but it just is, both in playability and tone!" It isn't that the Isbell is a bad looking guitar, but it is, to some degree, a relic, version, and neither of us are big on those. He also loved the color and finish of the pro model he had been set on buying, but simply couldn't follow through with buying that guitar after playing the Isbell model.

After I spent time with the Isbell guitar, I could see what he meant, and was in full agreement, it was, IMO, the best Tele I had played that day, all the way up to the Pro II. And again, the tone was just wonderful, on top of great playability.

After all of that, we left with neither of us purchasing a guitar. My issue was primarily that my absolute limit was a thousand, which was what I had brought with me. While the Fender Player really played well, the Isbell guitar had me entranced. I'm trying to work out how long it will take me to save enough to buy one, though it certainly doesn't help that the holidays, with Christmas gifts for the family, and everything else really adds up. I'm not sure if it is a "limited" edition, though, as that would concern me in terms of it possibly selling out before I could gather enough funds. A part of me also is wondering if, two years into learning to play, it even makes sense to spend almost $1,500.00 on a guitar?

]From my friend's perspective, he is struggling with the idea of spending $1,500.00 on a made in Mexico guitar, versus a made in the US, Pro model for almost that same money. He knows that the Isbell guitar played and sounded the best of all of them to him, he's just shocked that a MIM guitar can cost that much. Don't get me wrong, we have absolutely nothing against MIM guitars, he and I both own a MIM Fender Strat and think they are great values.

And so I sit here pondering the best direction to go in. Initially, I had hopes of possibly finding a good deal on a used Isbell Tele, but even used, they appear to sell for near list price. The positive, as my friend and I discussed earlier today, is that we have done our complete due diligence, and at least know where we stand. Now to make decisions. In his case, I expect he will be back at that store by Monday to buy the Isbell. He simply enjoyed playing that guitar too much to pass on it.