Thread: Mustang Micro via USB connection - computer does not recognize

Mustang Micro via USB connection - computer does not recognize

My computer does not recognize my Mustang Micro when connected to USB. I've updated firmware, downloaded ASIO drivers, tried troubleshooting through sound settings... any ideas?

Re: Mustang Micro via USB connection - computer does not recognize

Is this the first time you've tried, or has your computer recognized it before? What type of computer are you using, and what version of USB? Can you plug it into any other device and either receive power or generate output?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Is this the first time you've tried, or has your computer recognized it before? What type of computer are you using, and what version of USB? Can you plug it into any other device and either receive power or generate output?
    Thanks for your response. Yes, it is the first time I've used it on my Dell Windows 10 desktop. It powers up from the USB connection. I think the USB is 2.0. I've plugged it into my guitar, and it works. My computer just doesn't recognize it, so I can't use it to record from my guitar.

Where are you looking on your computer to determine that the device is not recognized? Control Panel/Hardware and Sound? Device Manager? What recording software are you using on your computer to try to record your guitar. Does the Dell have USB 3.0 ports? The manual for the Mustang Micro says it connects to the computer via the USB-C port on the device, but doesn't say what type of USB port to use on the computer.

Edit: I just found this YT video. Apparently the Mustang Micro is "disabled" by default when first connected to your computer, and Fender does not mention this in their documentation. This should hopefully get your issue fixed.
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 09-30-2022 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Attached YT Video.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Thanks for stepping up, Michael. I'm a Mac guy. He lost me at "Windows 10."
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Thanks for stepping up, Michael. I'm a Mac guy. He lost me at "Windows 10."
    I watched Fender's official video on the device, and it was just people playing guitar. I found the user manual online, and it made no mention of "enabling" the device before it could be seen in recording preferences.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    Where are you looking on your computer to determine that the device is not recognized? Control Panel/Hardware and Sound? Device Manager? What recording software are you using on your computer to try to record your guitar. Does the Dell have USB 3.0 ports? The manual for the Mustang Micro says it connects to the computer via the USB-C port on the device, but doesn't say what type of USB port to use on the computer.

Edit: I just found this YT video. Apparently the Mustang Micro is "disabled" by default when first connected to your computer, and Fender does not mention this in their documentation. This should hopefully get your issue fixed.
    Michael & Oldstrummer - Thanks so much for your help. Yes, Michael, it turned out the device was disabled. You enabke the device through sound settings / input / manage sound devices. Two sessions with Fender tech support did not find that fix. But they were nice folks. Fender should put that info in their manuals because the problem must be pretty common.

I'm glad you got it sorted out. It's probably plug and play on a Mac, but not with Windows. Even the guy in the video I linked to said it took him a while to figure it out, and he seems pretty computer savvy.

Now that it's all sorted out, I'd be curious to your impressions of the Mustang Micro. I've considered purchasing one, not because I need another amp (not even a practice amp!) but because I like the idea of just plugging in to a guitar, setting an effect or two, and playing away. The list of features and capabilities seems impressive, but I'm not sure it's anything more than my AMPLIFi30, my Positive Grid Spark MINI, or one of my bigger amps.
    Striving to be ordinary