Thread: Hurricane Ian

Hurricane Ian

I hope everyone is safe, my American friends. There’s a Floridian or two amongst us, AFAIK.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Re: Hurricane Ian

This Floridian moved to Indiana at the beginning of the year. Talking to my friends in central FL (Orlando area), they are safe. Certainly downed trees and the likes, but so far not structural or water damage.

SW FL got hit hard.
    Mark

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I heard from forum member T2 Stratman and he said they were prepared as prepared can be. Same with my sister in Daytona Beach. They all have their "hurricane bacon" ready.

Prayers for everyone affected though -- good luck and God speed.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Growing up in So. Maryland in the 50's hurricanes were a lot more common than today. I remember a few, but being inland we sure didn't get the pounding the folks are down in Florida!
    Hope those folks can get back to their normal life soon!

My dad retired to Sarasota in the 1980s and stayed there for 28 years. He had all of the prep supplies on hand (water, blankets, safe room, etc.) in case of a hurricane, and never had to use any of it. He passed away in 2005, so I'm thankful he didn't have to face Ian. I haven't heard how Sarasota fared, but I saw on the weather maps that while it wasn't in Ian's direct path, it was still in the red zone.

I'm due to visit St. Petersburg in November. I hope they aren't too devastated.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Having been thru multiple hurricanes and tropical storms, I feel for the folks in Florida. The worst for me was Hurricane Ike, with no power at the office for 7 days, and 10 days at my house. I'm about 40 miles inland, so no storm surge, but some wind damage and lots of rain and street flooding.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

We just heard from my brother in-law in Port Charlotte today. He and his property are fine. Just needs to clean up.

My wife's from Cape Breton Nova Scotia and her family was just affected by Fiona (they're fine). Three of her cousins have houses in Florida affected by Ian. They haven't heard how they're houses fared.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

I’ve heard from a couple other friends in a low lying area east of Orlando. They got flood damage. One had just over a foot of water inside. The other about 3 foot.
    Mark