Thread: Need Your Expertise - Which Sandblasted/Natural unfinished Telecaster?

Forum Member

Need Your Expertise - Which Sandblasted/Natural unfinished Telecaster?

I really love the look of a sandblasted Telecaster. I was most recently looking at the 2017-208(?) model, but they have gone up to $1300-1400, or even up to $1600, used. I don't think that's particularly good value. I would like to spend no more than $1k, at most. I have also discovered there were previous sandblasted versions that were made in Japan in the early 2000's, and a 2015-2016 Fender version that isn't technically sandblasted, but natural wood that is bare, and not covered with any finish. I would be fine with any good Tele that is either sandblasted, or unfinished "natural" wood. Sadly, there is no Classic Vibe natural/sandblasted/unfinished version or I would jump on one.

I would appreciate your expertise in identifying which of these that I have mentioned would be the better guitar, in terms of components, playability and build quality. And if I have missed any other versions that fit the bill, please feel free to let me know. I've wanted a Tele for a long time, and this will be my only purchase, so I need to get it right.

Any advice, recommendations, or information greatly appreciated. Thanks.

John

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Need Your Expertise - Which Sandblasted/Natural unfinished Telecaster?

Why not just find a Telecaster that sounds and plays the way you prefer and take a belt-sander to it?

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Stripping and lacquering guitar bodies isn’t a particularly difficult job. If you don’t think you’re up to the task, just have a luthier do it for you.

I am thinking about a similar project, which would be mounting my own “Micawber” style Tele.

or even looking on |Ebay or whatever for an unfinished body and neck and do whatever you want with it - it's easier that having to strip and existing finish.
    And you can probably fund the whole thing for far less than buying a stock model and modding it.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    or even looking on |Ebay or whatever for an unfinished body and neck and do whatever you want with it - it's easier that having to strip and existing finish.
    And you can probably fund the whole thing for far less than buying a stock model and modding it.
    I don't come close to having the skills to build a guitar that would actually perform as it should.

Same with getting another Fender Tele. I would definitely have to have a luthier disassemble, strip and sand it, and rebuild it. By the time all that was done, I may have already exceeded my price limit?

Also, I wouldn't have any idea of what wood was used for the guitar in question, and whether it would be suitable for this look. As seen below:

Fender American Performer Sandblasted Telecaster - Natural - Sweetwater Exclusive

Am I wrong or are they pine bodies?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I believe you are correct.

Forum Member

Okay, this is THE Fender forum. Some of you must have information to provide answers to my questions?

I'm not a builder of partscasters, so I am not familiar with the concept of "sandblasted" bodies. There are natural finishes (which is actually my favorite on a Tele) but the finishes I've seen are "satin" and "polyurethane." I suppose there can be completely unfinished bodies, but I think if I had one, I'd probably be rubbing it with Tung oil, lemon oil, or some other similar product to protect the finish.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I'm not a builder of partscasters, so I am not familiar with the concept of "sandblasted" bodies. There are natural finishes (which is actually my favorite on a Tele) but the finishes I've seen are "satin" and "polyurethane." I suppose there can be completely unfinished bodies, but I think if I had one, I'd probably be rubbing it with Tung oil, lemon oil, or some other similar product to protect the finish.
    Here is an example of what I want:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...lusive-natural

Hmm. Given that they are no longer being offered at a price you think is a good value, it would seem the best solution available to you is to "roll your own."
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Hmm. Given that they are no longer being offered at a price you think is a good value, it would seem the best solution available to you is to "roll your own."
    +1

Or table your concern about making a fashion statement and concentrate more on making music.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post

The specs say ash.