Thread: Sunday. The Thread. It's 9/18

Sunday. The Thread. It's 9/18

It seems that no matter what time on Sunday I come here, there's no Sunday thread. I'm not sure why I feel compelled to keep the thought alive, but I do. Si here it is.

A blessedly nice weekend (actually it's been terrific nearly all week). The team actually won a couple of games, the solo I've been working on has begun to take form, and other than a lot being wrong with the world, the world around here is pretty good.

More of the same today: Exercise, a trip to the church, more work on the solo, and maybe dinner tonight with the kids. Have a great Sunday, everyone!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Re: Sunday. The Thread. It's 9/18

Played an acoustic 12 string gig last night. Well received. Now at church to play bass for 2 services. After that, no F1 scheduled today, so I think I’m going to get this Bluetooth OBD2 sensor hooked up to a phone so I can get real-time and desired measurements from my fun car, a Mini R59. The car has a gauge to tell you how long the top has been down, but not water temp.
    It will also allow you to read codes, reset systems, and change startup options.
    Mark

Late to the table today! My wife and I did our usual Sunday morning breakfast run with good friends and then shot home to sell a Hamm’s beer neon sign that I’ve owned for 60+ years. Since my mother passed away last year and I’ve been blessed with emptying out her home so I can sell it, I’ve become very aware of stuff you don’t really need to hang onto. In addition to stuff like the sign, in the last year I sold a ‘55 Cushman Eagle, ‘56 Harley FLH panhead (owned for 37 years), and my ‘66 Corvette coupe (owned for 53 years). Time marches on, eh?

oy, just before 6PM so it's still Sunday afterNOON, heh heh

Brother declared the dryer dead last week but I'm trying it today. It was running and I felt heat. After I get this post done, going back down cellar to check on status of the load of towels I put in to dry.

Haven't done much this week. Still waiting to hear from the buyer if he got the guitar. UPS last scanned it 6 days after I shipped it, never said out for delivery and now they're saying "sorry about the delivery exception." I haven't heard from my buyer, in spite messaging him 3 days ago. I've got an amp I'm waiting to pick up IF I don't have to make a refund. I hate being in stasis like this.

We had some brisk Canadian air visit us this week, first time I've had to put the heat on since ... July, LOL. It was just that one night early in the month and then the thermometer melted. Well, by NH standards anyway. We are experiencing the whiplash days, heat at night and a/c during the day. But it's all 60s and 70s in the 10-day outlook

I haven't touched a guitar to play in well over a month, I've been concentrating on selling and shipping. I still have about 5 more to go. I can't wait to get this done. Not only did the dryer present itself as needing to be replaced, I priced out how much properly insulating my attic will run. I had originally hoped to include the attached garage in the project. The house alone will run about 2400 dollars and that's with me doing the labor. If I stop posting here, you'll know that I didn't survive the process.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

welp, to quote Bones to Captain Kirk - "He's dead, Jim" Dryer no est bueno

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    welp, to quote Bones to Captain Kirk - "He's dead, Jim" Dryer no est bueno
    Don’t count it out. A dryer only need 3 things to work.
    1. The drum to spin. (You said that was happening)
    2. Heat (you said there was heat)
    3. Ventilation. Last blower motor I bought (was 2.5 years ago) was a whopping $35 and delivered in 2 days.

it also could just be simple blockage in your vent.

Ive also did a heater element on the dryer. Part was $11.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Don’t count it out. A dryer only need 3 things to work.
    1. The drum to spin. (You said that was happening)
    2. Heat (you said there was heat)
    3. Ventilation. Last blower motor I bought (was 2.5 years ago) was a whopping $35 and delivered in 2 days.

it also could just be simple blockage in your vent.

Ive also did a heater element on the dryer. Part was $11.
    and if it’s electric, don’t let the 220v scare you. It’s actually qty 2 110v circuits combine
    so it’s a single outlet. 1 side is for heater, the other for blower and drum.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    and if it’s electric, don’t let the 220v scare you. It’s actually qty 2 110v circuits combine
    so it’s a single outlet. 1 side is for heater, the other for blower and drum.
    gas dryer, I didn't buy it, came with the house

Lately I forget it's Sunday. First day back to work today after being out of the office for a month. Two weeks of vacation followed by a week of sick time followed by a week working from home. It will be only the second day wearing pants (sweatpants for the last two weeks) since my surgery. All four of the incisions are right at the waistline so the waistband/belt are right on the incisions. They are healing well, but this is going to suck! At least today is a staff development day so it will not be a typical day. That starts tomorrow... busy week planned with 4 evening meetings followed by facilitating a Saturday retreat.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Actually, most dryers I've worked on need 220V for heat. Looked at my nieces last year, works, no heat, found bad contacts in the switch, only one leg energized. Stopped by the recycling place, and gave them $5 for a noisy dryer, got her fixed up pretty cheap!

Older washers and dryers are pretty easy to repair - the new stuff is all computerized and is a major pain (and expense) if something goes wrong.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

They've been computerized for a while. Whirlpool Maytag Kenmore are all basically the same inside. The top load washers always include a sealed booklet on the inside front of the machine. There's a little knob twisting song and dance, and the machine will flash out codes, (much like the 1st and 2nd generations of computer controlled cars). The chart in the booklet will guide you to the repair/replacement. A couple of years ago my daughters machine quit spinning/draining, replaced a $22 solenoid board that tells the machine to agitate or spin, been working fine for a couple of years now! There is also a way to make the machine go through all it's functions individually to prove the repair was successful!

I think these are old school machines, might not be computerized. There are no screens or LCD readout, only miniature lights/LED. When did the EnergyStar crap start? They don't even have that AFAICT

I think we're going to replace them anyway. The washer is tiny, I've been spoiled by the big Samsung we used to have at the old house. We're going to have them professionally installed, and get a utility sink put in, too. That will go a long way toward emptying dehumidifiers spring/summer/fall and filling humidifiers winter. Utility sinks are drastically underrated, and should be included in every house built that has a basement.

Forum Member

While we had kids at home, is was easy to get 10 or more years from a Kenmore washer before it needed attention. Sometimes the drain pump, but more often the timer. (I tried to fix one once, had different sized pins all over the kitchen table). bought a new one for $40!
    The LEDs are what flash the fault codes, different sequence, different lamp, different meaning, (or function). If you're curious lift the top (screws in the top rear, and butter knife for the front clips), and look inside the front panel, the booklet will explain everything.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I think these are old school machines, might not be computerized. There are no screens or LCD readout, only miniature lights/LED. When did the EnergyStar crap start? They don't even have that AFAICT

I think we're going to replace them anyway. The washer is tiny, I've been spoiled by the big Samsung we used to have at the old house. We're going to have them professionally installed, and get a utility sink put in, too. That will go a long way toward emptying dehumidifiers spring/summer/fall and filling humidifiers winter. Utility sinks are drastically underrated, and should be included in every house built that has a basement.
    +1 on the utility sinks... I put one in my laundry room and one in the garage. Having hot and cold water in the garage is awesome! Of course I need to remember to shut it down in December, but it's a small price to pay to be able to wash my car with warm water!

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    +1 on the utility sinks... I put one in my laundry room and one in the garage. Having hot and cold water in the garage is awesome! Of course I need to remember to shut it down in December, but it's a small price to pay to be able to wash my car with warm water!
    +1 more on utility / slop sinks. When we had our water heater replaced I had them put one in down the basement. It works out great for cleaning up after painting and stuff - for some reason SWMBO didn't like me rinsing out brushes and stuff in the kitchen...
    plus I homebrew beer, so that sink ended up right next to my brew area, so it works great for all the water ins and outs, and cleaning that goes on.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.