Thread: PRS Silver Sky

PRS Silver Sky

Got to play a borrowed one. Holy cow, what a nice S-style! Those pickups are stunning, workmanship top notch and loved the whole feel and vibe. I'm thinking of picking one up but sadly, there is a waiting list. After playing one live I can see why.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Re: PRS Silver Sky

That's the Strat that's re-imagined by John Mayer, isn't it? I recall seeing an intro of him playing one a while back, and it looked and sounded superb!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Sweetwater seems to have some in stock!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Found a boutique shop near me that has a couple. I'm going to borrow them for the next show and pick the winner.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    That's the Strat that's re-imagined by John Mayer, isn't it? I recall seeing an intro of him playing one a while back, and it looked and sounded superb!

It is. Mayer didn’t seem to like the classic PRS shapes and had them make a “Strat-like” PRS. It seems to be quite a fine guitar indeed.

Which model did you play, Chuck? The standard or the SE version (there are slight differences between the sizes, necks and pickups IIRC)

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    It is. Mayer didn’t seem to like the classic PRS shapes and had them make a “Strat-like” PRS. It seems to be quite a fine guitar indeed.

Which model did you play, Chuck? The standard or the SE version (there are slight differences between the sizes, necks and pickups IIRC)
    Standard version Sergio. Really, I think it's a little overpriced for what it is. I also started looking at the Fender Professional II Strat and even though it's a thousand bucks less, to my surprise I'm finding I like the Strat a little better. The only think that freaks me out a little on the Fender is the push-push for the neck pickup. I like to be able to look down at my controls and see where I am.

Either is fine guitar, the Strat has a little more to offer, the PRS is pretty simple. I doubt at performing volumes I can say one is better than the other.

But as far as the PRS goes, $2700 USD and a gig bag? Get real! That's my only real gripe with it.

The Fender comes with a decent hard shell. If I go with the PRS that more $$$ for the SKB hard shell too. So that makes the PRS almost twice the cost of the Fender, and I'd say the overall quality was a little better on the Fender. I'm going with a maple neck so fingerboards are equivalent.

I've been playing my current Strat since 1989 and it's a bit tired so I figured a new one would make a nice 65th birthday present for myself. Also, my '89 Strat is a beast and one of the heaviest Strats I've ever run into, might be nice to find one around 8 pounds and lighten the load.

We'll see. I'm going to borrow the Fender for the next show and see how I like it.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Standard version Sergio. Really, I think it's a little overpriced for what it is. I also started looking at the Fender Professional II Strat and even though it's a thousand bucks less, to my surprise I'm finding I like the Strat a little better. The only think that freaks me out a little on the Fender is the push-push for the neck pickup. I like to be able to look down at my controls and see where I am.

Either is fine guitar, the Strat has a little more to offer, the PRS is pretty simple. I doubt at performing volumes I can say one is better than the other.

But as far as the PRS goes, $2700 USD and a gig bag? Get real! That's my only real gripe with it.

The Fender comes with a decent hard shell. If I go with the PRS that more $$$ for the SKB hard shell too. So that makes the PRS almost twice the cost of the Fender, and I'd say the overall quality was a little better on the Fender. I'm going with a maple neck so fingerboards are equivalent.

I've been playing my current Strat since 1989 and it's a bit tired so I figured a new one would make a nice 65th birthday present for myself. Also, my '89 Strat is a beast and one of the heaviest Strats I've ever run into, might be nice to find one around 8 pounds and lighten the load.

We'll see. I'm going to borrow the Fender for the next show and see how I like it.

Chuck

The Professional II is basically the modern version of the American Standard, which is a great series. No wonder you thought it was as good as, or maybe better than the SS.

The Fender is a little nicer and half the price - Something tells me I'll end up with one of each. I'm looking for the PRS in the metallic surf green with a maple neck.