Thread: Ordering from the Fender Custom Shop for the first time

Forum Member

Ordering from the Fender Custom Shop for the first time

Hey guys. I need some guidance from the Fender bass enthusiasts here.

I'm in search of a Fender jazz bass in a specific finish. The Music Zoo on Long Island advised me to order my custom-built bass through the Fender Custom Shop, and sent me a link to the 2022 Custom Guitar Design Guide.

As per this guide, in order to submit a custom order, I must first select a jazz bass base model.

According to the design guide, the only base model available for a customized jazz bass is the 1964 Jazz Bass.

But, honestly, I'd like for the American Professional II Jazz Bass to be my base model.

My ideal jazz bass would have almost the same specs as that current American Professional II Jazz Bass.

Do I need to choose a base model solely from the limited options offered in the design guide?

Or will the Custom Shop still allow me to use any Fender jazz model that's in-stock as my base model?

I've never submitted a specialized order through the Fender Custom Shop before. So I was hoping if anyone here with experience with the Custom Shop could tell me how to proceed.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Jericho-79; 08-31-2022 at 07:03 AM.

Forum Member

Re: Ordering from the Fender Custom Shop for the first time

Any help, guys?

Not a bass player, so I'm likely not the person to be responding to this, but since no one else has yet, here's my suggestion: Try calling the Custom Shop. Yeah, I know, Fender doesn't make this easy (no phone numbers listed on their web site). Additionally, have you consider going Masterbuilt versus Custombuilt? If you can consult with a specific builder in the shop, you may have a lot more leeway in what you can get.

I could be wrong, but your post suggests you have very specific requirements for your bass. I had similar needs for a guitar that I couldn't find (especially online), so I finally reached out to a custom guitar builder and together we spec'd out *my* guitar. It took eighteen months from first contact to delivery, but it was worth it! I was playing it just this morning, and it just scratches every itch I could have.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I found a 1-800 phone number and email address for the Fender Custom Shop by doing an online search. I've never ordered anything from them, so I don't know how easy it is to reach them by phone, but it's worth a try.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

I could be wrong, but your post suggests you have very specific requirements for your bass.
    I'm not asking for anything special. All I aim for is a Pro II in a unique color with a pearloid pickgauard.