Thread: I may not like the fees but ...

I may not like the fees but ...

I can't deny that Reverb gets it done. Got a buyer for my Epiphone LPC. Going to pack it today and get it ready to drop off once the payment hits.

Then it's on to the next guitar.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: I may not like the fees but ...

All in all, I agree with you. I've had not one bad experience buying and selling on Reverb. The tools they have, plus the exposure they give, is a pretty good way to market gear.

Congratulations on the sale!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

TFF Stage Crew

Reverb is pretty good but they do wring out all the fees they can out of sellers.
    Looks like Sweetwater is trying to get in on the act
    https://www.sweetwater.com/used

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Reverb is pretty good but they do wring out all the fees they can out of sellers.
    Looks like Sweetwater is trying to get in on the act
    https://www.sweetwater.com/used
    I saw a YT video yesterday about the Sweetwater gear exchange site. Competition is always good.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Guitar Center/Musician's Friend has been offering used equipment for a while. With GC, you can find a used item anywhere in their inventory and they'll ship it to a store near you if you'd prefer to check it out before taking delivery.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Guitar Center/Musician's Friend has been offering used equipment for a while. With GC, you can find a used item anywhere in their inventory and they'll ship it to a store near you if you'd prefer to check it out before taking delivery.
    That's true. I bought my used Tascam TSR-8 Tape Machine and M-320B Mixer from them in 1997. I traded in a Teac 4 track reel to reel and a Tascam M-106 6 channel mixer. Of course that was before they had any online listings, so inventory of used equipment was limited to what they had in the local store.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    +1

I found a nice pre-64 Fender Pro Amp at a GC which looked promising. I had a good relationship with the store manager who allowed me to partially disassemble the amp to inspect its innards for condition and authenticity. It was primo specimen which I purchased on the spot for a very reasonable price.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

TFF Stage Crew

The GC Used Dept is all over the place. Some crap is ridiculously overpriced, & some great items go for cheap. I bought a Vox AC10 that was a two-tone black/burgundy that was significantly less than what could be found on either eBay or Reverb. I ended up flipping it for almost $100 over what I paid for it, & the guy was still happy with the deal.
    GC Used is most likely %100 trade in, & as such it is GC stock. Therefore, the market value is probably not as important as the trade-in value. Kind of like a pawn shop.
    Last edited by Cogs; 08-31-2022 at 08:38 AM.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

TFF Stage Crew

Lol, true

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    The GC Used Dept is all over the place. Some crap is ridiculously overpriced, & some great items go for cheap. I bought a Vox AC10 that was a two-tone black/burgundy that was significantly less than what could be found on either eBay or Reverb. I ended up flipping it for almost $100 over what I paid for it, & the guy was still happy with the deal.
    GC Used is most likely %100 trade in, & as such it is GC stock. Therefore, the market value is probably not as important as the trade-in value. Kind of like a pawn shop.
    When I traded in my Teac 4 track and M-106 Mixer at GC, and then went back several weeks later to look for something, they had it priced 3 or 4 times the trade in value they gave me. I don't know what it eventually sold for.

Forum Member

That's the American way!
    Several years ago I sold a really nice Fender 400 pedal steel. ('63 crossover model). Chicago Music Exchange bought it, and didn't quibble about the price. A few weeks later I looked on their site, and a Fender 400 had sold for 3X what I got for mine, the same one? I don't know, but I couldn't have got that much money!