Thread: Fender '64 Deluxe Reverb handwired is expensive!

Fender '64 Deluxe Reverb handwired is expensive!

This ad popped up in one of my browser tabs, so I decided to check it out. The amp looks like a nice build, but they used the Jensen C12Q ceramic speaker, which I don't consider a great speaker (I replaced the one in my silverface Deluxe Reverb). I feel better about the $1,350 I paid last year for a mid 70's silverface Deluxe Reverb. Someone had apparently decided to "blackface" mine and had a couple of squirly wiring errors, but for less than $100 in parts (caps, resistors and several tubes), and hours of my research and labor ($0 cost), I think I have it in decent shape. Mine is missing the 1200Picofarad snubber stability caps on the 6V6 tube grids to ground as it should per the later circuit revisions, but I don't notice any unwanted oscillation. (I rarely play it above volume level 4).

https://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN8180000

Photos of the work I have done on it so far:

"When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Fender '64 Deluxe Reverb handwired is expensive!

I would build my own before I'd pay three large.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I would build my own before I'd pay three large.
    Exactly! Or buy a silverface "junker" and restore it, even if you had to gut the board and start from there.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

That's what I did with this specimen from 1978......

Bought as an "orphan" chassis for $700, I built a custom cab for it to accommodate a 15-inch JBL D130F. Drip-edge silverface cosmetics make the completed package look fresh, with vintage-correct details throughout. Twenty watts notwithstanding, it will rip your head off with sparkling highs, punchy mids, and thunderous lows. I think I'm into it for about $1100 all told and I wouldn't trade it for anything that FMIC currently makes.

That's quite a bargain for $1,100 all in. The drip edge is a nice touch. Makes it look like a 1968. Was it built to AB763 specs? I'm not exactly sure what specs mine is built to. It should be A1172, as that was the latest circuit revision prior to the push-pull volume boost circuit that was used from 1977-1982. I am looking at Rob Robinette's "Fender Deluxe Reverb Evolution" website where he discussed all of the changes made to each circuit, along with schematics and layout diagrams. For the AB763 circuit, he even has annotated versions of the schematic and layout diagrams. Very informative.

One of these days I will document the value of every resistor and cap in my amp to try and pin down the circuit revision. I started this back when I recapped it, and changed a few resistor values, but was mostly anxious to get it into playing condition, which it now is.

As I understand it the bias pot in the Deluxe Reverb is a true bias adjustment pot, rather than a bias balance pot. Maybe someone can confirm this.

The new Deluxe Reverb 1964 handwired edition is a modified AB763 circuit, where reverb and tremelo are available on both channels.

The chassis is dead stock, including the pull-boost switch on the vibrato channel's volume control. I installed an NOS front panel to match the all new cosmetics. The Deluxe Reverb was one of the Fender amps that CBS never really diddled with, aside from a couple of safety upgrades. I did recap it with F&T's.

This is my '68 model.

It arrived in totally unmolested 9.0/9.5 condition and set me back about $1500 including shipping. Upon arrival I immediately replaced the stock OEM Oxford with a fresh JBL D120F for a total investment of $1725. I suppose it's worth twice that now.

Forum Member

Being the cheap fellow I am, I built my DR. I happened to find a deal on a Weber complete kit for $500. I tweaked a few things, upgraded the components. The tone caps in the "normal channel are "Brown" values. Rob's reverb on both channels, and a period Jensen that Weber reconed for me. I had to build a spacer above the grill and redrill the mounting holes for the chassis.
    It is the amp that is always uncovered in our "music" room, and the one I generally use. I probably have about $700 in it.

The chassis is dead stock, including the pull-boost switch on the vibrato channel's volume control. I installed an NOS front panel to match the all new cosmetics. The Deluxe Reverb was one of the Fender amps that CBS never really diddled with, aside from a couple of safety upgrades. I did recap it with F&T's.

This is my '68 model.

It arrived in totally unmolested 9.0/9.5 condition and set me back about $1500 including shipping. Upon arrival I immediately replaced the stock OEM Oxford with a fresh JBL D120F for a total investment of $1725. I suppose it's worth twice that now.
    From what I understand from Rob Robinette's article on the evolution of the Deluxe Reverb, the tweaks to the circuit after the AA763 also addressed some oscillation issues, and the change to the 5U4 rectifier tube. But yeah, for the most part they left it alone. I'm sure you are familiar with Rob's website, but if not send me a PM and I will give you a link. From what I have read, the Deluxe Reverb and the Princeton amp are the "best" all time Fender amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Being the cheap fellow I am, I built my DR. I happened to find a deal on a Weber complete kit for $500. I tweaked a few things, upgraded the components. The tone caps in the "normal channel are "Brown" values. Rob's reverb on both channels, and a period Jensen that Weber reconed for me. I had to build a spacer above the grill and redrill the mounting holes for the chassis.
    It is the amp that is always uncovered in our "music" room, and the one I generally use. I probably have about $700 in it.
    Outstanding job Bill! Do you have Tremelo on both channels also?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    From what I have read, the Deluxe Reverb and the Princeton amp are the "best" all time Fender amps.
    I don't know if I'd go that far but the DR and PR are very versatile. If there's any shortcomings with them it's that there's a lot of untapped potential in both, specifically in the type/size/configuration of the factory speaker load. Ergo, that's why I developed the variations of both that I've built and (successfully) field-tested.

Forum Member

Robs mod routes both channels through the "Vibrato" channel circuit!
    https://robrobinette.com/AB763_Modif...nel_Reverb_Mod

Roger, I was looking the other day for the step by step photo build of that cabinet, but I guess it was lost in an older computer. Had a lot of really good information!

Was it posted here or on the corporate Fender forum?

Forum Member

Roger, you shared it with several of us through e-mails. I put all the pics in one folder and somehow lost it, probably through a crash. Lots of good cabinet building tips and techniques!

Just lemme know of your specific areas of interest and I'll try to send then along.

Forum Member

Nothing special, Roger, I was just disappointed that I no longer had it. You made a great tutorial of the build!

If I build anything else I'll be sure to document each phase and share the images with you.

One project I've had in mind was a 4 x 10 variation of the Deluxe Reverb.

If I build anything else I'll be sure to document each phase and share the images with you.

One project I've had in mind was a 4 x 10 variation of the Deluxe Reverb.
    With four 8 Ohm speakers wired in series-parallel for an 8 ohm load?

A 4 x 10 cabinet does have a lot of nice punch. I built my 4 x 10 with 16 ohm speakers, as I'll normally use it with 4 ohm amps (Fender Bassman, Fender Super Twin Reverb, Fender Vibro Champ, Sovtek Tube Midget), but with a switch I installed next to the input jack, I can take 2 of the speakers out of the circuit for an 8 ohm load for a Deluxe Reverb.

I know you are "supposed" to be able to mismatch impedance on Fender amps by as much as 100%, but I prefer the correct load.

Yeah, a series/parallel configuration using 8-ohm speakers.

I've also built three or four 2 x 10 conversions for clients and they all sounded nice and punchy, quite similar to a Vibrolux Reverb. All were equipped with Webers or Eminence which were nice but I'd love to do one with a matched pair of vintage C10Q's.

Forum Member

I've got a pair that need reconing Roger. Late 60's from a Gibson "Thor". (The chassis became a 112 guitar amp).

You should give them a try in your DR, Bill.

All it takes is a new baffle board -- you can turn one of those out in an hour or so.

Forum Member

Actually, I was planing a Vibroloux, using a DR chassis, but I don't know when I'll ever get a "round to'it"!
    I have a top mount chassis I picked up, and thinking a single channel 2-6L6 AB763, (without the vibro). I have lots of 15's, so I'll probably use one of the JBL's. If you start your project, let me know and I'll send them to you. (I haven't figured out a project for the Altec 12 I picked up a while back, maybe just stick it in a cab?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    (I haven't figured out a project for the Altec 12 I picked up a while back, maybe just stick it in a cab?)
    Got a Princeton Reverb......?