Thread: Unknown Fender Telecaster

Forum Member

Unknown Fender Telecaster

Hello lads,

I recently got my hands on a particular kind of Fender Telecaster. I can't seem to find anything that resembles it, and i'll be honest, it feels like it has custom features that are not usually seen in standard telecasters (gold hardware, floyd rose, two humbuckers, special inlays etc...)

The only model i've found online that is somewhat similar is this one : https://www.fender.com/en/electric-g...118092710.html

The serial number tells me it was made in Corona, California between 2007 and 2008, although i still wonder if it's a fake.

Any information on this guitar would be greatly appreciated. Cheers !

Here's some pictures of the beast,
    https://imgur.com/a/Z5r1k2w

Re: Unknown Fender Telecaster

It's definitely not a Kingfish Telecaster; that model was just released in recognition of Christone "Kingfish" Ingram (who is a heck of a guitar player!). I'm in no way expert on authenticity, but the first photo you posted made me blink and say, "WTH?" My feeling is that it's a partscaster, but I've been wrong before.

Welcome to TFF!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I'm not an expert on Fender Guitars, but would agree that based on the serial number the neck is a 2007-2008 made in Corona. You would need to examine the date codes on the pots and perhaps the pickups to see if they are from the same time period. There may be some information hand written in the pickup cavities in the body, although that may have been an old practice long since discontinued by the 2000's. Depending on the price you paid for it and how it plays, I wouldn't worry too much about it being a partscaster. Hopefully someone here will be able to shed some more light on what it is.

You may scroll thru the 2007 and 2008 catalogs on this site to see if you can find anything that looks like your tele. It may take a while to load as the catalogs are giant pdf files.https://guitar-compare.com/catalogs/fender-catalogs/
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 08-25-2022 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Added link to Fender catalogs
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

I'm sorry to say there are quite a few caveats here, possible custom features aside.

No truss rod hole plug, weird neck heel (this could be my mistake given pic angle), logo placement... Can't tell much about the body without a better look but all in all I wouldn't bet my money on it being a real Fender (at least not all of it).

Forum Member

Thanks for your answers,

It just doesn't make sense, i swifted through several catalogs from year 2006-2012 and i can't seem to find anything remotely close to this guitar. Gold hardware, inlays, floyd rose and a dual humbuckers configuration.

I'll try to post better pictures this week-end, but i'll be honest here, i think i'll have to open her up to confirm if it's a partocaster or some kind of fake.

Cheers,

Forum Member

There we go,

A garbage some sort of fake telecaster out of china. Problem solved.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32824857868.html

Quote Originally Posted by djentlemen View Post
    There we go,

A garbage some sort of fake telecaster out of china. Problem solved.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32824857868.html
    I wonder who added the fender decal to yours? In the photos in the link above, they don't have a good view of the front of the headstock.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

There was a time, not too long ago, when Fender would vigorously pursue such thieves of intellectual property and proprietary trademarks by lodging complaints with the US government. I guess the feds are too busy now, arresting unruly parents at school-board meetings and chasing down scofflaws who refuse to wear a Biden bra.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    I wonder who added the fender decal to yours? In the photos in the link above, they don't have a good view of the front of the headstock.

They usually come with the decal and fake serial numbers.