Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Thoughts Squier CV50s P Bass

  1. #1
    Forum Member blackonblack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    point of reason between tacky and tasteless
    Posts
    1,329

    Thoughts Squier CV50s P Bass

    I’ve been hankering for a SCPB. Not sure why. Going to use flats on it as I don’t have a bass with flats.
    Anyone here that has experience with one.
    Mark

  2. #2
    Forum Member DanTheBluesMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    4,740

    Re: Thoughts Squier CV50s P Bass

    new or used? I really like the Squier CV lines and seldom hesitate to recommend them. I sold my Jazz bass and Stingray. Kept a Squier mini P-bass. If I find a nice CV50 or CV60 (especially with a dark rosewood board) P bass, I'm going to probably grab it. It'll have to fall into my lap, I'm not looking at the moment.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

  3. #3
    Forum Member blackonblack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    point of reason between tacky and tasteless
    Posts
    1,329

    Re: Thoughts Squier CV50s P Bass

    Thanks. Another bass player has pretty much convinced me to get a split P pup so now looking at CV 60s and 70s. Found a CV70 at under 7.75 lbs. that may be the one.
    Mark

  4. #4
    Forum Member blackonblack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    point of reason between tacky and tasteless
    Posts
    1,329

    Re: Thoughts Squier CV50s P Bass

    Well I went with the CV70 PBass in black. Weight is 7 lb 10 oz so between 7.5-7.75 lbs. got 10 % off. Ordered a gig bag and 2 sets of strings. Both LaBella flats. Deep Talkin and Low Tension. I was wanting Low Tension but they were out of stock, so I ordered some Deep Talkin as the first thing when it arrives (should be Wed) is a string change. This bass is for flats alone.
    Mark

  5. #5
    Forum Member phantomman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona
    Posts
    7,312

    Re: Thoughts Squier CV50s P Bass

    What color pickguard?
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

  6. #6
    Forum Member blackonblack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    point of reason between tacky and tasteless
    Posts
    1,329

    Re: Thoughts Squier CV50s P Bass

    Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    What color pickguard?
    Just like my name. Black body, black guard. Well technically is a 3 ply: black white black. I may order a single ply black.
    Mark

  7. #7
    Forum Member blackonblack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    point of reason between tacky and tasteless
    Posts
    1,329

    Re: Thoughts Squier CV50s P Bass

    Mark

  8. #8
    Forum Member phantomman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona
    Posts
    7,312

    Re: Thoughts Squier CV50s P Bass

    Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Just like my name. Black body, black guard. Well technically is a 3 ply: black white black. I may order a single ply black.
    A funeral bass!

    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2023
    Posts
    11

    Re: Thoughts Squier CV50s P Bass

    I bought one when they first came out around 2010 I think (made in China).
    It was a nice bass that sounded really good. In fact it was the first bass from "Fender" that I did not change the pickup on. Eventually traded in for a then new 2011 Fender American Special Jazz Bass.

  10. #10
    Forum Member FrankJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bad JuJu Blues - Its Good for your Soul!
    Posts
    3,938

    Re: Thoughts Squier CV50s P Bass

    I have an early classic Vibe 60s precision bass. I am probably one of the few that didn't like the pickup.. replaced it with a lace sensor be pickup that I had. I Found a guy who had a classic Vibe jazz bass but wanted a Precision neck and coincidentally I found that neck too wide for me. We traded so I have the Precision bass with the Jazz neck and I love it. That being said I have a friend with a fairly new 50s precision and he really likes it. I've played it a couple of times and it's got a awesome neck on it. I put to my stick in field Flats on it and love this thing! He has round rounds on his fifties and I haven't been able to convince him to go with Flats yet. I am super happy with mine and have some other fairly nice basses that I like. This one is a keeper.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2023
    Posts
    11

    Re: Thoughts Squier CV50s P Bass

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    I have an early classic Vibe 60s precision bass. I am probably one of the few that didn't like the pickup.. replaced it with a lace sensor be pickup that I had. I Found a guy who had a classic Vibe jazz bass but wanted a Precision neck and coincidentally I found that neck too wide for me. We traded so I have the Precision bass with the Jazz neck and I love it. That being said I have a friend with a fairly new 50s precision and he really likes it. I've played it a couple of times and it's got a awesome neck on it. I put to my stick in field Flats on it and love this thing! He has round rounds on his fifties and I haven't been able to convince him to go with Flats yet. I am super happy with mine and have some other fairly nice basses that I like. This one is a keeper.
    I had a CV 50’s bass and did not like it.
    I now have a Sire D4 (50’s style bass) and it is far better for not much more.

  12. #12
    Forum Member ch willie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    8,163

    Re: Thoughts Squier CV50s P Bass

    The Sires are really tempting. They appear to be well-made, and people on other fora like them.

    Those Squiers look great with with the black block inlays. I'm on the Lefty Bassist forum, and a quick search tells me that people like them, the only pan is by a guy who said it weighed "400lbs" and had "gross" poly on the neck. The guys on that forum are serious about basses and buy really expensive instruments. They're quite honest in their assessments. By far, they liked the Classic Vibe basses.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2023
    Posts
    11

    Re: Thoughts Squier CV50s P Bass

    Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    The Sires are really tempting. They appear to be well-made, and people on other fora like them.

    Those Squiers look great with with the black block inlays. I'm on the Lefty Bassist forum, and a quick search tells me that people like them, the only pan is by a guy who said it weighed "400lbs" and had "gross" poly on the neck. The guys on that forum are serious about basses and buy really expensive instruments. They're quite honest in their assessments. By far, they liked the Classic Vibe basses.
    Maybe if you add his 391.5lbs to it

  14. #14
    Forum Member blackonblack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    point of reason between tacky and tasteless
    Posts
    1,329

    Re: Thoughts Squier CV50s P Bass

    Lots of action on a post I started over a year ago. The CV 70s Pbass I got, slapped some LaBella Low Tension flats on it and have down over a year of 2x a week gigs with it. Works great and is actually closer to 7.5 lbs.
    Mark

  15. #15
    Forum Member ch willie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    8,163

    Re: Thoughts Squier CV50s P Bass

    Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Lots of action on a post I started over a year ago. The CV 70s Pbass I got, slapped some LaBella Low Tension flats on it and have down over a year of 2x a week gigs with it. Works great and is actually closer to 7.5 lbs.

    Wow, yours is 392.5lbs lighter than the other guy's.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

  16. #16
    Forum Member OldStrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Thoughts Squier CV50s P Bass

    Put a strap on it! It's so light it's likely going to float away if you don't!
    Striving to be ordinary

    Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •