Thread: How to Connect 2 8ohm Speakers to a Super Champ XD

Forum Member

How to Connect 2 8ohm Speakers to a Super Champ XD

I just inherited a Super Champ XD 1-10 combo. I wanted to use it for band practice but I need to be able to plug a second speaker cabinet into it. Is there any way to do that? A splitter cable I can buy or some sort of splitter box or something?
    I found a couple of "Passive Merger" boxes available but none of their settings get you back to 8 ohms. I was not sure if it would be safe to run the Super Champ at 4 or 16 ohms.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: How to Connect 2 8ohm Speakers to a Super Champ XD

The transformers used by Fender in the 60's and 70's would safely allow an impedance mismatch of 100%, but I'm not sure about the more recent amps. Why do you need a second speaker cabinet? More volume? If so, you could get a 2 x 12 external cabinet at 8 ohms, and use it while disconnecting the built in speaker. There is no splitter cable or box that will allow two 8 ohm loads to operate at 8 ohms.

I built a 2 x 10" cabinet for my 6 watt Vibro Champ, and a drummer complained it was too loud when placed in front of his kit on stage.

Last edited by Michael Smith; 08-14-2022 at 05:28 PM.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

It isn't for volume necessarily. We have an odd practice space that is shaped like a "U". My amp is facing me and the drummer and bass player have trouble hearing me because they are on the other side of the "U". I have been using a small speaker cabinet to get myself heard by them in addition to what I am hearing in front of me.
    My friend suggested one of these might even work (because the amp is low-enough power)

https://hosatech.com/products/analog...ables/ypp-111/

or

https://www.amazon.com/PALMER-PCABM-...d_gw_ci_mcx_mi

Any help with any of this or if anyone has had experience with running the Super Champ at 4 or 16 ohms, lmk.
    Last edited by frankthedog; 08-15-2022 at 06:37 AM.

Looking at photos of the Super Champ, the speaker jack says 8 Ohms minimum. So you would want to connect 2 8ohm speakers in series to get a 16ohm load. I wouldn't use the cable in your first link. You won't know if it's wired in series or parallel, and the conductors (wires) are probably too small diameter for a speaker. I built a series box for my 8 ohm amps which allows me to connect 2 4ohm speaker cabinets to yield an 8 ohm load.

I also have a parallel box, which cuts the impedance in half, so 2 8 ohm cabinets would present a 4 ohm load to the amp's output transformer. Used for Fender Bassman, Vibro Champ and Super Twin Reverb amps.
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 08-15-2022 at 04:15 PM.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

The question was asked earlier but I don’t see a response.
    Why the extra speaker?

if more vol, do you have a different amp? If not I’d say pony up and buy a 2 speaker Ext cab at correct ohms. Use that instead of internal speaker. While the specs (as noted) say minimal 8 ohms. Using something different of a higher value may be safe, it may not produce the tone you desire. These things are all created with transformers, tone stacks, etc based upon the expected speaker load (and at times speaker).
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    The question was asked earlier but I don’t see a response.
    Why the extra speaker?

if more vol, do you have a different amp? If not I’d say pony up and buy a 2 speaker Ext cab at correct ohms. Use that instead of internal speaker. While the specs (as noted) say minimal 8 ohms. Using something different of a higher value may be safe, it may not produce the tone you desire. These things are all created with transformers, tone stacks, etc based upon the expected speaker load (and at times speaker).
    From an earlier response, I think the need for an extension cabinet is due to the shape of the rehearsal space. I prefer to match the load of the speaker cabinet(s) to the expected load of the output transformer, even though a higher impedance may be "safe".

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Why not run a cable from the amp's "line out" to a remotely-located powered monitor?
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Why not run a cable from the amp's "line out" to a remotely-located powered monitor?
    That's an outstanding suggestion. I hadn't noticed that the amp had a line out.

Or use the line out as an input to another amp. But I realize not everyone has a bunch of guitar amps.

I only have 2 tube amps with a line out. A 1976 Super Twin Reverb and a 1990's Sovtek Tube Midget. I don't think I've ever used the line out on either.
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 08-15-2022 at 05:19 PM.

Forum Member

When I built my Twin clone, I had planned on a head cabinet, but a friend gave me a Mojo combo cab, which I used. While building it I used a Pro-Tube 94 Twin OT which has 4-8-16 ohm out put, plus a balanced line out. I used a Marshall flush type switch, and along with the parallel "aux" output, I added another jack inline for "series" connections. Lots of options!

Very professional work, Bill!

Few would guess that the amp is "home-built".

That looks SWEET Bill! Would like to see a couple pics of the inside of the chassis.

To the original poster, if you want to build a series box to connect 2 8 Ohm speakers to your amplifier, below is a wiring diagram. Since I don't know your level of expertise, I will add a few additional suggestions.

1. Use speaker cables with 1/4 inch plugs, not guitar cables (wires are too thin and will change the impedance (load)).
    2. For your internal connections inside the series box, use at least 18 gauge wire. I think I used 16 gauge.
    3. Make sure both of your speaker cabinets are wired with the tip of the plug going to the positive terminal on the speaker. You can test this using a multimeter or 9volt battery.

Forum Member

I've got no help for frankthedog's issue, but will post a couple more pics.

Certainly neater and more orderly than many commercial amps I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Certainly neater and more orderly than many commercial amps I've seen.
    And easily serviceable! Nice work.

Forum Member

Thanks!
    This was my first build, so I used CC resistors for the "tone", my later builds I used CF which are less likely to drift. I built a 5E3 for a friend last year who wanted it to be as close to "original" as possible. I went through quite a few resistors to get enough to build the amp to spec!

And what an outstanding job it is, Bill. I'm continually amazed with the tone every time I plug it in. An authentic reproduction with the "icing" being the vintage P12Q speaker with original cone and coil. With a Strat it just oozes that Buddy Holly vibe.

Forum Member

With you playing, Roger, I'll bet one of the SS Peaveys I pick up now and then would sound good!
    Funny, I pick them up for almost nothing, clean them up, maybe change some jacks, filter caps, etc, and can turn them for a couple hundred or more!

Here's what I would do:

Use the amp's line out to either:

a) a FRFR powered speaker such as a Headrush and use it as a floor monitor aimed directly at you

b) (easiest) to the board and use the mains, keep amp for monitor

c) use Hotspot on the mic stand

The main concept is that you need separation -NOT MORE VOLUME!- to keep things sounding good.

Best sounding amp in the world still sounds like crap in a bad mix, but a good mix can sometimes make an iffy amp sound pretty darned good.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

First off, thanks to all for your thoughts about my problem.
    I am not particularly good at wiring (I am old and don;t have the best eyes or steady hands any more) I found this box that looks like it would at least get me to 16ohms.
    Would this work for me?

Yes that box will work if you use the series input. That will convert your 2 eight ohm speakers to a 16 ohm load. Connect everything up using 1/4 inch speaker cables before powering up your amp. The tone and "feel" of the amp may be different with a 16 ohm load on the output transformer, but it should be safe.

Edit: And thinking further about the "y-cable" you posted a link to earlier, it's almost for certain wired in parallel, so it would not be what you want as a solution.
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 08-17-2022 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Added thought

Forum Member

Great. I will check out that box.
    Thanks so much to all (especially Michael) for your help\advice!

Quote Originally Posted by frankthedog View Post
    Great. I will check out that box.
    Thanks so much to all (especially Michael) for your help\advice!
    You are welcome. Let us know how things work out once you get the series/parallel box.

Forum Member

I just started gigging with that Super Champ and loved it - want to be able to use it at practice too! Will keep you posted