Thread: [GT40] Getting fuzz/distortion on B, High E on higher frets (14+)

Forum Member

[GT40] Getting fuzz/distortion on B, High E on higher frets (14+)

Hi all,

I’m on the border between beginner and intermediate so still a long way to go. But, I’m dedicated to improving.

I use a Fender Mustang GT40 with a Strat and have been experimenting with tones. I love crunchy, distorted tones and have been able to get some good results from my amp on the lower end of the fret board. However, when I’m playing high e’s and b’s on, say, frets 14-21, they seem to lose the distortion and sound almost clean.

I know my amp is low end, but it’s what I have to work with. I’ve tried maxing gain on every setting but still can’t get what I’m looking for. Any advice?

Two main questions I guess:

1). For the GT40 specifically, is there a setting, pre/post effect, or something else I should focus on to get the tone I’m looking for?

2). In general, besides gain, is there an amp setting to help with those higher notes distorting?

I don’t have the luxury of blasting my amp (neighbors) but I do crank up the amp volume and master so that distortion occurs—I adjust the loudness using the guitar knob.

Any advice would be genuinely appreciated.

Here is the tone I’m trying to match—especially the second half where he’s playing b/e on 14 and 17.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K2vEnzU2Dt0

Re: [GT40] Getting fuzz/distortion on B, High E on higher frets (14+)

It's hard to offer any advice, never having tried a digital modeling amp. Have you tried any high-gain amp presets? Like Mesa-Boogie or Marshall JCM 800? The presets may go by slightly different amp names, since they are competitor's amps.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Re: [GT40] Getting fuzz/distortion on B, High E on higher frets (14+)

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguy View Post
    Hi all,

I’m on the border between beginner and intermediate so still a long way to go. But, I’m dedicated to improving.

I use a Fender Mustang GT40 with a Strat and have been experimenting with tones. I love crunchy, distorted tones and have been able to get some good results from my amp on the lower end of the fret board. However, when I’m playing high e’s and b’s on, say, frets 14-21, they seem to lose the distortion and sound almost clean.

I know my amp is low end, but it’s what I have to work with. I’ve tried maxing gain on every setting but still can’t get what I’m looking for. Any advice?

Two main questions I guess:

1). For the GT40 specifically, is there a setting, pre/post effect, or something else I should focus on to get the tone I’m looking for?

2). In general, besides gain, is there an amp setting to help with those higher notes distorting?

I don’t have the luxury of blasting my amp (neighbors) but I do crank up the amp volume and master so that distortion occurs—I adjust the loudness using the guitar knob.

Any advice would be genuinely appreciated.

Here is the tone I’m trying to match—especially the second half where he’s playing b/e on 14 and 17.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K2vEnzU2Dt0
    that actually doesn't sound very high gain to me, it sounds like maybe there's a fuzz pedal on but I think the echo/delay/reverb gives it more of that soaring sound than gain. Most well recorded stuff is a lot less high gain than people think. I actually liked that video, never heard Simon and Garfunkel like that before. I'm assuming that Disturbed did a cover.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"