Thread: Oh dear, a detour

Oh dear, a detour

I guess there are turns in every endeavor that we didn't anticipate. I just sold 2 basses pretty easily. I wasn't playing them, just got a different way to go low and didn't need them.

So I thought I'd pick the ebony Epiphone Les Paul Custom to go up next. I got the LPC out to weigh and measure. 8 lb. 12.0 ounces, 0.789 1st fret and 0.931 12th fret. It's a slim neck, but it doesn't feel flat on the back at all, it fits very comfortably. Then I started playing, after not having played jack squat for the last 3 months.

Dang. This is a very fun guitar to play, it's lively and loud for a solid body. I may have to hold onto this for a while. If my brother goes out for the day tomorrow, I have to hear the pickups at volume. Then decide, sell the guitar as is right now, or keep it for a lab slab to experiment with pickups, pots, caps.

This may be harder than I thought.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Course correction FKA: Oh dear, a detour

played through my FSR PRRI 15w/12" spkr. I think the pickups are pretty good, but they need to be dialed in. For one; that's a somewhat personal thing. Do I spent time, possibly hours, trying to dial them in for how I play, or leave that up to the new owner.

It's not that I don't like tinkering with stuff, it's the time. I just don't have the willingness to spend that kind of time, on something I'll probably end up selling anyway.

Re: Oh dear, a detour

well, back on course, I guess. I'm going to sell the LPC and I'm not going to buy that Explorer after all. I went to check it out today. It played fine, sounded right, pleasantly surprised with the sitting position balance. Again, the fretboard was like the Flying V, some variegated wood that really needs to be a nice dark rosewood to satisfy me. I'm trying to raise money for my music room, not buy more guitars.

At least I now have new strings I can put on the Epiphone.