Thread: I ffinally found a buyer for my Heritage H-150!

I ffinally found a buyer for my Heritage H-150!

And I hope I don't regret it!

I may have mentioned a few months ago that I bought a Gibson Les Paul that was very similar to my Heritage H-150. I decided that I preferred the Les Paul over the H-150 and put it up for sale. I had it list for over two months and only received trade offers! Not one serious cash offer.

This weekend I was offered a Kauer Daylighter Jr from about 2014 and cash. I had the guy bring the guitar over an I liked it!

It's basically a Les Paul Jr (P90, wrap tail, set neck, 24.75" scale) that looks like an offset Fender. It's got a nice fat neck, tall frets, a Wolftone Meaner P90 pickup. It plays and sounds great! Now to make it my own.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Re: I ffinally found a buyer for my Heritage H-150!

As you didn’t need the Heritage, and this is something you like; I say great trade.
    Mark

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

The more I look at that, I like. May have to search one up as I want a “JR or Special”. My only P90 is in a full hollow. Like a solid.
    Mark

I had been thinking about getting an LP or SG Jr. I had a Jr. years ago as well as a mid '60s Epiphone Olympic that I put a P90 in and missed them. I like that this looks different. Plus it only weighs 7 pounds, even with that long body. It balances really well on a strap, but is a little funky when I play it sitting on the couch.

That is a great looking guitar, and the case fits really well. Congrats on the sale and HNGD!
    Born in Fullerton, California in 1952

Interesting, what do you prefer about the LP over the H150? Wider neck?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Interesting, what do you prefer about the LP over the H150? Wider neck?
    I went back and forth between the LP and H-150 for months and considered keeping them both- they were that different in sound though the look and feel was fairly similar!

The initial draw was the LP's thicker neck, but the LP is has both more bass and more treble in it's sound, even with the same pickups- even unplugged! The H-150 sounded a little dull compared to the LP. The H-150 was a little more articulate with its stock Duncan '59 pickups and better for high gain sounds. The LP is a little "sweeter" sounding with its stock Burstbucker 1 & 2 pickups. Better for the clean to medium gain sounds that I'm into more, though it can get a little muddy with higher gain settings.

The H-150 was made out of prettier wood with a nicer looking finish and slightly better build quality, but it just didn't sound as good.

In the end, one had to go- I like Les Pauls, but they're not my go-to guitar, so I don't like to have too much money invested in them.

BTW, I had a Gibson ES-335 and Heritage H-535 at the same time a couple of years ago and the H-535 was the clear winner for me. I think it's more of a guitar to guitar thing rather than Gibson vs Heritage.

Thanks Don,

Good comparison.

I prefer my Heritage to my LP, It's got a bit more "girth" to the sound but I do have issues with the smaller neck. It plays marvelously but I tend to get a bit stiff and crampy after a long set with it. Generally not a problem as I switch off between The LP style and S style during shows (and occasionally a T style or 335). We do a ZZ Top thing sometimes and my Heritage kicks it for that. If I don't feel like switching guitars for some reason I'll use LP as it can go a little brighter into almost T style land with the coils split, but usually it's my old extremely beaten S style that gets the most workout at a show.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I spent a lot of time comparing the guitars. It's funny that you mention ZZ Top. If I was playing ZZ Top all night, the H-150 would be the better guitar. The Les Paul excels at things like Mike Bloomfield and the cleaner side of the Allman Brothers.

Regarding the neck size, the LP's neck is only 0.030" thicker than the H-150's and is almost exactly the same width, but it's rounder and feels quite a bit larger.

The Kauer has a pretty large feeling neck. According to the specs, it's slightly larger than the LP's neck at the first fret and slightly smaller than the H-150's neck at the 12th fret, but it's very round- like a baseball bat cut in half (like you'd expect from an old Les Paul Jr).

.030" is actually a lot in guitar measurements IME.

I may have to decide between two Les Pauls in the not so distant future if I am serious about trimming down my inventory. I love both my R9 and R0, but in all seriousness, I would like to cut down to one each of LP, Strat, Tele, bass and acoustic. To meet that goal, a lot of stuff has got to go.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"