Thread: The Sunday Thread For August 7, 2022

The Sunday Thread For August 7, 2022

We had a bit of a "midweek thread" so this is just a pro forma post to check in and let others know about the week ahead.

It's now August. The Dog Days. I actually came up with the start of a new song (something I haven't done in decades!) called, "Hazy, Hot & Humid." That's the daily forecast around here, and throws me back to my teenage years, when every day's forecast began with those words.

My daughter and her family is at the beach, and she sent me a couple of photos. It looks nice there. We had dinner out on Thursday, and I'm delighted we're doing that again. My grandson is now (mostly) able to behave himself for dinner out, so we may resume our weekly get togethers soon.

After a very short business trip to California, I am once again preparing for a week of training ahead. A small class of only five, so it should go fairly easy, I think.

Here's hoping everyone's August gets off to a good start. Stay cool!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread For August 7, 2022

Hot here in Connecticut, too. I have a busy week. Meeting with a surgeon on Monday. Ultrasounds that show my liver is healing since my weight loss also show a bunch of gallstones. I'm going to discuss whether we should remove the gall bladder now or wait for a crisis later. What I'm hearing is that doing it now might be safer and easier. We'll see. I also have training this week - two different boards are holding retreats this week and I'll be helping them set goals and evaluate themselves. Should be fun!

Planning a trip to Nashville to visit my birth family again - I'm going to spend my birthday with my mother which should be emotional for both of us. According to her , I was actually born in 1952, not 1953 like all my records show (I've never seen my birth certificate - they used to seal them) so I'll celebrate my 70th with her at the end of the month, and celebrate my 70th again next year with the rest of my family. We have tended to celebrate milestone birthdays with guitars, so I sense an opportunity here...

Have a great week everyone!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Statistics indicate that surgery (however involved) is riskier as we age. Best to have that gall bladder removed sooner rather than later. I was "liberated" from mine about ten years ago and I haven't missed the sonofabitch. It gave me problems for forty years -- good riddance!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I woke at 1:00 AM to lightning and thunder with a bit of a downpour and, because of high humidity and the AC running for the last few weeks, got up at seven to all the windows on the house clouded over. We really needed the rain so I believe I can hear my lawn saying, “thank you, thank you, thank you”!

It should be a nice, lazy day here so looking forward to doing absolutely nothing.

Hope all have a great week.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Well last night was played a paid bass church gig (It appears Ill have 2 of these a month). Went to my church this AM. During service a lens pop out of my readers. Looking for a pair of my wife’s readers so I can replace the screw LOL
    Mark

met my buyer about an hour ago to deliver the bass I sold. Now I just have to wait and see how much flesh Reverb is going to take. I just know they're going to ding me 5% of the 21.88 they collected for MA taxes on the buyer's behalf. Working on the next one, getting all the vitals so I can list it thoroughly.

Been thinking of moving all my guitar stuff to the ersatz music room, to help give me motivation and an idea of just how much stuff I need to make space for. Now that the garage has been brought up to code, I'm thinking of getting all the stuff in there out and into the basement. It's going to be a laborious process and I'll take my time doing it. Just so long as I finish it before it starts to snow. Hard to think about that when it's so hot out right now. Humidity is pretty brutal. The last two nights I went downtown, the level of police and first responder activity was crazy. This is a miserable time for LEOs, who have to wear 25 lb. of battle rattle and deal with often extremely intoxicated individuals who have been drinking all day.

I seem to be spending a lot of time indoors these days, I barely go for walks anymore. In a few weeks, once the high heat is abated, I aim to get out more. I used to be all about going out in the heat. I blame the extra weight i've put on since 2020. If I can get down 15 pounds, my heat resistance should increase.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I woke at 1:00 AM to lightning and thunder with a bit of a downpour and, because of high humidity and the AC running for the last few weeks, got up at seven to all the windows on the house clouded over. We really needed the rain so I believe I can hear my lawn saying, “thank you, thank you, thank you”!

It should be a nice, lazy day here so looking forward to doing absolutely nothing.

Hope all have a great week.
    Did you start humming a song from 1962?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I don't normally follow on to the Sunday thread, but in this case...

My daughter contacted me yesterday via text. She and hubby and kids are vacationing at the beach. Their plans were thrown into major change mode as their Toyota Highlander was t-boned by another car. Fortunately, no one in either vehicle was injured. She told me the Toyota was spun, and is probably totaled (interesting, that no airbag deployment occurred). Very shaken, obviously, but grateful that everyone is okay. I did my best to calm them down, and hope they can resume their vacation before coming home and having to deal with the after effects.

Sounds like the angels were watching over them. Whew.
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I

Sounds like the angels were watching over them. Whew.
    I'm sure the engineers and designers of the vehicles might want a shoutout too, along with the folks that championed the government safety standards.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I'm surprised that the side-curtain airbags didn't deploy.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

First and primary, I’m glad they are safe. Second, vacation will probably not be enjoyed. As you said major changes.
    Hopefully they can go on another one sooner rather than later.
    Mark

Thanks for the wishes and comments. All I can do from a couple hundred miles away is to offer my encouragement and support. I was told my granddaughter is now frightened to get in a car, and all I could do was suggest that she was saved by car. She could have been a pile of mush in a lesser vehicle (or on foot). I agree that the Toyota engineers should be applauded. My daughter thinks the vehicle is totaled, and airbag deployment would have cinched it, but now she'll have to wait for the insurance appraisal. Still, the most important thing is that everyone is safe and unhurt.
    Striving to be ordinary