Thread: Looking for ideas

Forum Member

Looking for ideas

I recently came by an amazing trade situation. I traded a 2004 Les Paul Jr for a 2014 John Mayer Strat. I have to say that this has reinvigorated my interest in the Stratocaster.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Now, I've sold my Carvin CS6 and am looking for another Strat. I find the Original 60's Strat hits the specs I like, but a MOD SHOP Strat sounds interesting as well. I know, "First world problems," but its puzzling with all of the great guitars out there but none reasonably local enough to play before I pay.

I definitely want something in the 60s spec range though. This I know for sure.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Looking for ideas

You're off to a great start.

Why not merely play that one for a while as you refine your desired parameters?

There are a lot of details to consider, cosmetic and technical.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

True. Just looking for anyone with experience with both to provide a "compair/contrast" between the two.

I like your sig-line.

I mostly build my own Strats, usually to resemble historically-correct vintage instruments from the '50s and '60s. Different finishes, different pickups, different body and fretboard compositions, etc. IMO these Strats are the epitome of Leo's genius though I often incorporate contemporary developments such as noiseless pickups and modified wiring configurations. Visually they look like stock guitars from the era but "under the hood" are some tasty treats.

Forum Member

Building one from parts is not out of the question. Do you have any recommendations on a body and neck?

Nope. Everything is totally subjective when it comes to building a Strat. But what I do is, I visualize what I want the finished guitar to look like before I ever order a single part. Once I have that image in hand, I proceed by first selecting and purchasing the neck, followed by a body in the finish I want. I try to choose genuine Fender components whenever possible. Here's a couple of examples......

Forum Member

Very nice. I was thinking Surf Green with a rosewood board.

The first guitar I posted began life as a 1998 MIM '50s Classic Series Strat. I had the body professionally repainted in Taos Turquoise then replaced everything else save for the neck and pickguard with US-made Fender hardware, Kluson Deluxe tuning machines, and DiMarzio pickups. It travels in a tweed G&G hard-shell case and the entire outlay totaled about $1500 -- roughly half what Fender would've charged. I built it to resemble an early 1955 instrument and features such details as "PATENT PENDING" saddles, the "miniskirt" control knobs, a "football" switch tip, the Tele-style string tree, and a neck plate stamped with a period-correct serial number. It sounds quite snappy played through that '66 Vibrolux Reverb with its original Jensen C10NS speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by CRonquille View Post
    Building one from parts is not out of the question. Do you have any recommendations on a body and neck?
    There's a million aftermarket builders of parts, some more custom / customizable than others.
    PLaces like Warmoth, US Custom, Allparts, Precision are big ones, but the prices are pretty high too. You can find ones of Ebay and stuff too, but those can be questionable build. OR there's templates to build your own from scratch available too.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

TFF Stage Crew

If you're not afraid of shooting some lacquer, Allparts makes some great repro necks in a pretty good variety. I've used a lot of them. I started out just spraying them after a light sanding w/400 grit straight out of the box. The last one I shot, I felt confident enough to do a little more shaping & then replace the plastic markers w/some "clay" dots I found on Reverb.
    At any rate, piecing one together can be both rewarding & economical depending on the parts
    Last edited by Cogs; 07-25-2022 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    If you're not afraid of shooting some lacquer, Allparts makes some great repro necks in a pretty good variety.
    +1

They also offer bodies in a variety of configurations and finishes.