Thread: FENDER GT-12AX7R vs FENDER GT-ECC83S

FENDER GT-12AX7R vs FENDER GT-ECC83S

Does anyone actually know what the difference is, if any, between a FENDER GT-12AX7R and a FENDER GT-ECC83S.

I got a brand new Fender Bassbreaker 30R in the shop for repair and it has installed GT-ECC83S at position V1 and V2 (input gain, tone buffer and effects drive) and GT-12AX7R at t V3 (phase splitter).

Asked Fender directly and could not get an answer there either?

Anyone out there got any insights?

Thanks

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: FENDER GT-12AX7R vs FENDER GT-ECC83S

What does the schematic specify?
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

From what I can determine 12AX7 and ECC83 tubes are interchangeable, with one being the American name and ECC being the European designation. There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding the "s" at the end of ECC83S. I have seen people say it refers to it being made in Slovakia, that the S stands for short plate, or even spiral filament. I don't know what the S stands for, if anything.

The only word of caution is if you use ECC803 tubes in a combo amp, it may be subject to microphonics, as it is a long-plate version of the ECC83. My 1977 Deluxe Reverb (bought used), came with 4 ECC803 tubes in the 12AX7 positions. I bought 4 new EC83 tubes and swapped them out (before tube prices went crazy). Probably wouldn't have needed to do this, as I don't play extremely loud and I didn't notice any microphonics, but now I at least have some additional spare preamp tubes.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    The only word of caution is if you use ECC803 tubes in a combo amp, it may be subject to microphonics, as it is a long-plate version of the ECC83.
    +1

I eschew long-plate subminiature tubes for that very reason, especially for the gain stages and phase inverter.

I did run across this article about the different Sovtek 12AX7 variants. They also make a 12AX7LP (long plate) which I didn't include in the attached.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

It would've been nice if that data sheet also included the S/N ratios for each variant.

I couldn't find any schematics for that amp, but the Fender literature says it has 3 12AX7 preamp tubes. On older Fender amps, I have only seen 12AT7's used as a phase inverter, so perhaps they are using something other than a tube for the phase inverter? It would be nice to see a schematic for this amp.

Edit: I found the user manual for the amp. You may not be able to read it clearly, but for Tubes it says V1-V3 7025/12AX7/ECC83.

Last edited by Michael Smith; 07-24-2022 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    What does the schematic specify?
    We are talking Fender Bassbreaker 30R in this case. Brand new unit and it has GT-ECC83S in V1 and V2 and GT-12AX7R in V3. Fender schematics for exact same unit (obtained from Fender ) specifies "12AX7A" in all positions - parts list from same Service Manual specifies "TUBE GT-ECC83-S SELECT" for all positions.

So - still no wiser ....

Technically the 12AX7A is a low-noise equivalent to the now long-discontinued 7025.