Thread: The Sunday Thread for July 17, 2022

The Sunday Thread for July 17, 2022

It's July. And I'm too laid back to think of a clever subject line, so it's just plain, up-front a place to check in, tell us about your past week, and anything you might have coming up.

For me, today I'll be joining my family to celebrate my granddaughter's ninth birthday. We may be going to a restaurant -- something we've not done much of since my grandson was born, since he's just to much of a handful. But he's now getting to an age where he might be civil enough for an hour or two, so on this special occasion... I bought her a silver necklace I think she'll like.

Church this morning, where we're going to have one service, outdoors (weather permitting) joined by the kids and their parents attending summer camp. Songs, games and maybe (junk) food.

Last week was a full week of training. This week I'll have one Wednesday and Thursday, so a couple of days to unwind and then a couple of days to spin up. This week, the open mic club has a "theme night," meaning if one wants to play, the them is trains. I don't know any train songs offhand, but I'm thinking of Dylan's It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes a Train To Cry. I'm not overly charged up about it, so I might just pass.

Anyway, that's it for me. Nothing spectacular, and the highlight is my granddaughter's birthday. Be well, everyone.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: The Sunday Thread for July 17, 2022

How about "City Of New Orleans" by Arlo Guthrie?
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Finished a club job last night fairly early, was home in bed before midnight even with a 45 minute drive. Have a single set job for a music festival this afternoon. Backline and sound provided so it's basically show up with a couple guitars and a pedal board and good to go. Will see a bunch of other good bands there - 10 stages- so it will be fun to catch up with players I'll run into.

Have to spend some time on the tractor later this AM and then later to tonight hopefully a little downtime with some nice Sativa and acoustic on the back deck. No fishing this weekend.

Weather has been SPECTACULAR all week, lows in the mid 60's and highs around 90 with blue skies and gentle breezes.

Work is still a total shitshow but I'm fine since I'm so close to retiring, looks like I'll be fishing pretty much full-time next year and I'll be spending a lot of time in the Keys chasing marlin and mahi and up north doing stripers and tuna. That, and some local bass tournaments for funzies.

Thinking about building a new guitar, I'd like a Tele with buckers and Gibson scale and a recessed Tune-O-Matic. Push-pulls for splitters. And of course, bass boat sparkle. I think it could be a fun axe.

Casey Jones is a great song, so is the one about the monkey engineer.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I’ve been helping out a friend’s band lately and the events are different from the bar gigs I’ve gotten accustomed to. Yesterday was a 1 to 4 PM celebration of life for a friend, and today it’s 1 to 5 at a local fishing derby when awards are handed out. I like having the evenings free after playing a gig; it makes for a really enjoyable day.

Hope all have a great week.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

My wife has had the flu for the past 5 days. Woke up with a touch of a sore throat yesterday but felt fine. Spent the day looking for property. Got home for dinner, ate then got cold chills like no tomorrow. Not a good nights sleep. Feeling a bit better today, but tested anyways. Yep 1st positive for COVID. I’ve had 23 known exposures and never got it. Guess 24 was my lucky number. Will test again tomorrow to make sure it’s not a false positive.
    I have a new to me Martin 00 to pass time with.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    How about "City Of New Orleans" by Arlo Guthrie?

Something tells me that one's already spoken for (playing a duplicate is likely considered impolite). According to the "invitation," Many musicians will want to do the Steve Goodman song City of New Orleans or Freight Train by Lizzie Cotton, and those who sign up early or who’re lucky may be able to sing them. But most should be prepared to play something else. Here are the titles already listed: Folsom Prison Blues, The Ballad of John Henry, Chattanooga Choo Choo, Mystery Train, The Midnight Special, The Wreck of the Old 97, This Train Is Bound for Glory, Dixie Flyer, 500 Miles, Downbound Train, Rock Island Line, Paddy on the Railway, The Ballad of Casey Jones (The Brave Engineer), Wabash Cannonball, Long Train Running, I’ve Been Working on the Railroad, Last Train to Clarksville, Downtown Train.
    Striving to be ordinary

Good day all! Got a late start this morning. We're going to my stepson's house today to have a party for our grandson. He just turned 18 and his girlfriend is up from Florida and he wants us to meet her, so we're having a party. Ann spent all week making manicotti and meatballs (her manicotti is to die for) and we'll bring the spread down there for the festivities. Work week will be slow this week. One workshop scheduled for Tuesday night, otherwise I'll be hanging out in the office all week. It will be too hot to do much anyways - not even cutting the grass, because it will burn bad enough the way it is. Sure could use some rain!

Chuck - you are always welcome to come down here - some great striper fishing can be had!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

summer is coming on strong this week ahead, enduring a/c in an effort to keep the house from getting too warm, yet I still don't like feeling cold air blowing on me, especially swirling around my feet. Yeah, first world problems, I know.

Made a tiny bit of progress on the basement, need to do one more check for nails sticking out of the walls and make sure I didn't miss any. My attempts to sell stuff seems to be awfully slow, I based my prices on what the same or similar items sold for, and I'm not even getting lowball offers. People keep bitching about the high prices of used gear, but I think the market has cooled off a lot. You wouldn't know it to see the prices people are still asking for, though.

Striving to change my diurnal cycle, stop staying up late and sleeping in. The worst part is, I used to stay up late because I was playing guitar. Now I'm not even doing that. I've barely played at all so far this month. I need to start playing during the day, which is tricky because my brother works from home a lot.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

It’s my birthday. Wife baked apple pie (my favorite) and we had dinner with my old folks.

She also gave me an Impulse Response device, which I still haven’t figured out how to use. I am a tube amp man. But it’ll be interesting to learn about these new thingies that theoretically are good for studio recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcane View Post
    It’s my birthday. Wife baked apple pie (my favorite) and we had dinner with my old folks.

She also gave me an Impulse Response device, which I still haven’t figured out how to use. I am a tube amp man. But it’ll be interesting to learn about these new thingies that theoretically are good for studio recordings.
    Happy birthday, Sergio
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcane View Post

Happy Birthday, Sergio!

Happy birthday Sérgio, er... Sugarcane!
    Striving to be ordinary

Here's a fun easy train song, you can even do a simple pentatonic solo and it will sound good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQGb...&start_radio=1
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Here's a fun easy train song, you can even do a simple pentatonic solo and it will sound good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQGb...&start_radio=1
    That seems like a fun one. Not enough time for me to learn it now, but I'm going to file that away for the next time train songs are the topic. Thanks!
    Striving to be ordinary

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Here's nice tight train song that might work......

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I had an old forum buddy over on Sunday. We had a great time playing a lot of guitars and amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I had an old forum buddy over on Sunday. We had a great time playing a lot of guitars and amps.
    Who?