Thread: Rock Hall

Rock Hall

I just got back from a semi-impromptu trip to Cleveland to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I won't go into the decision-making process of who's in and who isn't, because everyone has their own opinions on that. My only commentary on that is that there is a very strong emphasis on The Beatles (but that's their current showcase exhibit, based on the Disney+ "Get Back" remastered video by director Peter Jackson. Having seen the entire program, I didn't need to spend too much time with the exhibit. The Rolling Stones are everywhere, as is Jimi Hendrix. Okay, they all belong, but I wanted to see the "lesser known" inductees.

So, I was perfectly prepared to not see some of my favorites (Little Feat, Spirit) as they seemed to fly under the radar for the most part, but after going from the bottom to the top, back down again, and up again, I finally had to ask a staff member why they didn't have anything on display from the only three-time HOF inductee, Eric Clapton? A brief awkward silence, then a handoff to another staffer, who almost apologetically told me, "We used to have Clapton's guitar from Tears In Heaven." He then informed me that items not donated to the museum are privately owned, and lent, such as ZZ Top's hot rod, which they had for eight years before giving it back. Artists, families or collectors lend items. Apparently, Clapton is not a fan of institutions (he said so in one of his induction speeches) and so has not seen fit to contribute to his elevated status.

The one display I liked most was found on the sixth floor, where there are only four displays (and not even listed on the hall's
    web site). The fifth and sixth floors are both listed as "Legends of Rock," so one has to wonder about the thinking of the sixth floor displays. As I entered the display room, my eyes fell upon a rig used by John Cipollina, one of the two guitarists for the seminal San Francisco acid rock band, Quicksilver Messenger Service. The sands of time are not kind to anyone or anything without care and maintenance. So Cipollina's name is likely unknown to today's generation of guitar players (he died in 1989 from a lifelong respiratory ailment. He was 46). Not only did he play electric guitar with metal fingerpicks, but he designed and built his own amp stack. It's this stack that was donated to the museum in 1995.

There is a
    John Cipollina web site, and a stock photo of this rig, along with the following description (also used in the HOF):

To create his distinctive guitar sound, Cipollina developed this one-of-a-kind amplifier stack. All of his guitars, including the one here, were wired with two pickups, one for bass and one for treble. The bass pickup fed into the two Standel bass amps on the bottom of the stack. Each Standel was equipped with two 15-inch speakers. The treble pickups fed the two Fender amps--a Fender Twin Reverb with two 12-inch speakers and a Fender Dual Showman--that drove the six Wurlitzer horns. "I like the rapid punch of solid-state for the bottom, and the rodent-gnawing distortion of the tubes on top," Cipollina said.

Cipollina used a custom foot-switched system to select reverb, tremolo, Astro Echoplex (the unit mounted on the right of the Twin Reverb), Standel Modulux (on the left of the twin reverb) or the horns. Truck running lights indicated which effect was being used.
    Cipollina also employed a Gibson Maestro Fuzz and Vox wah-wah and volume pedals.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Rock Hall

That is one weird looking rig! I've heard of Quicksilver Messenger Service, but couldn't name any of their songs.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

A couple of quick samples......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtnGgCmU7IQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhTf8gqRp1Y

QMS was a staple of the "Summer Of Love" era in the Bay Area. I saw them many times, sometimes at indoor venues such as the Avalon Ball Room and the Fillmore while other times at outdoor freebie events at Golden Gate Park. A great band.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Didn’t Craig C play with QMS before Airplane at the ripe age of 15?
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Didn’t Craig C play with QMS before Airplane at the ripe age of 15?
    I believe you're thinking of Pete Sears, who played with Cipollina before joining what would become the Starship. (Side note: Craig Chaquico played one of my all-time favorite guitar solos on Flowers of the Night, off the Baron von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun album).

There's a lot of Cipollina work available on
    archive.org, too.

Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    That is one weird looking rig! I've heard of Quicksilver Messenger Service, but couldn't name any of their songs.
    QSM were one of the groups that defined the acid-rock music that grew out of the 1967 Summer of Love scene in San Francisco. I consider their first two albums classics, in that I never grow tired of listening to them. Their second album, Happy Trails features a 25:22 minute A-side of a "live" jam (it was culled from two different nights) based on Bo Diddley's Who Do You Love. Its "movements" are the basis for solos from the band members, and was jokingly named the Who Do You Love Suite as a result.

The band featured two excellent guitarists, paving the way for the "dueling leads" later to come (Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Bros, Eagles, etc.). Gary Duncan, with his jazz influence combined with Cipollina's decidedly rock-based chops formed a two-lead system that shines on the Who Do You Love Suite.

When the band comes out of the "quiet" portion of the song and launches into the grand finale, Cipollina's Wurlitzer horns make a resounding statement: WAKE UP!

If only once, you owe it to yourself to spend a half hour with some good headphones on and listen to this "concert."

And at the end, if you're not completely spent, you may realize that it was, as Cipollina, baffled by the positive reception to it said, "it was just a two-chord jam."
    Striving to be ordinary

I listened to the 2 songs Phantomman posted earlier, and can say with a fair amount of certainty, I had never heard them before. I was just a kid listening to the Beatles and Beach Boys during that era. I will give the Who Do You Love song a listen later on, since I am at least familiar with it.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

I listened to the 2 songs Phantomman posted earlier, and can say with a fair amount of certainty, I had never heard them before. I was just a kid listening to the Beatles and Beach Boys during that era. I will give the Who Do You Love song a listen later on, since I am at least familiar with it.

Funny, the two songs phantomman posted are the two I play acoustically at open mic nights (Pride of Man is a tough one for me to remember all the lyrics).
    Striving to be ordinary

QMS never received the recognition (or the commercial success) of many of their peers such as the Airplane, Big Brother, Country Joe, etc but ultimately hit the mainstream of rock with the release of their song "Fresh Air" which became the anthem of the then-fledgling eco-movement. Much like their contemporaries The Youngbloods, Moby Grape, The Flying Burrito Brothers, and Pacific Gas & Electric, in concert they were usually regarded as supporting acts.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    QMS never received the recognition (or the commercial success) of many of their peers such as the Airplane, Big Brother, Country Joe, etc but ultimately hit the mainstream of rock with the release of their song "Fresh Air" which became the anthem of the then-fledgling eco-movement. Much like their contemporaries The Youngbloods, Moby Grape, The Flying Burrito Brothers, and Pacific Gas & Electric, in concert they were usually regarded as supporting acts.
    I do remember the song "fresh air". I probably listened to it thru the tiny speaker in the 9 volt powered transistor radio I got for Christmas back in the day.

I did listen to the 25 minute song posted above. I guess if you are a good musician but not a great song writer, you just play extended jams. Decent field recording for the day though.

I do remember the song "fresh air". I probably listened to it thru the tiny speaker in the 9 volt powered transistor radio I got for Christmas back in the day.

I did listen to the 25 minute song posted above. I guess if you are a good musician but not a great song writer, you just play extended jams. Decent field recording for the day though.
    Fresh Air was Quicksilver's only "hit," and by the time it was released (1970) the band had begun to shift to a more folk-rock sound. Their egotistical leader and primary songwriter, Dino Valenti had been released from prison (a drug sentence) and had taken the microphone back (a mistake, I believe, as he had a lousy singing voice). However, reviewer Matthew Greenwald wrote, "It's also home to some of John Cipollina's finest guitar work."

Extended jams were the thing in the 1960s. At the time, LSD was still legal. Stoned concert-goers enjoyed "tripping" to long "psychedelic" pieces of music. Musicians would simply jam onstage, sometimes for hours on end. In his autobiography, Eric Clapton said something to the effect that Cream would just play the same five or six songs endlessly and people wouldn't notice. Side-length album tracks became popular. Iron Butterfly perhaps opened the floodgates with In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (even though it was the first in-house platinum record for Atlantic Records, it's still not enough to garner them a RnR Hall of Fame induction). Other groups followed suit: The Allman Brothers At The Fillmore East featured extended tracks In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, Whipping Post and You Don't Love Me and was their key to success. Rare Earth did an extended remake of Heard It Through The Grapevine and on their debut double album, the Sons of Champlin side four was the single track, Freedom. The Grateful Dead, Phish, Gv't Mule and others have made bank on their extended jams.

It was almost a rite of passage to release jam tracks. Steppenwolf had a full side of The Pusher which was rather poor in quality and suggests fulfilling a contractual obligation rather than make an artistic statement. I can't speak for others, but I loved to jam in college, and Quicksilver's Who Do You Love Suite was a great example. No, it wasn't fancy songwriting (it was a Bo Diddley tune) and it was a mere two chords, but my friends and I would rock out on it a lot. Because it was EASY.

Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Rare Earth did an extended remake of I Heard It Through The Grapevine
    I think you are referring to Rare Earth's cover of "Get Ready", originally released by The Temptations.

CCR did offer their version of "I Heard It Through The Grape Vine" on Cosmos Factory

TFF Stage Crew

I can't find a citation, but I think I read somewhere that the Who Do You Love Suite was broken up into movements on the record & given satirical names in order to cash in on some publishing requirements put on them by the record company

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I think you are referring to Rare Earth's cover of "Get Ready", originally released by The Temptations.

CCR did offer their version of "I Heard It Through The Grape Vine" on Cosmos Factory

You are so right. I even have the album! My haste in searching for examples led me to the error.

(btw, I saw Rare Earth in performance at a local high school shortly after the record came out. Those were the days!)
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    (btw, I saw Rare Earth in performance at a local high school shortly after the record came out. Those were the days!)
    +1!

Even today, the full-length recording of "Get Ready" remains as one of the best-engineered live tracks ever committed to tape.

Rare Earth was my first arena concert, after having seen some fledgling band from Boston at my high school (but actually formed in NH) called Aerosmith before they had released their first album.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"