Thread: Yanking King' George III's Doodle

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Yanking King' George III's Doodle

Today we commemorate once again throwing off the tyrannical yoke of British colonial rule. Let us toast to those intrepid souls who risked all to make freedom in this country a reality. I'll be celebrating quietly at home though I'm preparing an appropriate meal consisting of home-made salsa and chips, deviled eggs, barbecued burgers, and baked roadhouse beans, washed down with some nice single-malt scotch. For those firing off the obligatory fireworks tonight, PLEASE BE CAREFUL! Missing fingers and loss of eyesight are not conducive to enjoyable guitar playing.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Re: Yanking King' George III's Doodle

We have a daughter, and a great grand daughter having birthdays today, our daughter can't be here, but we'll have fun with her grand daughter! We did the party, pinata, cookout Saturday so all could join in.
    I just wish all could understand what our founders risked when they decided to form this country where all could have the freedom to make our own way without government interference. Sadly today, imposing rules "for our own good" flies in the face of the original intent!

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Today we commemorate once again throwing off the tyrannical yoke of British colonial rule. Let us toast to those intrepid souls who risked all to make freedom in this country a reality. I'll be celebrating quietly at home though I'm preparing an appropriate meal consisting of home-made salsa and chips, deviled eggs, barbecued burgers, and baked roadhouse beans, washed down with some nice single-malt scotch. For those firing off the obligatory fireworks tonight, PLEASE BE CAREFUL! Missing fingers and loss of eyesight are not conducive to enjoyable guitar playing.

a) Happy Fourth of July!

b) I want the recipe for the beans

c) I thought you were a Bourbon man, but Single Malt ain’t bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcane View Post
    b) I want the recipe for the beans.
    Easy enough.

One can (19.75 oz) of pork and beans -- Campbell's, Van Camp, etc.
    Three or four strips of cooked bacon, chopped into morsel-sized bits.
    One third cup of chopped Spanish onion, sauteed in bacon grease.
    One third cup of golden brown sugar.
    Two TBSP's of Heinz mustard.
    Two TBSP's of dark molasses.
    One TSPN of liquid hickory smoke flavoring.

Combine all ingredients in an oven-safe casserole dish, cover and bake at 335 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.

Bon appetit!

Easy enough.

Combine all ingredients in an oven-safe casserole dish, cover and bake at 335 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.

Bon appetit!

I really like molasses and mustard in baked beans. I mean cooked beans, here in Brazil we don’t usually bake them. Gotta try!

Not to mention the risk of fire if it's dry in your area. Otherwise, Happy Fourth!

Easy enough.

Bon appetit!
    mmm, sounds so good. I can already feel the need to avoid open flames and spark sources like power tools.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

When I heat up a can of baked beans, I generally dice up a jalapeno or serrano pepper and put it in with the beans for some good flavor.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

I recall being in Houston in the early 80's for a tech school with S&S. Every where you go there's plenty of jalapenos, but no green chile like here at home. The motel I was staying was close to a mall, and I walked around it for something to do, and found a restaurant with Mexican music on the juke box, and the help were speaking Spanish. I told some guys at the school from San Antonio that I was going there for supper, and they decided to try it too.
    I asked the waiter for a green chile enchilada, and he looked puzzled, so I repeated my order in Spanish, he told me they didn't have any "raw" chile! The other guys ordered, and I found rellenos on the menu, and ordered. What I got was some green peppers with something like "Wolf Brand" chilli in them. One of the guys told me, "once you leave San Antonio, you can't buy no Mexican food in Texas!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I recall being in Houston in the early 80's for a tech school with S&S. Every where you go there's plenty of jalapenos, but no green chile like here at home. The motel I was staying was close to a mall, and I walked around it for something to do, and found a restaurant with Mexican music on the juke box, and the help were speaking Spanish. I told some guys at the school from San Antonio that I was going there for supper, and they decided to try it too.
    I asked the waiter for a green chile enchilada, and he looked puzzled, so I repeated my order in Spanish, he told me they didn't have any "raw" chile! The other guys ordered, and I found rellenos on the menu, and ordered. What I got was some green peppers with something like "Wolf Brand" chilli in them. One of the guys told me, "once you leave San Antonio, you can't buy no Mexican food in Texas!"
    We do have some authentic Mexican places here in Houston, but also some poor imitations. I also went to one whose "chilies rellenos" were a stuffed bell pepper with some nasty sauce. When I lived in El Paso we picked up some authentic recipes and use them to this day. (My wife is from that area and went to college there). We make chilies rellenos with poblano peppers stuffed with cooked Italian sausage, mushrooms, onions and cheese, although occasionally I will use the Hatch peppers from New Mexico. They are a bit hotter than the Anaheim peppers due to growing conditions, although the Anaheim peppers came from Hatch seeds.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

I'm glad things have improved, Michael!
    Hatch is the well known name, but if I can, I go to Virden and buy chile, often pods close to a foot long, and with the same attributes as Hatch!

I was gifted with 3 pepper plants from a friend who is a pepper fiend. He described them as a hybrid mix of purple thai, carolina reaper, trinidad scorpion, jalapeno, crab grass, jimson weed and matanuska thunderfuck

it will be interesting to see what comes out, to say the least
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

It might be prudent for someone to stand by with a Class B (flammable gases) fire extinguisher. One fart after eating those peppers might blow the roof off your home.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I was gifted with 3 pepper plants from a friend who is a pepper fiend. He described them as a hybrid mix of purple thai, carolina reaper, trinidad scorpion, jalapeno, crab grass, jimson weed and matanuska thunderfuck

it will be interesting to see what comes out, to say the least

Now, I’d like to try that. I love hot peppers and those might provide a wonderful sauce.

Last time I went to a Thai restaurant the waiter asked me if I wanted my dinner plain or spicy. I told him I wanted it exactly as the Thai recipe was. He said I probably couldn’t stand it as Thai people ate their food with so much pepper that Westerners generally couldn’t eat it. I said I wanted to try it anyway. It was delicious and when he asked me if it wasn’t too hot I said “buddy, I’m from Northeastern Brazil. I’ll actually ask for some more pepper next time”. And I will.