Thread: The Sunday Thread For July 3

The Sunday Thread For July 3

There's an old joke: How many countries have a Fourth of July? Answer: All of them.

As far as I know though, only the U. S. A. celebrates it, given that it's the country's Independence Day.

Tomorrow I will going over to my daughter's since it's a holiday. Friday, I spent the day driving 88 miles across two states to purchase fireworks. I told my daughter I'd bring some and I wanted to go to the source. I came home with probably more than is necessary, but we'll likely shoot them off anyway.

Tuesday, I'll take much the same drive as I'm taking the whole week off, and I've decided to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. My eagerness was dampened a bit yesterday when I learned that the White House occupant is planning on visiting Cleveland on Wednesday. That will make a horrible hash of traffic, so I will do my best to avoid being anywhere near events that will create bottlenecks and stagecraft.

Today however, is Sunday as usual. After a night of thunderboomers, the rain has mostly moved out of the area, but it's supposed to be cloudy all day. Only one church service this morning, so I'll go, then I'll gas up my car, grab some lunch and settle in for my usual day of reading, watching baseball, playing my guitar and staying cool and dry.

Happy Sunday, and happy Fourth of July!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread For July 3

Happy 4th! Today is a yard day - first the lawn before it gets too hot. Then I need to pull my generator apart and see if I can figure out what is wrong with the electric starter. I can start it with the rope (not fun - it's a 16 HP engine, Natural Gas engine, so it doesn't turn over easily) but the electric start is dead- a new battery didn't fix it... there is probably a dead mouse or two up inside the electronics...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Playing guitar at church today. Then it’s watch the British GP F1 and prep a pork butt for tomorrow’s smoke.
    Mark

We’re out the door for breakfast in a few minutes and a relaxing day.

Tomorrow I’m playing an outdoor 4th of July gig with a friend’s band and this coming Saturday we’re playing the 2nd annual Bryan Lee Blues Fest. A lot of activity for an old dude like me.

Hope all have a great week!

a pretty dang nice chamber of commerce type of weekend, Friday kicked off July with hot but not excessively so. Today and tomorrow are both mid-80s and sunny. Sunscreen type of day and I have an invite to a gathering outside, and I have zero sunscreen. I very seldom wear it, as I tend to cover up or just avoid being outside during the height of the sun. I'll turn red as a lobster if I go out in tee shirt and shorts.

got some marinated chicken I bought that needs to be cooked, it's been frozen and thawed once already. I should get going on that. People must have gone away this weekend as it was oddly quiet last night. One guy with Roman candles a street over was the only thing I heard.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Then it’s watch the British GP F1 and prep a pork butt for tomorrow’s smoke.
    That was a heck of a race! I was on my feet watching! I smoked some ribs on Saturday, spent time with friends on Sunday. We'll spend time with family today (the 4th), and god see my wife's dearest friend in New Hampshire during the week. She's 63 and has Alzheimer's. It claimed the life of her mother and is affecting her brothers, aunts, uncles and cousins.

I also just learned of the passing of one of my sport scar and racing heroes, Alain de Cadenet. I've always said that I wanted to be him when I grew up.

Oops! Duplicate post!
    Last edited by Don; 07-04-2022 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    That was a heck of a race! I was on my feet watching! I smoked some ribs on Saturday, spent time with friends on Sunday. We'll spend time with family today (the 4th), and god see my wife's dearest friend in New Hampshire during the week. She's 63 and has Alzheimer's. It claimed the life of her mother and is affecting her brothers, aunts, uncles and cousins.

I also just learned of the passing of one of my sport scar and racing heroes, Alain de Cadenet. I've always said that I wanted to be him when I grew up.

I really like Pérez’s style. And he’s making his way to the podium most of the times.