Thread: I need to know the price of a Jazz Bass USA V Olympic White due to a car accident.

Forum Member

I need to know the price of a Jazz Bass USA V Olympic White due to a car accident.

Hello, two days ago my wife had an accident with her vehicle (a lorry hit her from behind) and she is fine.
    The thing is that my instruments were in the boot, among them the red Musicman 30th anniversary 4-string Musicman. And a Fender Jazz bass V Olimpyc white.
    I haven't seen the instruments yet, as the vehicle is at the police station and they have not yet brought it from Madrid to the place where I live (Cadiz, Spain).
    I am investigating the different scenarios that may arise. One, that the instrument is "repairable" (we know it will never be the same, but let's say it can be "repaired". This I can check with a luthier, asking him for an estimate of the repair.
    In the second case, that the instruments are destroyed. I have written to both Fender and Musicman to get a price quote according to the serial number. I understand that this is possible, and I would need it for a possible lawsuit against the company.
    Do you know if I can get the value of the instrument from the serial number?

thanks

Re: I need to know the price of a Jazz Bass USA V Olympic White due to a car accident

Welcome to The Fender Forum, @damianlluch. So sorry to hear about the accident. Blessing that the most important thing is that your wife is OK.

I don't think you can find the value of the guitar by its serial number alone. It should tell you when the guitar was made, and perhaps the model designation, but value also depends on modifications, wear, and overall condition of the instrument. I think the best you can do is find a value range, by checking online sellers, such a Reverb, eBay and others (I don't know what you might have in Spain). At the very least, you should be able to obtain the original retail price of the instrument when it was brand new. That might give you a starting point on valuation. Good luck!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: I need to know the price of a Jazz Bass USA V Olympic White due to a car accident

Quote Originally Posted by damianlluch View Post
    Hello, two days ago my wife had an accident with her vehicle (a lorry hit her from behind) and she is fine.
    The thing is that my instruments were in the boot, among them the red Musicman 30th anniversary 4-string Musicman. And a Fender Jazz bass V Olimpyc white.
    I haven't seen the instruments yet, as the vehicle is at the police station and they have not yet brought it from Madrid to the place where I live (Cadiz, Spain).
    I am investigating the different scenarios that may arise. One, that the instrument is "repairable" (we know it will never be the same, but let's say it can be "repaired". This I can check with a luthier, asking him for an estimate of the repair.
    In the second case, that the instruments are destroyed. I have written to both Fender and Musicman to get a price quote according to the serial number. I understand that this is possible, and I would need it for a possible lawsuit against the company.
    Do you know if I can get the value of the instrument from the serial number?

thanks
    Welcome to the Fender Forum.
    For the value of your instruments you can do a search of what is the current selling price of similar instruments. For your Musicman I find them running in the $1400-$2000 US range, but I’m not sure of the age of your Fender. Myself, I would want to keep my instruments and have insurance pay to return them to playable status. My basses are like “old friends” who have been with me for many years and I know every nuance of their personalities so it would almost be like losing a child.

You should be able to look up the serial number of the Fender on their website, to find out the year and place made, as well as the specific model number. From there you can look up Fender original price lists online to find out what it retailed for when it was new (unless it is very old, then the price lists are missing online for some years). But as others have suggested use online marketplaces like Reverb, E-bay and Facebook Marketplace to see what your specific models are selling for recently.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top