Thread: The Sunday Thread for June 26, 2022

The Sunday Thread for June 26, 2022

I was going to title today's Sunday thread the "Summer Sunday thread," but out of respect for Sugarcane, who lives in the southern hemisphere, I chose not to. But for many of us, the Summer Solstice occurred this past week, marking the longest day of the year. Now the days will begin to get shorter, we'll have BBQ weather, beach time, mosquitos and scantily-clad women (!) for a while.

For me, the day will be much like any other Sunday, a trip to church, a stop at the store, lunch at my favorite joint, and baseball on TV and a guitar in my lap. Of course, the guitar you've all seen by now, and I can't stop admiring how perfectly it suits me. My GAS has certainly gone into remission. However, I'm eyeing a new practice amp, the
    Positive Grid Spark. I'm not sure why. The Line6 AMPLIFi 30 I have works just fine, except it's now a discontinued model. So, I'm not in any hurry to replace it. But if a good deal on a Spark shows up...

Here's hoping everyone has a super Sunday!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread for June 26, 2022

I spent all week at a conference of folks who do my job from around the country. This year we met in Boston. Saw a Red Sox game Wednesday night and had great training sessions all week. I've attended these conferences since 1994 and have meet some lifetime friends and colleagues. Friday evening I got a scare though and noticed giant floaters in my right eye - lots of them. At my age I am afraid of things like macular degeneration or detached retina, so, instead of spending the day recovering from an intense week, I'm off to an eye doctor this morning. Wish my luck!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Well it’s church, then back home to work on the pellet smoker. Got the parts in that should fix it. Then learn a couple songs for weekend which will be perfect as it’s suppose to rain this afternoon (we need it).
    Mark

Howdy, everyone!

It's winter here, but luckily it doesn't mean very low temperatures in the tropics. Actually we're having a pretty nice day.

I'm finally feeling a bit better after some real tough weeks dealing with what COVID left behind as residual effects... This damned thing really has a way to affect some people.

Anyway, since our drummer has been busy and *as it seems* unwilling to practice regularly, me, the singer and the bassist will be doing some sessions with another guy, starting next Thursday. Nothing to do with the band, a whole different set list. This is making me feel relieved, as I miss playing with bands a lot.

Lazy Sunday, I will pick up a strat and do some woodshedding for about an hour, then spend the rest of the day with my wife and the Kindle. My usual Sunday evening six-pack of beers in the evening...

a blazing summer sunday here, hit 90 by noon, we're finally getting the heat. Last week I was practically ready to turn the heat on it was so cool. Actually I'm wearing my denim shirt because the a/c is cranking and I'm slightly chilly (I'm not the biggest fan of a/c) but if we don't run it, then it will be a sauna in here. I'm fine with it being north of 75 degrees but my brother insists on wearing two shirts all the time, even when not working, and he's heavier than he ought to be so he heats up and sweats easily. I just go with a short sleeve tee shirt and shorts when it's warm.

sartorial and thermal predilections aside, I'll be doing some grilling and chilling. Still having issues with my left wrist, trying to think back to when it began to really become an hinderance to not just playing but everyday stuff. I'm hoping that a new pair of glasses will help to alleviate the constant leaning on that elbow to push up my glasses to read the computer screen. My playing time is seriously down these days. I haven't practiced an actual song in so long. It isn't so much that it hurts while playing, it's afterwards when I just can't find a comfortable position for it.

GJ - good luck with the eye appointment. Surprised that you can see (uh, no pun intended) an eye doctor on a Sunday.

Anybody heard from ch willy? He had covid and was also supposed to have surgery in the near future.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

It has been an exceptional week for me with running into old friends I haven’t seen for as much as twenty years. It makes ya feel good when someone is as happy to see you as you are to see them…you know that you’ve been a positive firce in their life.

A fun event we were in was the annual Cool City cruise that is part of a car show put on locally each year in June. I was told there was somewhere around 900 cars (I thought it was closer to may e 600) so it was quite a local happening. You’ll see our red C8 Corvette around the 1 minute 13 second point in this video.

Hope all have a great week.

The local Lenscrafters has a resident Optometrist, so I figured I'd start with her and see where it went. They have all the retinal testing equipment to at least tell me if I needed an Ophthalmologist. She told me I have Posterior Vitreous Detachment which is less serious and a "normal" condition with age. Other than the nuisance of the floaters it shouldn't have any other repercussions.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

vitreous detachment, while nothing to sneeze at, is indeed less serious than a retinal detachment. I've been living with floaters so long, I barely notice them unless one slides right into the focal point when I'm trying to read something really small.

Interestingly enough, I think my right eye had more but that may have been due to a more complete retina than my left eye, which had a giant retinal tear back in 1992. Surgery saved my sight in that eye although I lost quite a bit of the visual field. Combine that with a distance cataract implant, and I have serious tunnel vision up close due to the loss of the right eye, which had the near field cataract implant.

No more surgery for me. What I got will have to last me until the end.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"