Thread: Quiet Mixer for home studio

Forum Member

Quiet Mixer for home studio

I wonder if anyone knows of a very silent mixer for a home studio? I hooked up our gig mixer a Mackie ProFXP16v2 and it has an annoying hiss. The problem is not the cables or electrical source. The darn thing is just noisy. The hiss gets louder as the master is raised. It completely goes away when the volume is 'zeroed out' so we just use it on stage where the hiss is not noticeable. I would like to obtain a really quiet mixer for home use. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Quiet Mixer for home studio

Is the Mackie mixer still noisy if you bypass the effects? We would need to know more about your recording setup to offer any meaningful suggestions.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    Is the Mackie mixer still noisy if you bypass the effects? We would need to know more about your recording setup to offer any meaningful suggestions.
    Yes, bypass does not help. In fact, it hisses even if nothing is plugged into it other than the PA. The PA is a Bose L1 and it is crystal clear. I can plug a mic and guitar into the Bose with absolutely no hiss. I am using a Mogami Gold cable from the mixer to the Bose. I have been told the Mackie makes noise but had no idea it was this bad. But as I mentioned above, the hiss is no problem in a noisy bar. I just thought we could also use it in our home studio and run guitars, mics and a piano through it. I am not using it to record. Thank you for your response, Michael! Any help is appreciated.

I use a Soundcraft EFX12 that is really quiet. There are lots of things that can cause noise however, so I'd check out cables and peripherals before investing in a new mixer. Of course Ireread it and you said it wwaas noisy without anything connected. Have you tried plugging it into different power plug in another part of the house?
    Last edited by gibsonjunkie; 07-19-2022 at 03:58 AM.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I use a Soundcraft EFX12 that is really quiet. There are lots of things that can cause noise however, so I'd check out cables and peripherals before investing in a new mixer. Of course Ireread it and you said it wwaas noisy without anything connected. Have you tried plugging it into different power plug in another part of the house?
    Yeah, we tried it in different outlet locations making sure the outlets were on different circuits and it still hisses. I double checked to make sure the power plug to the mixer is completely inserted too. I am aware of properly running cables etc. and the hiss does not change or get louder when cables and peripherals are connected. They don't affect this problem at all. So, it is not the cables in this case. The mixer is noisy even if nothing is plugged into it. The only time the hiss completely goes away is when I turn down the master to zero. The hiss gets louder as I increase the volume control. I read that some of the Mackie mixers are noisy. I was hoping to get dual use (gigs and home) out of this one but I guess not. Sure do thank you for your input, Gibsonjunkie and Michael Smith. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Last edited by surfinbird; 07-19-2022 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Additional information