Thread: Best Method for Securing Speakers to Baffle Boards?

Best Method for Securing Speakers to Baffle Boards?

To secure my four 10 inch alnico speakers to the baffle board I built. I purchased 1/4 inch bolts, along with washers, lock washers and nuts. When I tightened the nuts enough to compress the lock washers, I was getting what I think was voice coil rub when playing notes on the low E string. I didn't over torque the nuts, but apparently it was enough to deform the speaker baskets. Fortunately, when I backed off the nuts the voice coil rub is gone, so I haven't damaged the speakers. Right now the nuts are just finger tight, so the lock washers aren't doing anything, but over time I don't think finger tight will be enough.

I have thought about using NYLOCK nuts and doing away with the lock washers. Would a 1/4 turn with a wrench or socket just past finger tight be sufficient? Hopefully someone has some experience in this area that will help me avoid damaging some fairly expensive speakers.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Best Method for Securing Speakers to Baffle Boards?

I use Fender's standard speaker studs (mounted from the front of the baffle board) with kep nuts to hold the speakers fast at the rear. Eight studs per speaker, with the retaining nuts a quarter turn past finger tight, snugged down in a staggered pattern to prevent basket deformation. Never had a problem.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I use Fender's standard speaker studs (mounted from the front of the baffle board) with kep nuts to hold the speakers fast at the rear. Eight studs per speaker, with the retaining nuts a quarter turn past finger tight, snugged down in a staggered pattern to prevent basket deformation. Never had a problem.
    I'm pretty much stuck with the 1/4 inch bolts (actually screws with a phillip's head), unless I want to remove the grill cloth that I had a hard time getting aligned in the first place. They are counter sunk into the front of the baffle board and don't turn when tightening the nuts. I may try keps nuts, because I don't know if you can even finger tighten the NYLOCK nuts
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Having a hard time envisioning what you put forth, but how about regular nuts to attach , then doubled nutted with nylock nuts. The persistent cause of over tensioning nuts is out of fear they may come loose. Tighten the regular nuts a needed, then use the lockers to keep them from backing off
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Having a hard time envisioning what you put forth, but how about regular nuts to attach , then doubled nutted with nylock nuts. The persistent cause of over tensioning nuts is out of fear they may come loose. Tighten the regular nuts a needed, then use the lockers to keep them from backing off
    That's not a bad idea!

Forum Member

It's only necessary to tighten nuts as much as possible with a screwdriver type driver. The speaker gasket generally tensions the fasteners enough to keep the nuts from coming loose. Keps nuts are great, but I've used socket head screws with star washers into tee nuts also.

TFF Stage Crew

I just use T nuts. I also apply a small amount of epoxy when I put them into the baffle, being careful to avoid getting any on the threads. It seems to help keep them from spinning & scoring the baffle