Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Early 70's strat pickups

  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    18

    Early 70's strat pickups

    Was there a difference in stratocaster pickups (Neck, middle, bridge) in the early 70's? Specifically 1973? I am looking to put mine back to 100% original, as it had the bridge pickup replace in the late 70's with a Dimarzio.

  2. #2
    Forum Member phantomman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona
    Posts
    6,843

    Re: Early 70's strat pickups

    I'm pretty sure they were all the same back then.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

  3. #3
    Forum Member Michael Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    551

    Re: Early 70's strat pickups

    If you have a digital multimeter, measure the resistance (in Ohms) of the 2 pickups that are original. If they are close in value, try to buy a replacement pickup with the same value. On my 1990's American Strat, all 3 pickups measure right around 6K Ohms.

    Edit: on Fender's website, they show the DC resistance for their various pickups under "specs", but I don't know if you can buy a single pickup there. Someone else may know.
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 06-14-2022 at 04:35 PM. Reason: New info
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

  4. #4
    Forum Member phantomman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona
    Posts
    6,843

    Re: Early 70's strat pickups

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    If you have a digital multimeter, measure the resistance (in Ohms) of the 2 pickups that are original. If they are close in value, try to buy a replacement pickup with the same value. On my 1990's American Strat, all 3 pickups measure right around 6K Ohms.
    +1

    That's how I'd do it.

    Trickier will be finding a used pickup cover featuring the same degree of aging as the two remaining originals.

    You may find something useful on Ebay.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

  5. #5
    Forum Member DanTheBluesMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    4,603

    Re: Early 70's strat pickups

    Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    +1

    That's how I'd do it.

    Trickier will be finding a used pickup cover featuring the same degree of aging as the two remaining originals.

    You may find something useful on Ebay.
    keep the original 2 covers and buy an aged set of 3.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

  6. #6
    Forum Member phantomman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona
    Posts
    6,843

    Re: Early 70's strat pickups

    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    keep the original 2 covers and buy an aged set of 3.
    An eminently logical option.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •