Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help / Opinions - Purchased a used 65 DRRI (pics included)

Forum Member

Help / Opinions - Purchased a used 65 DRRI (pics included)

Hi All,

Yesterday, I bought a used '65 DRRI ltd (the wine red one). It sounded good to my ear and everything seemed to function perfectly. But, I noticed a few things and before I with my zero electronics experience (except a few pedal builds) cracks the thing open, I thought I would ask you fine people if you had any initial thoughts.

The used music store advertised it as a "Modified" '64 DRRI ('64?), but other than the Mercury output transformer, which is obvious (at least according to the stickers haha), they could not communicate what exactly had been modified other than to suggest that they think it was capacitors - may be filter cap upgrade? From the looks of it, it is obviously one of the Sweetwater ltd wine red/ wheat grill, late model RI '65 DR's, so I am unsure where they are getting '64 from.

The tube/circuit sticker looks very new, and I see the corner of another sticker underneath it, and neither the tube/circuit sticker nor the CA compliance sticker below it have writing on them.

The chassis straps on the top of the amp look like they have been changed, as evidenced by the uncovered holes where it appears the straps were once longer. This concerned me that there is a different than stock chassis in this thing, or that for some reason the chassis was re-mounted slightly adjacent from its original location.

I have been wanting one of these for the longest time to pair with my Electromatic and as mentioned this one sounded good and everything works - in the end, I guess it's what matters.

I guess my concerns are that this is fake (doubt it, and the price was right so even for a kit build, I'd still be content), a franken-amp, or that the guts were removed and replaced with something not original/ inferior.

I also noticed where the 2-letter date code goes (or so I thought), it just has a handwritten "6". I know this is a late model RI as I have seen them on Sweetwater, but I was looking to find what year it was made, no idea how to tell. Anyone know?

Cool forum, glad to be reading everyone's posts and I look forward to any thoughts if anyone wants to donate 2 cents.

Thanks!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Help / Opinions - Purchased a used 65 DRRI (pics included)

It looks like the chassis has been slid rearward and remounted in order to provide clearance for the speaker's magnet cover. All else seems to be authentic.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Thank you. I hadn't thought of that, but now that I look at it maybe also to fit the transformer.

Thanks again!

From your first picture, I think Phantomman is right. The lower edge of the front control panel should be flush with the top of the speaker baffle board, but yours looks like it's set back about the width of the baffle board. I guess the replacement Mercury transformer is physically larger than the one that came with it, and it wouldn't clear the speaker. When you take the chassis out of the cabinet, I bet you will see 3 screw holes in the underside of the cabinet top that are inset 1/2 inch or so from where the current screws are located. There should be a serial number somewhere on the chassis that will allow you to look it up on Fender's website to see when it was built.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

I didn't even notice that, but that makes sense... as you pointed out the faceplate is recessed from the baffle. I guess I haven't had my eyes on enough of them to catch that. When I open it up I'll look for that number and for the screw holes. I hope to find that someone upgraded the caps or something too. Thanks again phantomman and Michael!

You can also look at the EIA code on the output transformer to get an idea of the build date. If you can get a good photo of it, post it here and someone will be able to help date it. It's a shame someone moved the chassis location, but if the amp sounds good, that's the most important thing. I have an original 1977 Deluxe Reverb, that I recently replaced all of the electrolytic capacitors, and put in a different speaker. You can see the old filter caps in a bag in the bottom of the amp in my last pic. Not that this is a particularly vintage amp but some day it may be.

"When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

I'd call a 45-Y/O Fender amp "vintage".

Here's my modified '77 Deluxe Reverb, shown with a stock example from 1968......

I had to slightly relocate the O/T to provide clearance for the 15-inch JBL speaker.

That is a sweet looking pair of Deluxe Reverbs! I can see why you had to move the output transformer. Even on my stock amp, the output transformer is almost touching the 12" speaker basket.

What I did is build a trapezoid-shaped adapter from 3/16" extruded aluminum that used the same original holes as the tranny with a couple of stand-offs to provide clearance for the mounting hardware. Thankfully the tranny's original leads were long enough that I didn't even have to unsolder anything. The mod is totally reversible.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    What I did is build a trapezoid-shaped adapter from 3/16" extruded aluminum that used the same original holes as the tranny with a couple of stand-offs to provide clearance for the mounting hardware. Thankfully the tranny's original leads were long enough that I didn't even have to unsolder anything. The mod is totally reversible.
    Very clever solution. Were you able to cut the aluminum with a saber saw?

I used a conventional hacksaw. The corners were radiused with files, then I sanded and polished the piece to remove all tooling marks.

Forum Member

Looks good, (and good thinking!)

I've had guys familiar with Fender amps look at it and most of them never even noticed the mod. It's pretty unobtrusive.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I've had guys familiar with Fender amps look at it and most of them never even noticed the mod. It's pretty unobtrusive.
    What was the purpose behind putting a 15" speaker with a Deluxe Reverb? More low end? Greater volume? Or just because? I know over the years Fender did offer a 15" speaker option with some of their amps.

Volume and punch.

Forum Member

Thanks again Michael and phantomman. I'll look for those numbers. And good thinking on reorienting the transformer. I wish whomever modded mine had done that instead of remounting the chassis. Hoping when I cracked it open nothing is crammed in or stressed mechanical or electrical parts. I almost bought a mid/late 70s DR at another local shop. I believe it was about 77, did not have the pull boost so that would make it a pre early 78? I think that's when they started that? Anyhow it was about $600 more than the sale price on this one, in hindsight, might have been the way to go with the way prices are looking these days, and with the way time passing has an effect on things. I love the 15" speaker idea. I saw that on a RI gretsch executive which I think is a Victoria, DR style circuit? In any case... someday!

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfPyro View Post
    Thanks again Michael and phantomman. I'll look for those numbers. And good thinking on reorienting the transformer. I wish whomever modded mine had done that instead of remounting the chassis. Hoping when I cracked it open nothing is crammed in or stressed mechanical or electrical parts. I almost bought a mid/late 70s DR at another local shop. I believe it was about 77, did not have the pull boost so that would make it a pre early 78? I think that's when they started that? Anyhow it was about $600 more than the sale price on this one, in hindsight, might have been the way to go with the way prices are looking these days, and with the way time passing has an effect on things. I love the 15" speaker idea. I saw that on a RI gretsch executive which I think is a Victoria, DR style circuit? In any case... someday!
    I would like to see photos of the inside of your amp's chassis when you get to it. The beauty of the early Fender Amps is that they are fairly easy to replace parts, even for a non-tech like me. I've done cap replacements on a 1968 Bassman, 1969 Super Reverb, 1977 Deluxe Reverb and 1979 Vibro Champ.

Forum Member

I will definitely post some pictures once i open it up. It might be this weekend when work isn't dominating my time. Yeah... I'm going to be wondering for a while if I should have bought the 70s dr instead of this reissue for those at very reasons. I'm hoping to at least find some cap replacements or something interesting inside mine, but we will see.

The pull-boost on late '70s Deluxe Reverbs does not affect the amp's fundamental tone if it is not used. My '77 has that feature and I've never given it a second thought. The re-issue amps sound pretty close to the originals (I have one of them as well) with the right speaker. The major difference between the two IMO is that the turret-board construction makes the originals easier to service.

Forum Member

Good to know, thanks. Have any favorite speakers for the 65 reissue? The p12q sounds good to me, and I've read some about it but other than that at some point I'll have to buy and try to figure which I like. I did have a couple questions. I've never pulled a chassis, I'm sure I can physically remove it, but as far as safety goes, anything I should not do, or that I should be aware of? Also, when I am done playing, even after turning down the amp volume when I flip the standby switch off, there's a pop sound, similar to shutting off a running amp with a guitar plugged in and the volume on. My ac30 reissue doesn't do this, am I doing something wrong, does it sound like there's a problem, or is this normal for these amps? Thanks again!

Good to know, thanks. Have any favorite speakers for the 65 reissue? The p12q sounds good to me, and I've read some about it but other than that at some point I'll have to buy and try to figure which I like. I did have a couple questions. I've never pulled a chassis, I'm sure I can physically remove it, but as far as safety goes, anything I should not do, or that I should be aware of? Also, when I am done playing, even after turning down the amp volume when I flip the standby switch off, there's a pop sound, similar to shutting off a running amp with a guitar plugged in and the volume on. My ac30 reissue doesn't do this, am I doing something wrong, does it sound like there's a problem, or is this normal for these amps? Thanks again!
    When you are ready to remove the chassis, turn the amp on one of it's sides, so the chassis is vertical. That way you won't have to try to hold it from falling when removing the screws. Sometimes the chassis gets caught on the metal shielding on the underside of the top of the amp. You can insert a flat putty knife or thin piece of plastic to try to prevent this. If the shielding does get torn up, you can staple it back down.

As far as discharging the filter capacitors for safety, when you are done playing the amp, turn the power switch off, but leave the standby switch ON and continue to play. You will hear sound for a few seconds while the caps discharge. If you have a digital multimeter, once you remove the "doghouse" cover where the filter caps are, you can attach a lead to each end of the caps to confirm there is not much voltage. Anything under 10 volts is safe.

On tube rectified amps like the Deluxe Reverb, it is not even necessary to ever use the standby switch. There is no surge to the reservoir caps because the rectifier tube warms up slowly, and the current builds slowly. This is different from diode rectified amps like the Twin and the Bassman, where you do want to use the standby switch.

The first photo shows damaged shielding on my Deluxe Reverb. The second photo shows the doghouse cover on the left of the photo. It's the metal rectangular box covering the reservoir and filter caps. (This picture is of a Fender Bassman, but the Deluxe Reverb will have a similar doghouse cover).

My first choice for a Deluxe Reverb speaker will always remain the JBL D120F with second runner-up being a vintage (made in Chicago) Jensen.

Forum Member

Thank you, Michael for all the info on removing the chassis, some great tips that I especially appreciate being new to this.

I went digging through boxes to find my multimeters, and it's been so long they've all died. Bad news is I get to pay for a new one, good news I found all my electronic components - some old germanium transistors, 30 year old sovtek preamp tubes with $7.99 price tags (praying for those days again) and some alpha pots.

I tested out using the power switch only, I'm going to skip the standby from now on. The power switch didn't cause that popping noise so it's less cringeworthy any way. I did notice the sound decrease over a second or so, thanks for letting me know about that too. Have you ever used one of those discharge sticks or snuffers I think they're called at stewmac? Once the filter and reservoir caps are discharged and reading less than 10v is it safe to go poking around without any safety concerns? I mean other than carelessly damaging something.

I've seen pictures and videos of the capacitors under I'm guessing the doghouse cover you mentioned, I'm looking forward to taking a peak under there.

Thanks for letting me know about the shielding, I'll take care when it gets to that point to avoid that if possible.

Thanks phantomman, that speaker model looks great, I am sure worth every penny, a bit out of my price range if I'm searching the right thing online. Any types of speakers, certain magnet types or other specs I might look for in a new production speaker under $200 maybe? I'd think like a speaker that keeps clean with volume, maybe tighten or clarify the lows without being too boomy or punchy, but that won't lose the sparkle/treble. I'm a fledgling travis/ hybrid picker and would like some more snap to my muted bass strings to accentuate the slapback echo - I've tried 8 or 10 types of picks, tweaked eq and tone knobs on my guitar, but can't get that sound yet with this amp without it sounding a bit muffled/warm/soft or something like that. I'll keep fussing with it though.

Random, left field request - anyone know an amp tech in the Denver area, or how I might go about finding someone if/when I need service or repair, or decide on some more complicated upgrades?

Thanks again!

Once the filter and reservoir caps are discharged and reading less than 10v is it safe to go poking around without any safety concerns? I mean other than carelessly damaging something.
    Be sure that the amp is unplugged and remove all jewelry before proceeding.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfPyro, 657530
    I'd think like a speaker that keeps clean with volume, maybe tighten or clarify the lows without being too boomy or punchy, but that won't lose the sparkle/treble. I'm a fledgling travis/ hybrid picker and would like some more snap to my muted bass strings to accentuate the slapback echo - I've tried 8 or 10 types of picks, tweaked eq and tone knobs on my guitar, but can't get that sound yet with this amp without it sounding a bit muffled/warm/soft or something like that.
    You need the JBL!

Forum Member

Dang it! Haha I probably do need the jbl... but 2 or 3 times my budget, might take some time to swallow that pill.

The prize is worth your patience.

Forum Member

https://www.mlapedals.com/speakers or better to go with a original condition vintage? I'm probably a ways off from a speaker purchase.

I favor vintage/original whenever possible.

Thank you, Michael for all the info on removing the chassis, some great tips that I especially appreciate being new to this.

I went digging through boxes to find my multimeters, and it's been so long they've all died. Bad news is I get to pay for a new one, good news I found all my electronic components - some old germanium transistors, 30 year old sovtek preamp tubes with $7.99 price tags (praying for those days again) and some alpha pots.

I tested out using the power switch only, I'm going to skip the standby from now on. The power switch didn't cause that popping noise so it's less cringeworthy any way. I did notice the sound decrease over a second or so, thanks for letting me know about that too. Have you ever used one of those discharge sticks or snuffers I think they're called at stewmac? Once the filter and reservoir caps are discharged and reading less than 10v is it safe to go poking around without any safety concerns? I mean other than carelessly damaging something.

I've seen pictures and videos of the capacitors under I'm guessing the doghouse cover you mentioned, I'm looking forward to taking a peak under there.

Thanks for letting me know about the shielding, I'll take care when it gets to that point to avoid that if possible.

Thanks phantomman, that speaker model looks great, I am sure worth every penny, a bit out of my price range if I'm searching the right thing online. Any types of speakers, certain magnet types or other specs I might look for in a new production speaker under $200 maybe? I'd think like a speaker that keeps clean with volume, maybe tighten or clarify the lows without being too boomy or punchy, but that won't lose the sparkle/treble. I'm a fledgling travis/ hybrid picker and would like some more snap to my muted bass strings to accentuate the slapback echo - I've tried 8 or 10 types of picks, tweaked eq and tone knobs on my guitar, but can't get that sound yet with this amp without it sounding a bit muffled/warm/soft or something like that. I'll keep fussing with it though.

Random, left field request - anyone know an amp tech in the Denver area, or how I might go about finding someone if/when I need service or repair, or decide on some more complicated upgrades?

Thanks again!
    I've not used the capacitor discharge sticks (which are really just a large resistor). As for your multimeters being dead, are you sure it's not just the 9V battery that has died? I've used the same inexpensive multi meter for 25+ years and have only had to change the battery a few times (plus the internal fuse, due to user error on my part). Once you can find the approximate date the amp was built, it will be helpful in determining whether it's time to change the bias cap and cathode bypass caps. They generally have a lifespan of 15 to 20 years, whether the device was in use or not. I recently bought a 50 year old amp (Fender Super Reverb) with all original components, and everything was working fine, but as a precaution, I changed the reservoir caps, filter caps, cathode bypass caps and bias cap, along with the bias resistor, doghouse resistors and a few others that had drifted out of spec.

If you do replace any capacitors, be sure to observe the polarity. Take photos of the old ones before removing, or draw a diagram. On the deluxe reverb, all of the doghouse caps are installed in the same direction, with the negative lead to ground. This is not the case on some other Fender amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    If you do replace any capacitors, be sure to observe the polarity. Take photos of the old ones before removing, or draw a diagram. On the deluxe reverb, all of the doghouse caps are installed in the same direction, with the negative lead to ground. This is not the case on some other Fender amps.
    +1

Note that the bias-supply cap must be installed backwards, with the positive lead tied to ground.

Forum Member

I'll probably do quite a bit of reading before doing any real work myself and I appreciate the heads up on the cap lifespan, polarity (bias supply, I might have missed that - thanks!) and which ones to address if needed. I'm thinking it's a fairly recent model, but the wine red edition has only been on my radar for a couple years so I have no idea when they started offering them. The multimeters I still have, replaced batteries a few times, I didn't try switching out the fuses, which may be the culprits, might try that next. I can't wait to get it open this weekend, hoping for a pleasant surprise or two, but it would be nice to take a peak regardless. I'll post some pictures. And if I haven't already, I'm sure I'll annoy with many more questions.

Someday I'll have one of those 70's deluxes and a vintage super, I hope. I'm so happy with the sound versus my ac30 reissue, which is great, but just nothing like the fender.

IMO the AC30 is a one-trick pony but it's a nice trick (Beatles, T. Petty, Stones, etc). I just wouldn't have one as my only amp though. Fenders are just more versatile.

Forum Member

IMO the AC30 is a one-trick pony but it's a nice trick (Beatles, T. Petty, Stones, etc). I just wouldn't have one as my only amp though. Fenders are just more versatile.
    I definitely agree, every time I play through it, it reminds me of all that, especially Tom Petty. But even in less than a week of owning my first fender, I'm wise to this and wish I'd have bought one years ago instead of the vox. Better late than never.

@sonofpyro. If you want to see an explantion for the popping noise you sometimes hear when taking the amp out of standby. start watching at about 9:45 in a YouTube video titled "Victoria Clone of a Fender Tweed 5F4 Super Amp" on Uncle Doug's YT channel. I don't know if we are allowed to post links to YT in the forum, so I didn't do that. He just posted the video today and I was watching it and remembered your post about the popping noise.
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 06-16-2022 at 11:50 AM.

There is a way to include YouTube (but probably ONLY YouTube) videos on the site. I think this is the one Michael referred to:

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

That's the video OldStrummer. Sometimes at the bottom of my screen it says "you may not post attachments" and sometimes it says "you may post attachments".

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    That's the video OldStrummer. Sometimes at the bottom of my screen it says "you may not post attachments" and sometimes it says "you may post attachments".

It may depend on the device you're using. On my laptop, there are three rows of button on top of the editing area. On the second row there is a set of buttons that enable one to link or unlink text to a site, add an external image, or embed a YouTube video.

I long ago gave up trying to upload images and so I use the free PostImages site (where I uploaded the image above). Uploading options are frought with error and frustration. I'd rather just spend a couple of mouse clicks to use a hosting site.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Thanks Michael and Oldstrummer. I've watched a couple from his channel, but haven't seen this one - I'll check it out this evening and probably address if needed this weekend, if it's within my comfort level.

Shocked to learn I can't find a decent electronics components retailer in my area. I'm used to Frys and a lot of mom and pops but colorado is a dead zone. What I wouldn't give to resurrect a radio shack even. I have some parts, but I miss walking through aisles and buying more components than I need. I think micro center has a few things, but looks like waiting for online order delivery is on the menu.

I went with a hosting site too, could not get the imbed picture button to work on the first post so I went the route I remebered I used to take years ago.

Amplified Parts is a decent online source for parts. I have bought several cap sets from them. I am lucky to have a local store with lots of electronic parts available. Electronic Parts Outlet in Houston.

Forum Member

Thanks, I'll check that site out.