Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help / Opinions - Purchased a used 65 DRRI (pics included)

Re: Help / Opinions - Purchased a used 65 DRRI (pics included)

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

It may depend on the device you're using. On my laptop, there are three rows of button on top of the editing area. On the second row there is a set of buttons that enable one to link or unlink text to a site, add an external image, or embed a YouTube video.

I long ago gave up trying to upload images and so I use the free PostImages site (where I uploaded the image above). Uploading options are frought with error and frustration. I'd rather just spend a couple of mouse clicks to use a hosting site.
    I see the symbols when I go into edit one of my posts, but only the second to last row. It's odd that they only show up when you are editing a previous post. At any rate, I also prefer to use an image hosting site. I use Imgur since that's what I'm familiar with from posting to other tech forums. The next time there is an opportunity, I will try to link to a YT video.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

I'm opening up my amp today. I played through it for 30 or so minutes, then switched the power off (leaving standby on) and listened to the volume die. I unplugged it and while waiting for it to cool down a bit I removed the top backing piece (apologies for my lack of vocabulary). I disconnected the reverb tank, and speaker, and unscrewed the little plastic power cord retainer on this inside of the cabinet. When it cools off in a few, I'll be placing it on its side (thanks again Michael), and unscrewing the three screws above the back panel jacks on that lip that fastens it to the top of cabinet, and then unscrewing the screws at the chassis straps on top to remove the chassis from the cabinet.

I have a question if I may ask. The bottom side of the chassis with all the tubes, transformers, wires, etc. sticking out, can I just grab on to all that to support the chassis as I physically remove it from the cabinet? If the chassis sticks to the covering or shielding or anything like that as Michael and phantomman mentioned, I just want to be careful I'm not grabbing something I shouldn't as I work to get the chassis out of the cabinet. I can be cautious to try not to physically damage something by being too rough with it, but I'm more concerned with getting zapped - Never opened up an amp or removed a chassis before, so I am just being cautious. I've only worked with lower voltage stomp boxes.

I know enough not to go sticking fingers or metal tools and probing around all the components on the interior of the chassis, just curious about the underside.

I will be checking the voltages of the capacitors under the doghouse covers, more out of curiosity than anything, I still don't think I have any reason to go probing around in there at this time - I am basically going to look around, take some pictures, post them here, etc.

To measure capacitor voltage, I clip the common wire from my dmm to bare metal chassis, and then the... positive(?) from my dmm to the positive of each cap? I tried to scrounge parts to make something to drain caps if needed, but I have no component retailers near me and I only have 1/4 and 1/2w resistors in my boxes - too impatient to order online earlier this week (failed to plan ahead) which sounds like I'll have to bite the bullet and do at some point any way.

Thanks!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

When sliding the chassis out from the enclosure you can support the chassis using the power transformer (the large one on the power-cable side) and the cap can. Work slowly and deliberately and do NOT use the tubes for support. There is no shock danger during this phase of the operation.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Thanks phantomman, that helps my comfort level!

Once the chassis is out of the amp and you want to look inside the chassis, you will need something to support the chassis. Don't let the weight of the chassis be supported by any of the tubes or they will likely break. I made a quick amp support using scrap 2 x 4s glued together. The notch in the one on the left is to allow for the large rectifier tube in my Super Reverb clearance.

And to measure the doghouse capacitors for voltage you can touch your multimeter leads to the leads that come out of each end of the caps.

"When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

Good call Michael on the 2x4 support... I got the chassis out and had an oh crud moment. I ended up using the cabinet which is not ideal, but turned out there was plenty of room so nothing touched the speaker. Below are some pictures.

From what I can see, everything looks stock except the Mercury. I believe those IC caps under the doghouse are stock? They don't look to be leaking at all, other than that I wouldn't know the difference between good and bad. Tubes are stock I am sure, or at least they were replaced with what I think Fender uses (all GT's except the rectifier is just labeled Fender).

Whoever installed that transformer really wantedit in there. In addition to moving the chassis so it wouldn'thit the speaker, they also cut that protective metal cage. Maybe the previous owner had this Mercury lying around, but other than that, is therethat a benefit to making all these modifications to fit this Mercury in it? Moving the chassis especially seems like a bummer, so I am guessing whoever it was really wanted this Mercury in there.

I tried to find an ink or other stamp inside thechassis, but I can't see one - maybe its visible from the pictures? I did notethe number on some of the stock transformers, looks like a 2017 model year? frommy stumbling around online.

There's this weird piece of pressboard paperaround some of the rear jacks that fell out. I hadn't seen that in any of thepictures or videos that I've seen about the 65 reissue, unsure what its for,maybe since they are input jacks it is to prevent debris from getting inside? Iput it back because I don't know why.

Is this round thing in the picture below biasadjustment? The other side of the chassis (the side where the transformers aresitting) it looks like a 1/4" jack.

I took measurements on the caps under thedoghouse and all of the were reading in the mA range - like 10.5 to 13 or so. Iwent through all the DC volt settings on my dmm and I could only get a numberin the thousandths, until I switched to mA. Is that normal? Hope I wasn't doinganything wrong. I found out the previous owner had a cat... cat hair all upinside the cabinet which I am glad is clean now, minimal dust inside thechassis.

If anyone is curious about anything, I can crackit open again - or there might be a few more pictures I didn't post. Having done it, its easier than I thought. I really appreciate all the help, thank you!

Forum Member

I caught it on my very first post, but is it a problem for anyone else, when imbedding pictures in a post some spacebar taps don't make it into the text I type.

It looks like August, 2017 was the inspection date, so you shouldn't have to replace any capacitors anytime soon. The metal cage that they cut to fit the transformer doesn't serve any real purpose. I think it's European Union regulations that require it to prevent anyone from burning themselves on the tubes. I would remove it. Everything looks original, except for the Mercury transformer.

One thing I have learned from amp repair YT videos is that on the Fender reissue amps, often components aren't fastened very tightly at the factory. Using the proper socket, check the input jacks, speaker jacks, pots, and transformers. They are often ground points and if they aren't tight, grounds won't be solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    It looks like August, 2017 was the inspection date, so you shouldn't have to replace any capacitors anytime soon. The metal cage that they cut to fit the transformer doesn't serve any real purpose. I think it's European Union regulations that require it to prevent anyone from burning themselves on the tubes. I would remove it. Everything looks original, except for the Mercury transformer.

One thing I have learned from amp repair YT videos is that on the Fender reissue amps, often components aren't fastened very tightly at the factory. Using the proper socket, check the input jacks, speaker jacks, pots, and transformers. They are often ground points and if they aren't tight, grounds won't be solid.
    +1

I can fathom no rational reason why someone would install a 40-watt O/T in this amp -- it'll never squeeze more than 24 watts from the output tubes. It makes as much sense as Fender equipping the amp with a 100-watt Jensen C12K speaker.

Forum Member

Do you think it's worth selling it and buying an appropriately spec'd one that might fit better?

No. If the amp otherwise sounds good and gets your job done I see no reason for that.

Forum Member

Thanks phantomman. Thanks Michael, I will probably go through it and make sure everything is snug.

Be sure to check the enclosure as well -- speaker screws, baffle-board screws, handle screws, etc.

Oh, and you can ditch the tube cage, the rubber "booties" over the on/off and standby switches, and the cardboard shields behind the speaker jacks......they're only important to the fifteen-miliwatt mental midgets in charge of consumer product safety who are convinced we're too fucking stupid to operate an electric-guitar amplifier.

Forum Member

Haha... will do. Thanks for the tips. That cage is coming off for certain as is that cardboard.

Forum Member

What are the socket/wrenche sizes for nuts on jacks and pots, and others needed on these Fender amplifiers? I have used as many search terms as I could think of to find a hardware parts list, or even search for an amp tech type tool kit to pirate a tool list from but no luck. I am sure it would be useful to get some deepwell sockets to accommodate pot shafts and tight spots. I feel like I'm straying from the original topic, if I should repost let me know. Any resources I might dig into? I've spent a decent amount of time looking, maybe I'm going about it incorrectly.

Hex nut retainers for jacks and pots are 1/2".

Fifty years ago my Dad (also a telecommunications technician/engineer/administrator) gave me this set of Xcelite thin-wall sockets......

It's been a constant companion on my bench ever since.

Forum Member

Great, thanks. Those tools are worth more than money I bet.

I don't know if Xcelite makes this set anymore (or even if they're still in business) but they're invaluable for electronic and automotive work. Find a set (or a quality substitute) and keep it handy. Tools are like firearms or wristwatches......good ones last a lifetime.

Forum Member

Looks like they are still making tools, did not find that set though. I'll find one to pick up. Thanks again.

If you intend to swap pickups, replace electrolytic caps, repair cables, etc, you might consider investing in a Weller 40-watt soldering station. They're not very expensive and are much more versatile than a paleolithic-era soldering iron.

Forum Member

Ah yes. I appreciate that recommendation. I was looking at that model as well as the least expensive model with the lcd screen, which is incidentally twice the cost of that 40w model. I plan on installing a new selector switch and some better filter'tron pickups in my gretsch, and I'd like to get back into pedal building. I'm sure the 40w is fine for my needs. After some research, I want to do a couple things to my dr reissue as well. I do appreciate that recommendation, there are so many products to choose from so it helps a lot. Thanks.

Don't forget the chassis cradle that Michael suggested -- he's been at this awhile and knows what he's talking about. You can build one for next to nothing, using scrap lumber. A guitar cradle would also be a worthy investment, either home-made or store-bought.

Forum Member

Thanks for reminding me. Speaking of wood, I glanced at a previous post of yours where I think you mentioned, I might be mistaken, that you got pre-finger joint cut cabinet pieces? I'm quite a ways off from this, but at some point I'll want to use a 15" speaker. I've found some.... vibrolux I think cabinets that should fit one, but they're pushing 300 bucks. I'm getting way ahead of myself, but just curious.

A decent ready-to-rock cab for $300 is reasonable. Make sure it'll fit a DRRI chassis.