Thread: Yep, It's the Sunday Thread for June 12, 2022

Yep, It's the Sunday Thread for June 12, 2022

Good morning TFF! The dawn of a new week breaks. We're now edging onto the Summer Solstice, except for those of you in the Southern Hemisphere, where it's still likely pretty good weather. There are signs everywhere that COVID threat is waning; the waiters and waitresses at my favorite local eatery are no longer wearing masks. That's a good sign!

Last week was a training week. This upcoming week is going to be spent working with our new team to create updated training materials, something I've been wanting to do for a year now, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm also looking forward to receiving my new Holst guitar which may arrive this week! Pics when and if it shows up.

Today is supposed to be filled with heavy thunderstorms, so I'll likely be spending a lot of time working on some new songs to play at the open mic Tuesday.

Spreading good wishes to all. How's your week shaping up?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Re: Yep, It's the Sunday Thread for June 12, 2022

Well off to play bass at church. Then a 2 hr drive to look at some property we are considering. Then home. Taping the F1 race today. Monday will be unique as my boss retired (SVP). I like my new boss (another SVP), but still, I had reported to the guy for almost 4 years.
    Mark

Outside work until the rains come. I put up a small gazebo on the deck to allow us to spend more time outside, including lights. It looks pretty cool and we've already sat outside more in the last couple days than probably a couple years at least. Off to Lowes for more mulch - Ann is doing the gardens. I need to replace the ramp into my backyard storage shed - I'll probably pick up pressure treated 2x4s at Lowes.

Work will slow down for a bit - no actual training sessions planned for the rest of the month. I do have a conference to attend at the end of the month, but as a participant rather than staff... much more fun! I'm getting a new exec too - on July 1st. My boss is retiring. We actually have 3 retirements this month. The new exec has been our Deputy Director for close to 30 years, so I don't anticipate much change.

Critter Cam showed a bear wandering through our back yard last week.

Got a new fly rod last week. I picked a 3 weight rod and reel and am having fun with that! The rod was a cheap Chinese made 7' 6" (full disclosure - I got it for free to evaluate it) but it really is a nice rod. The Orvis fly line I bought for it cost more than the rod did. IT casts really nicely! Can't wait to catch a nice trout on it!

Weight loss benefit # 433 - my blood sugar levels dropped below 100 for the first time in over 20 years. I'm feeling really good about that. No more CPAP, and blood pressure is "normal" (with meds). I used to be high even with BP meds. Life is good.

Have a great week!

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

It should be a beautiful Sunday here on the west coast of Lake Michigan so we’ll be putting some two-wheel miles on while enjoying the day.

I have assembled a band of old friends (most of us played in Bryan’s bands over the years) to play the up-coming Bryan Lee memorial Blues Fest and we have a few more weeks to put together a good show. Unfortunately, my drummer was planting soybeans on Tuesday and the guy driving the tractor drove over the drummer’s foot, breaking it. He had surgery on Tuesday evening so that put him out of the show. A good friend who has played in a couple of my bands has jumped in to fill the void.

Laker - what is it with drummers and gardening accidents?

not much of a week for me, started coughing Monday, tested Tuesday, negative. Run of the mill summer cold. I haven't had a cold in probably 4 years and it kicked my ass. It broke Friday night albeit nearly breaking me. I don't think I slept more than an hour and a half before I woke up coughing, nose running and having to pee. I got up a good dozen times, my weight in the morning was 3.6 pounds lighter than the day before ! I spent most of Saturday sitting in my living room chair dozing and hydrating. Tested negative one more time just to be sure. Actually slept last night, barely any coughing.

Today, going to a celebration of life for a friend's brother, wasn't sure if I were going to be well enough to go. Hopefully get home before the thunderstorms start here. I won't be doing any outdoor stuff today. I did make a dump run on Friday, probably not the best idea but now there's a bit more room in the garage. Gotta go get ready. Have a great day.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

We are in the middle of a hot spell in SE Texas (well all of Texas and states to the West). It was 101F here yesterday, with a heat index of 111F. Rather than apply stain to the back panels of my speaker cabinet build out in the garage, I brought them inside and stained them up in my studio. I used a "gel" stain, and it dried within a few hours, so it didn't smell too bad in the room. Final step is to get the Fender style grill cloth properly installed on the speaker baffle. This will be my 3rd attempt to get the lines in the pattern to line up straight, from top to bottom and side to side. I will post pics in my speaker cabinet thread when finished.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

We didn't do a lot today- the highlight of the weekend was going to the Factory Five Racing open house with my son yesterday. He was drooling over the Type 65 Coupe, I was dreaming of the Roadsters and 818. It was nice to spend some time at an event like that with my son.