Thread: Possibly 1959 Fender Bandmaster??? Help ID Please

Forum Member

Possibly 1959 Fender Bandmaster??? Help ID Please

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a vintage amp from an estate sale that I suspect may be a hidden gem... What opted me to bid initially was the 5E7 and "Bandmaster" displayed on the partial ID label in the background of a picture.. The next was the painted area around the ID label and amateur at best Tolex job.. I am venturing to say that some time in the 60's or 70's someone tried to make this amp "cooler" by wrapping and painting it?? Could it be?? Also, at some point a speaker was replaced. All of this info I knew before bidding, the auction house would not allow pre-sale inspections so I just crossed my fingers and went for it..... I picked up the amp this morning and my discoveries have me excited a little.... I will include some pictures that I just took.. The dates on the 2 remaining Jensen p10R speakers and the pots (137926) do in fact put this at 1959, it does look like 1 capacitor was replaced?? The carry handle was for sure Brown at one point in its history but was painted black and I can see traces of a tweed material where the tolex is peeling back. The tolex job although not hateful does not look factory at all, the person could not figure how to make sharp interior bends (teenager??) so they just touched up areas they couldnt wrap with black paint.. What do you guys think?? Did i actually stumble across something here ???

** UPDATE ** I spent the night researching and learning. After taking a deeper dive, this tolex job is much better than I first thought (while taking a glance in my rear view as she was seat belted in the back seat of my pickup). I think it was done by a pro and where I thought corners were cut is just due to shrinkage. Taking my time and going slow and careful I did a pretty in depth dust removal. Then visually checked all visible solder points. I used a vacuum and my shop compressor on low pressure (yes I have an air dryer). Anyway, I couldnt resist plugging it in after I found no obvious faults or missing components. IT WORKS !!! Once the old Gal warmed up she's smooth as silk. No weird cracks, pops, phase noises or anything like that.. I only went to about 4 on the inst volume, used my old STRAT and even a Fender cable, LOL.. Next mission is finding a 59 Jensen P10R in teal without the bell. Thanks for everyones input so far, its much appreciated !! And for the guys who suggested i not plug it in, Im sorry, I just couldnt resist......

Last edited by Tjocus; 06-12-2022 at 07:37 AM. Reason: edited pictures

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Possibly 1959 Fender Bandmaster??? Help ID Please

You may be onto something but we'll need detailed pics to confirm your findings.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    You may be onto something but we'll need detailed pics to confirm your findings.

I posted 10 pictures. I can see them

Forum Member

Can anyone see the pictures I posted in the original post? I can see them but another members post leads me to believe the pictures are not visible to others???
    Thanks

No joy......the pics are not visible.

No pics. Not even "placeholders" for pics. Not even code for pics. Nada. Nothing.

Looking at the page source, I see links to Google photos, but they don't appear in the forum UI, and directly clicking on one goes to Google, but displays a "not allowed" image. Maybe your images aren't shared?

There is a method to embedding photos listed in the Front Desk section. Maybe try that.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Ok guys, I took the .jpg from the source and posted, hopefully the pictures are showing up now... Can someone confirm please??

Thanks

Pics are visible now and they do seen to confirm that the amp is a 5E7 Bandmaster.

Forum Member

Pics are visible now and they do seen to confirm that the amp is a 5E7 Bandmaster.
    Thank you !

Do you intend to perform a full restoration?

Forum Member

Do you intend to perform a full restoration?
    Not really sure yet.. what would you suggest?

A full restoration, in three phases:

Chassis

Speakers

Cosmetics

TFF Stage Crew

The fourth phase will include vigorous testing at high volume. I'm willing to take care of this part & so I'll give you my address

Forum Member

** UPDATE ** I spent the night researching and learning. After taking a deeper dive, this tolex job is much better than I first thought (while taking a glance in my rear view as she was seat belted in the back seat of my pickup). I think it was done by a pro and where I thought corners were cut is just due to shrinkage. Taking my time and going slow and careful I did a pretty in depth dust removal. Then visually checked all visible solder points. I used a vacuum and my shop compressor on low pressure (yes I have an air dryer). Anyway, I couldnt resist plugging it in after I found no obvious faults or missing components. IT WORKS !!! Once the old Gal warmed up she's smooth as silk. No weird cracks, pops, phase noises or anything like that.. I only went to about 4 on the inst volume, used my old STRAT and even a Fender cable, LOL.. Next mission is finding a 59 Jensen P10R in teal without the bell. Thanks for everyones input so far, its much appreciated !! And for the guys who suggested i not plug it in, Im sorry, I just couldnt resist......

When you get the chassis out of the cabinet, you can also post pics of the date codes on the transformers. It looks like you may have stumbled upon a real gem! As suggested, I would replace all of the electrolytic capacitors, measure all resistor values, check the bias, etc. (assuming you intend to play the amp and not just have it as a museum piece). If you can't find a speaker from the era, consider Ted Weber speakers. They make modern alnico speakers based on the "classis" models. You can specify the size of the dust cover, amount of doping on the speaker edge, and the bells are removable if you don't want them on. Mine had a screw under the label on the speaker. I carefully removed the label, unscrewed the screw and removed the bell cover. But I decided to leave them on and put the label back on, as the bell cover only adds about 1/2 inch depth to the speaker.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Finding a vintage-correct P10R may take time but they show up periodically on Ebay. If you don't wish to tamper with the original cabinet there's an Ebay vendor in New Hampshire who builds excellent reproductions -- I have one of his 5E3 enclosures and can personally attest to the quality. And there's a fellow in Russia who manufactures reproduction metal name plates for tweed Fenders which are absolutely outstanding.

Good luck with your new Bandmaster.

... there's an Ebay vendor in New Hampshire who builds excellent reproductions -- I have one of his 5E3 enclosures and can personally attest to the quality ...
    I wonder if that's the guy in Nashua? I haven't seen his work in person but the pics look great and the prices are reasonable, too. I'm thinking of having an open back 4x10 made by him with tweed cosmetics.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I believe it is.

Here's how my 5E3 clone turned out......

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I wonder if that's the guy in Nashua? I haven't seen his work in person but the pics look great and the prices are reasonable, too. I'm thinking of having an open back 4x10 made by him with tweed cosmetics.
    I see his Craigslist ads regularly. The cabinets look good and are fairly priced. Since I had that Dr. Z Nova a while ago, I've thought about a tweed Super with 1x12.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I see his Craigslist ads regularly. The cabinets look good and are fairly priced. Since I had that Dr. Z Nova a while ago, I've thought about a tweed Super with 1x12.
    +1

I don't think you'll find a more authentic ready-to-go tweed box anywhere.

And apparently he'll build any custom-spec enclosure you need.