Thread: The Sunday Thread - June 5, 2022

The Sunday Thread - June 5, 2022

Here we are again. Another week has gone by and we're now almost half way through the year. So far, the decade of the 20's has been anything but stellar.

Still, it's had its highlights. I had my long-awaited trip to Greece, and I've received word that my custom guitar is nearing completion. Today, I will finally be spending time with my grandkids. My grandson's third birthday was last week, but since the effects of COVID on my daughter delayed it until today. I haven't seen them in months now. It's funny, I was thinking I've run farther than they live from me, and yet COVID has changed things in so many ways.

I hope everyone is doing well, and that the summer now upon us, isn't too harsh or discomfiting.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread - June 5, 2022

Have a Sunday afternoon show to play. I see three Santana songs on the setlist. Darn it, that means I have to pay attention and count, lol! Ever notice how Carlos had the timbale player cue him on when to change the parts? I don't have that luxury. Since it's a Sunday it will just be singer, drums, bass, keyboards and me. (Should I livestream on the YouTube for you guys?)

Spending the morning doing boat and tackle maintenance. Trying to negotiate a retirement deal for me but between the labor shortage and world events the way they - and considering what I do - it's not going to be easy. Maybe if I show up to work stoned a few times they'll get the message.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

It’s a gloomy, damp, 55° morning here on the western shore of Lake Michigan so not much to do besides having a Bloody Mary or three with our breakfast friends followed by a lazy day with a little a little rehearsing for an upcoming gig.

We purchased a new Cadillac XT5 yesterday for my wife so we’ll be picking that up from the dealer tomorrow. When we tried it out I was surprised to find it has paddle-shifters so it will be similar to driving the Corvette. Should be fun.

Hope all have a great week!

It looks like it's going to be a beautiful day here! My allergies and covid seem to be improving, though the pollen count is still high. We got a lot done yesterday and plan to get a lot less done today!

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Maybe if I show up to work stoned a few times they'll get the message.

Chuck
    I did so yesterday. Boss pointed her fingers at her eyes, then mine. I said "Pain management, boss." She knows I'm hurting a lot now, and it does help. I was in no way disabled or impeded. If anything, I was happier and sold as much if not more. What I do is not rocket science. I could probably do it with a frontal lobe stirred up.

I thought my upcoming surgery would be an outpatient thing. Oh noooo. We're looking at a week in the hospital and three-four weeks out of work. They're going to "harvest a vein" from my right inner leg and then graft that to my popliteal artery behind my knee. Awful nastiness.

Then, I'm pretty sure I'll have an operation to remove a tumor on my adrenal gland--first a scan and biopsy.

And since my hands are fucked, I might have to have a thumb joint replacement. Fortunately, I can play guitar a while before I start to hurt.

However--it's sunny and beautiful today. I have lots of outdoor and inside jobs on my to-do list. One of the things I plan to do is get down to recording.

Have a great Sunday, everybody.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

It's going to be hot, humid and miserable this week in the Houston area. Upper 90's by the end of the week. I got down in my garage before 8AM this morning to sand and then stain the speaker cabinet I'm building, and after about an hour my shirt was pretty soaked with sweat. But it's stained with a light colored stain. Tomorrow I need to build a crosscut sled for my table saw so I can cut perfectly square edges on the panels for the rear of the cabinet. The fence that came with the saw isn't very good, even with a longer piece of wood attached. So I'll build a sled that rides in both channels on the top of the saw to be able to get nice, straight cuts.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Happy Sunday to all! I am hoping all of you with ailments can find some relief with your pain/illnesses. Two people in my office have COVID, one is our finance person who's office is next to mine. I generally wear a mask when I'm out in the main office, but we interact constantly... hoping I can stay healthy... So far she just has flu-like symptoms and a BAD headache (I hear that a lot). The other guy is our staff attorney and he's been out a couple weeks already. I guess it hit him pretty hard.

Today is wash the deck day. I got a gazebo-like tent for the summer, but want to clean the deck before assembling it. Also need to get more mulch from Lowes. Mrs. Junkie goes through that stuff like crazy.

Laker, I have paddle shifters on my Mustang and find they are pretty helpful. I still miss the clutch pedal, but nowhere near as much as I thought I would.

We have a lot going on between yardwork and house upkeep there seems to be no rest. I have a month of day work weeks - I need top use up a bit of vacation time before June 30th!

Offshore Angler, I'd enjoy watching you play - I'm sure it will be reminiscent of Jams Past... I gave my grandson a fly rod for Christmas and he is really getting into it. I hope to take him out next weekend to try it out on the Farmington River - it's a great trout stream not too far away.

Old Strummer - that guitar looks mighty cool!!!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    It's going to be hot, humid and miserable this week in the Houston area. Upper 90's by the end of the week. I got down in my garage before 8AM this morning to sand and then stain the speaker cabinet I'm building, and after about an hour my shirt was pretty soaked with sweat. But it's stained with a light colored stain. Tomorrow I need to build a crosscut sled for my table saw so I can cut perfectly square edges on the panels for the rear of the cabinet. The fence that came with the saw isn't very good, even with a longer piece of wood attached. So I'll build a sled that rides in both channels on the top of the saw to be able to get nice, straight cuts.
    I'm not allowed to use table saws any more...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    (Should I livestream on the YouTube for you guys?)

Chuck

Please!

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I did so yesterday. Boss pointed her fingers at her eyes, then mine. I said "Pain management, boss." She knows I'm hurting a lot now, and it does help. I was in no way disabled or impeded. If anything, I was happier and sold as much if not more. What I do is not rocket science. I could probably do it with a frontal lobe stirred up.

I thought my upcoming surgery would be an outpatient thing. Oh noooo. We're looking at a week in the hospital and three-four weeks out of work. They're going to "harvest a vein" from my right inner leg and then graft that to my popliteal artery behind my knee. Awful nastiness.

Then, I'm pretty sure I'll have an operation to remove a tumor on my adrenal gland--first a scan and biopsy.

And since my hands are fucked, I might have to have a thumb joint replacement. Fortunately, I can play guitar a while before I start to hurt.

However--it's sunny and beautiful today. I have lots of outdoor and inside jobs on my to-do list. One of the things I plan to do is get down to recording.

Have a great Sunday, everybody.

Sorry to hear that, Willie. But stay positive, it’ll get better after proper treatment.

good luck to CW. When do they plan to do it?

Nice day here, pollen count is almost inverse, we need an air count instead. Keeping the windows closed and running the a/c even though it's not that hot out. The little old ranch gets toasty from sunlight and our system is not really adequate, probably the cheapest, smallest available at the time. They must have thought something is better than nothing. We're not going to replace it until complete failure. We are going to supplement the central a/c with a window unit.

Got crazy last night. I had seen three different bands/acts in a single night. So nice to see live music. The first two were solo act, then a three-piece band. While my brother snoozed in his chair, I plugged a guitar in to try out my EP103 delay pedal ... finally. I bought the damn thing a year or 3 ago. Tried to use my battery adapter to run it at 9 volt. Drained that puppy before I even got the guitar plugged in. Threw another battery on and it lasted about 25-30 minutes before perishing with a most excellent sputtering whistling almost moaning sound. I have got to get that on tape.

Got some items to facilitate prepping the basement. Going to work on that today. I want to be in there before Labor Day, the sooner the better. Do some shopping for a window unit. Game later tonight. Probably stay in for this one.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Do some shopping for a window unit.
    Dan, rather than a window unit consider a portable room a/c unit. I have an LG model LP0721WSR. It's good for about 300 square feet and it plugs into a wall socket (15Amp circuit). Filters are easy to take out and wash and it's easy to remove the plastic panel that fits in the window opening during winter.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcane View Post
    Sorry to hear that, Willie. But stay positive, it’ll get better after proper treatment.

Thank you. I feel positive.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Nice day here, pollen count is almost inverse, we need an air count instead.
    Same here (I'm not that far from you). I saw a cloud of pollen as we were driving today. I sickly yellow/green cloud hugging the road. Our cars look like they've been abandoned. My head feels like it's in that sickly yellow/green cloud!

We have a good central A/C unit. We haven't had a window open in a long time. That's probably not good for my allergies either!

Thanks, Dan. My surgeon is going out of town for three weeks, so quickly after her return. It’ll be good to get that patchwork done. Healthier.